Future of DLSRs??

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by domromer, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Antithesis

Antithesis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    It seems like there are a few things that get introduced as a sort of gimick on an otherwise run of the mill dSLR, and eventually becomes an industry standard. When I was considering my first dSLR, I remember seeing a few features like anti-dust and optical stabilization that peaked my interest in the off-brand dSLR's.

Features that are bound to become industry standards (atleast start showing up on the consumer model Nikons and Canons):

-Anti-dust sensors
    -In camera optical stabilization
    -Full frame sensors

Some things I think get omitted by manufacturers (like weather sealing, magnesium bodies, etc.) to maintain sales of their higher end models.

I also think the Megapixel race is slowing down, and companies will start focusing on different areas. For example, Nikon's new high ISO's. I'm sure the next five to ten years will yield some interesting technology.

2. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well said! :thumbup:

3. photogincollege

photogincollege TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Id like to see the full 10 stops of latitude between shadows and highlights that film has, correct me if im wrong but dont dslr's still only have 5 stops?

4. astrostu

astrostu Guest

I don't want >10 fps. It's the idea that you can shoot x fps but only for maybe 1-2 seconds before the camera slows down and it's more sporadic. I want more endurance. ;)

(If you were referring to being surprised that I didn't say this ...) it's because this is more a function of ambient light causing saturation and the sensor noise. I addressed this in my points (b) where I want lower sensor noise for any given ISO, and (d) where I want more dynamic range so that you don't reach saturation so soon (among other things). Otherwise, for things like star trails, you're limited a lot by the brightness of the sky (clouds, city lights, etc.) that will saturate your sensor rather than actual inefficiencies with the sensor.

5. Alex_B

Photos NOT OK to edit
    would not argue about +/- one stop here ,but you are right that at least most small format dSLRs are still slightly worse in this respect than even the narrowest slide film.

the main problem of today's small format dSLRs.

6. astrostu

astrostu Guest

Film gives you about 9-10 stops, consumer CCDs maybe 6 stops (early ones 3-4 stops). Astronomical CCDs have 10-11 stops. :)

My understanding is that the A/D converter in modern DSLRs are either 12- or 14-bit, which give you a range of 0-4095 or 0-16,383 in brightness. I'm not sure how it then opens the RAW in 16-bit, but I'm guessing there's some interpolation. A true 16-bit detector and A/D converter (which I believe is what the astronomical CCDs use) will give you a 0-65,535 range. However, I do not know what the conversion is to f-stops.

7. photogincollege

photogincollege TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    As to the asronomical ccd, sorry i dont have 30000 to drop on the 30 mp hassleblad. :p

8. astrostu

astrostu Guest

Good ones are more than that. ;) But my point was that the technology is out there and improving, it's just a matter of time before it makes its way into the consumer cameras.

9. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with Alex, better bayer interpolation.

10. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Depends on your camera. I can say with 100% certainty that a 1 hour exposure on the D200 will be mostly purple thanks to thermal noise on the sensor causing a weird pink purple bleed which starts at the edges after about 10 minutes, and on top of that the standard sensor noise on top of that probably causes about 2-3% of the pixels to die hot.

But the point is we don't want it :thumbup:

These people are the same people who are unable to predict what will happen next. Classic case is when a friend of mine spent a good 10 minutes trying to take a picture of a snake with it's tongue out at 5fps and a lot of cursing. I went in noticed the snake would stick it's tongue out about every 2 seconds or so and while moving. I got it on my second shot. A lot of people want 10+ fps for sports or whatnot, but they fail to realise good sports photography happened long before 10fps motordrives came out. You just need to watch the game and push the button rather than push the button and look at the game after.

11. Alex_B

Photos NOT OK to edit

There are applications where 10+ fps make sense, this is when you want to capture several snapshots of one motion/process to document it and analyse later. But this is then used in science more often and not so much in sports photography, I agree.

Also for sports I shoot with a 3fps camera, and I mostly use it in single shot mode.

12. 391615

391615 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

maybe in 20 years we will be able to take 10mp shots at 100fps.
    What about the ability to take several shots at the same time with different focus points, then to chose your focus later, I'm pretty sure Ive heard something about that.