Funny Comments you get when you have your "big" camera

Happens on occasion, then again how often do you see this:

762373696_800047b256.jpg

My 12x20 Korona.

Had someone ask me once if it was digital:lol:

Well, is it? :lol:

I did a test once when I was single. I walked up and down Daytona Beach one day with a Nikon and a 50mm and didn't get a date. Went back to my car and got an 80-200 f2.8 zoom and had a date before I got back to the waters edge. Go figure. ;)

One of Scott Kelby's books points out that if you have a big lens, people assume you're a professional, sounds like people here have the same experience. I've only had my 30D with grip and 70-200 for a few months, so no comments yet, but my family said how nice my camera was numerous times at a family outing, but my brother in law with a D70s and an 18-55 got no comments.

I did a test once when I was single. I walked up and down Daytona Beach one day with a Nikon and a 50mm and didn't get a date. Went back to my car and got an 80-200 f2.8 zoom and had a date before I got back to the waters edge. Go figure. ;)

I guess size DOES matter.

...everybody thought i was filming for the news.

I get this when I'm out with my 4x5 cameras. I don't know why people think it's a motion picture camera. Has anyone ever seen a movie camera with bellows? My field cameras and monrail don't look anything like any video camera I've ever seen.

When I'm out with my vintage cameras I've had groups of old guys follow me around reminiscing about cameras that they or their father used.

Back when I shot weddings with film I had a videographer approach me and ask if I was using a Canon. "Nope, " I told him, "this is a Hasselblad." He muttered something about "real pros use Canon", and wandered away. Ignorance is bliss, so they say. ;)

Actually this thread reminds me of another situation at uni. A few friends and I were walking around and saw someone who was clearly a tourist holding 2 cameras. One of my friends muttered your camera is better, I doubt he'd get any good shots of this court with that small thing. I just nodded.

The tourist in question was holding a Leica M5 in one hand and some brand unknown to me purpose built panoramic cameras with a vertical slit shutter.

Also whenever I take my camera out to crowded places people want me to take photos of them "for the front page" lol

I shoot horse shows. I've got Grey hair, wear a brimmed hat, 511 SWAT pants with pockets full of stuff, wild shirts, 6'-2", and carry my 30D/70-200 W/hood on a hand strap.

I come out of the arena, and swear to God, the woman says "are you THE photographer".

Depending on their age and looks, I have some fun with them.

The tourist in question was holding a Leica M5 in one hand and some brand unknown to me purpose built panoramic cameras with a vertical slit shutter.
Mmmmm.... tasty. Hasselblad X-Pan.

If you guys really want to get a date you gotta strap on the 70-200, flash unit, and lumiquest flash softbox
http://www.lumiquest.com/lq925.htm
This happened yesterday, went to a local ski resort and after getting to the top of the mountain, I saw a lady carrying her Canon 5D with a wide-angle, lens hood, and a big softbox on top of it. I was looking for someone to take a picture of my fiance and I, she made herself aware she was capable of using my 30D. :)

Her: "Is that the only thing big on you?"
Me: (slight pause) "Yes."

At a Mazda meet a few days ago I got a lot of "do you shoot professionally?" One guy who said he was ok with me being an amature said he will pay me to give his Miata a photoshoot.

I get a lot of "is that film or digital" with my "EOS DIGITAL" camera strap attached.

I've had people say "your camera is huge!" and then watch their mouths drop when I tell them it is like... one of the smallest DSLRs made. I can't wait till I finish saving for a 70-200 f/4 L then see what comments I get.

OMG. This is bad, very bad. If I hadn't left my Super-Takumar 200 in the back of a cab that fine day on my sister's wedding day circa 1971, my whole life might have been different ..... *sobs uncontrollably*

Most reactions

Back