Funerals?

My father once told me something once which, the more I think about it, is an inescapable reality: As we get older, funerals replace birthdays as a reason for family get togethers.

Personally, I would never willingly volunteer to shoot a funeral. I have a few select friends who could ask, though, and I would not hesitate in agreeing to do it.

You don't know the dynamic that existed between the deceased and the people who'll be in attendance. You don't know the underlying reason your friend hasn't seen these people in years.

None of that should matter to you with respect to the request she's made.

She's your friend. She's asked you to do something for her in a difficult atmosphere; one filled with grief, pain and, quite likely, a fair amount of regret.

Your decision should be based on how you answer these two questions: How good a friend is she to you, and how good a friend are you to her?

My father once told me something once which, the more I think about it, is an inescapable reality: As we get older, funerals replace birthdays as a reason for family get togethers.

Very true.

Funerals are mainly for the benefit of those who are left behind...for all of the reasons expressed in this thread: a show of respect for the deceased, a reason to come get together with family members, and so on. Despite the admittedly macabre aspect of photographing the cause of the event, I think your friend is merely seizing the chance to document how family members looked at this certain stage in their lives. If the photos are taken after the fact, in another venue like a park, the association will still be there, but perhaps lessened, if that makes sense. :)

All that aside, I'm sorry for her loss. It will be a sad day.

Most reactions

Back