funeral pics

I don't think I'd have a problem photographing a funeral if I knew the guy/girl personally. I wouldn't zoom in on random people's crying faces though, just a few shots here and there.

I agree. It would be interesting to see how many people are actually for it, vs convinced that it might be ok.

I guess I'm a "for it". I don't usually toot my own horn but, I think these were shot with extreme care and delicacy and shot well. I had 2 back to back. Viewing Friday, service Saturday (around 200 shots), viewing Sunday, service Monday (505 edited shots).

These are memories maybe not for viewing right away; but when the family's ready, they are priceless photographs.

I guess I'm a "for it". I don't usually toot my own horn but, I think these were shot with extreme care and delicacy and shot well. I had 2 back to back. Viewing Friday, service Saturday (around 200 shots), viewing Sunday, service Monday (505 edited shots).

These are memories maybe not for viewing right away; but when the family's ready, they are priceless photographs.

I completely agree. Because when you go to a funeral for a loved one, you don't remember who was there or even the events of the day. So I think it is a great idea to shoot funerals, just so down the road you can have that memory.

I find it weird to take pictures of a funeral, and I am uncomfortable with it. My wife on the other hand, who is Filipino, does not find it as odd. In fact I think that it is common practice in the Philippines ( or maybe its just her family).

If its something that you want to do, you may want to take a look into which cultures readily accept this. You may have an easier time, by targeting them.

I have always said i want there to be an open bar at my funeral. my funeral should be a celebration because as a christian i know where i am going once i die and people should be able to celebrate my death, so in this case i think a photographer would be a great idea.

I would have no issue taking photos of a funeral, they like everything else are part of life's daily ritual. Not sure why anyone would have a problem with it, rather shoot a funeral than a wedding any day. Funeral are solemn events, people usually show true emotions and think they would present a fabulous oppurtunity to see more of what life is about even the end of one. It may seem odd because death seems strange to most, we are all going to die anyway so why not document the ritual. Why spend all the good money on a Casket, good clothes and let it go to waste, might as well get some photos of the expensive coffin before its buried for good. It is just another part of life, of course it should be photographed, we photograph war, destruction, destitution long with many other pains people suffer, and people have problems with photographing funerals? People are just odd. This could become a discussion on the absurdities of funerals, but to photograph one I just don't see where the issue is.

I tend to agree. It is a memory, and someone down the line will want to look at the photos. Whether to recall who was there, to see a familiar face or just to remember.
I have noticed that in the funerals that I have been to, not all of it is sad. There is usually some laughter, when friends and relatives recall memories they have of the deceased, smiles shared with friends and family that you haven't seen in a while, and of course tears for the dearly departed.
There truely isn't anything wrong with photographing the dead. People just think it is taboo because the main subject (of the funeral) is not with us in spirit.
But the way I look at it is, you take pictures of people sleeping, the only difference is that the person sleeping is still breathing, other than that, same position, basically.

I guess it depends how a funeral is viewed or for whom the "occasion" is for. Most definitely, the event is a time for grieving. A time to say good-bye in ones own way. A closure.

But for the person who is leaving this world, the day can be the happiest of the rest of his life. For someone who has been suffering, lingering, awaiting the inevitable, the end can be welcome. (edited for religious content)

Yes, for the left behind, it is a time of temporary mourning. But for the guest of honor's sake, it is a time of eternal celebration.

For those families who know their loved ones' final destination will be a joyous one, the opportunity to have their loved ones last moments captured in photography is well accepted and greatly appreciated.

But, imagine if that person is a Christian, a believer of Jesus Christ! That person will experience happiness and a joy that No one has ever experienced here on earth. FOR ETERNITY!

We really should leave religion out of the discussion, if not I am sure I will end up offending many, so please have the courtesy to leave it out. I think the topic should stay on the discussion. Thanks :D

When my friends (18 month old) daughter passed away of cancer, I offered to take some pictures of the funeral for her in the nicest way possible. I thought she might want to remember the flowers or the guests or the grave.. something she can privately look at in her home and grieve whenever she felt like it. Thats the beuty of photography... your memories of anything can be held in your hands.

She declined , which was fine of cours.e But I don't think its morbid.

I offer funeral photography. Thus far the only person ever to ask me about it was a jerk that was getting his jollies from being an idiot. First he asked me if I did funerals then wanted to know if I'd do the corpse in the casket then he wanted me to do his daughter's wedding then it turned out that he wanted his niece's wedding then he wanted me to email him sample images - lol. What a plonker!

Sounds like a guy who wanted something for nothing.

I guess it depends how a funeral is viewed or for whom the "occasion" is for. Most definitely, the event is a time for grieving. A time to say good-bye in ones own way. A closure.

But for the person who is leaving this world, the day can be the happiest of the rest of his life. For someone who has been suffering, lingering, awaiting the inevitable, the end can be welcome. But, imagine if that person is a Christian, a believer of Jesus Christ! That person will experience happiness and a joy that No one has ever experienced here on earth. FOR ETERNITY!

Yes, for the left behind, it is a time of temporary mourning. But for the guest of honor's sake, it is a time of eternal celebration.

For those families who know their loved ones' final destination will be a joyous one, the opportunity to have their loved ones last moments captured in photography is well accepted and greatly appreciated.

Wow, great way to take advantage of an opportunity to push your religious beliefs onto others. I feel like a Jehovah's Witness just stopped by my house!

It's just a coincidence that I attended today a funeral for my best friend's step dad. I have asked him before the funeral if he wanted me to shoot pictures and he said no. But at the funeral, he handed me his 6MP Olympus and asked me to take a few shots. Which I did. No one seemed upset and I managed to shoot some good frames, I'm sure they will go into their albums, for the memories.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back