Future of DLSRs??

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by domromer, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think with some training everyone is able to get the focus where he/she wants it.

What can be done however, for mor or less static scenes even today already, is to increase depth of field by combining shots of different focus. not in camera, but there is software to do it after you did several shots with varying focus.

Useful for macro photography.

2. nicfargo

nicfargo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    High ISO without noise. As far as long shutter speeds (over an hour) Canon has something built into their cameras that helps combat this. It is extremely inefficient though and I'm not sure how well it works. Say you take a 30 minute exposure, you have to wait another 30 minutes before you can use your camera again...I can't remember what it does exactly, but I remember reading something about it somewhere.

3. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    it does a second exposure of the same length, but with the shutter closed. then the hot pixels and all the other rubbish of that dark exposure is sort of subtracted from the image you took.

and with my 5D it jst works extremely well for night exposures! it is just a bit of a pain that after a 5 minute exposure you have to wait 5 minutes to do the next one ;)

4. nicfargo

nicfargo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yeah, that's what I've heard. I haven't used it yet with my 5D...but I'm sure I'll get around to it sometime...not like you have to be right there next to the camera when It's working.

5. RKW3

RKW3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Super powered batteries that last a few decades. (I actually heard something like that for laptops)

+

some pacman games or something. What else are you supposed to do when you take really long exposures?

6. rom4n301

rom4n301 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i would like the camera to move around on its own and make perfect pictures for me that would sell like crazy :)

7. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I really want THE perfect lens. 10mm-500mm f/0.5 FX format under 2 lbs and resolving power better than 100 LPMM with no CA, barrel or pincushion distortions. Oh, and pro quality build w/AF-S, VR, no plastic. Wow, what a lens that would be.

8. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    To get the ball coming out the finger or shoe tips, now it takes a bit of luck

9. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Improved auto focus when panning to eliminate background focusing, why because I have tons of ski shots of a rider coming off a kicker where the first few short are in focus but next 2 or 3 have background focused, why should any camera ever go from 25 ft to infinity focus within 2-4 seconds

Zone auto focus also to eliminate background focusing, same reason as above, to be able to set min and max focus, not for DOF but to force camera only to focus with in the zone

Larger buffer for sequencing

High ISO with no noise

A good digital back for old Hassy for fewer than 5K

10. JonnyGEE

JonnyGEE TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    One day it will get to the point where ANYONE can take an outstanding picture by using a 100MP camera with infinity aperture (but as sharp as f11 - no diffraction) and then crop in 1000% (for example) to the part of the image that is actually interesting and then edit the background to be blurred and create pleasant bokeh to give the impression of a high quality fast lens. When this day comes, i'll be leaving this joint!

However, i would love the ability to change from full-frame sensor mode, to 1.5x crop or even 2.0x (with the megapixel capability of just a wee bit more than 5mp on the D3!) just to get the extra reach in different situations (although of course this would result in higher noise but i would be aware of it and use it only in light situations or use the noise to my advantage).

A good estimate for the future?

Jonny

11. domromer

domromer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd love a flip out LCD like a lot of the Canon p&S have. I think it's such a great feature.

12. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

The current trend in the midrange digital cameras is 2 megapixels per year from 8 to 10 to 12. This will continue. Approaches are being taken with new chips and workarounds to reduce noise at higher ISOs. This will also continue. The top range of ISOs is 6400 and this will also climb higher. Dynamic range optimizers in cameras are working in the direction of bringing the hdr function into a one shot menu function. Dual camera processing chips are coming in which will increase speed, internal focus, and other functions. Colour needs to go beyond 16bit to be the equivalent of film at around the equal of 42bit in digital terms.

The above improvements lead to other problems that need to be solved. Multi-megapixel images with 42bit colour and high dynamic range require multi-megabyte storage. Memory cards will need to go multi-gigabyte toward 20 and higher. Recording the more complex image will need to be at the same speed as current smaller images in the cameras.

Postprocessing will need to handle larger picture files with the same speed and efficiency as the current smaller ones. That means faster computers and faster hard drives and other storage devices.

Batteries will also need more power to handle faster microprocessing action and larger amounts of photographic data. At the same time they will have to last at least as long as the current ones, if not longer.

Progress will probably continue at the current rate because so many areas of technology are involved and inter-related.

skieur