Funny/Sad Story

adolan20

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
There is this Photo/Hobby shop in my town and as I checked them out online they say they have "experience" and a "good" selection of lenses. I decided to stop in and check out some lenses for my D40x. I go in and go directly to the counter where I am greeted by the shop owner. I asked for some Nikon lenses and he pondered for a bit then went to the case. He asked me which kind I had and I told him a D40x. He then tells me that he doesn't have any lenses for that camera model. He looks at a lens and reads "Yeah the only models this lens fits is a 50 to 200." I immediately realize he is reading the focal length of the lens and I just walked out. I think I'll stick to ordering online from BH and Adorama.

:lmao: :biglaugh:

good one!

wait

this was no joke?

:irked:

did you laugh or cry? and did you telll him?

Well that sure is a bummer.

I personally won't order any more lenses from mail-order. Dunno what it is, but I always manage to get the defective one. Somebody with similar experiences to me once suggested that mail-order places might keep re-shipping the same bad copy of a lens until someone finally accepts it or just doesn't return it, rather than going through the trouble of sending something back to its manufacturer. Dunno if that happens or not, but it certainly could. At least in retail stores you can try it with your own two hands in person before buying, and if you do discover some sort of issue it's a zillion times easier to exchange or return. I like service. :)

Yeah that is funny why would you want to support a local business when you can send your dollars to NYC and put more money into the New york economy. I mean they have a real fancy website an all.

Yeah, but why would you want to support a local business when if you ask for help, they give you nothing but BS because they don't know what they're talking about?

When I go to buy building materials at Lowe's, I like to know the guy there knows what he is talking about when he recommends a certain product - same goes with photography equipment, computer equipment, vehicle parts...

Ignore this post if you, too, were joking JIP. :)

LOL.

That really is sad XD

What camera store was this???

No not really joking I just like to support local businesses if I can afford it. I know there are some times where you canot do that when the prices are too wildly different or things are ust not available locally but along with having someone to talk to about the product and someone to return it to if there is a problem without shipping costs there is also keping money in your community. Without getting to political here I just think buying locally is the way to go if of course it is possible, but I digress I did not want to highjack this thread with this kind of discussion.

No not really joking I just like to support local businesses if I can afford it. I know there are some times where you canot do that when the prices are too wildly different or things are ust not available locally but along with having someone to talk to about the product and someone to return it to if there is a problem without shipping costs there is also keping money in your community. Without getting to political here I just think buying locally is the way to go if of course it is possible, but I digress I did not want to highjack this thread with this kind of discussion.

I completely agree! I would rather spend a few extra $$ to get a real person to talk with. Rather than sit on the phone for two hours talking to a computer! not to mention. It takes 15 minutes to drive to a local store and exchange your item vs. 2-4 weeks through back and fourth mail.(hoping they get it right this time)

I ran into the same kinda problem when i went to buy my SB-800. The guy was telling me that the 600 and the 800 were the same as far a power goes, just that you can use the 800 as a commander for other strobes...

Took that with a grain of salt, because i knew what i was talking about, but then i saw that the price of the 800 was 420 bucks.... Then i left....
Got it on B&H for about 340 with shipping....

Im all for supporting the local economy, but not when they are trying to screw me!

No worries. :) I totally feel ya, and I'm all for supporting local businesses as well - they just have to know what they're talking about when they're trying to sell me something. ;)

That's actually why I research everything I can about a particular product before I buy, whether it's online or in a brick & mortar store. That way I know what I'm talking about when I need to ask questions, and then I can judge the knowledge of the salesperson at the same time.

I'd much rather support local business and I will even spend a little extra to do so. But I'm not going to get bent over on prices. We have a pretty big photography store here in OKC. Epperson photo. They're nice and knowledgeable enough and I've bought photo paper and stuff from them, but certainly not a camera or lenses. A Pentax K10D body is $899 AFTER THE REBATE. It's about $300 less at B&H.

I've tried going to Ritz camera local and for one they will try to sell you anything not really the best thing. And they only want to talk to you if you are interested in these big ticket items. And I tried asking how much their sb-600 was and when they told me 229.00 I just walked out. It is 184 at BHPhoto. Shew...that's a rough price hike.

I'd much rather support local business and I will even spend a little extra to do so. But I'm not going to get bent over on prices. We have a pretty big photography store here in OKC. Epperson photo. They're nice and knowledgeable enough and I've bought photo paper and stuff from them, but certainly not a camera or lenses. A Pentax K10D body is $899 AFTER THE REBATE. It's about $300 less at B&H.

I've been there twice in the last few weeks :mrgreen:. They've been BUSY lately!

I'm all for supporting the local business as well that's why I went there in the first place but when they have no idea what they are talking about then I just can't handle that.

:lmao: :biglaugh:

good one!

wait

this was no joke?

:irked:

did you laugh or cry? and did you telll him?

I actually said Ok have a good day and walked out. I wasn't going to call him out on it and have us argue about it, so I just decided to leave:)

Most reactions

Back