What's new

Future of Micro Four Thirds

etune

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 10, 2011
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I have two micro 4/3 lenses and I was thinking of adding a third. Before I invest too heavily in a lens system, I want to know if the technology will be around in the future.

My question then is, after 3 years, has the introduction micro 4/3 been viewed as a success?

Thanks.
 
I think so. I've been using a borrowed GH1 with the video hack and I've been more than satisfied with the image quality I've gotten out of it.

On top of that it is much more compact than regular DSLRs.

Don't forgot that with adapters almost any lens can be put on a m4/3s body. Most will allow infinity focusing as well.
 
I'm with you, I like it as well. But does the general public like it? Are they selling lots of these things?
 
I do believe they are....I've been thinking of an Olympus EP-2 as a way to get my wife into it.

It's small and it will fit a 20mm pancake and be very portable and yet still get great shots.

I think that unless you need a full frame for landscapes or insane fps for nature or sports that 4/3s is a good option.

Especially for discreet stuff.
 
I'm with you, I like it as well. But does the general public like it? Are they selling lots of these things?

Lots is relative. In the USA, the format is not selling all that well. Among the most-active TPF members we have usayit, kundalini, and Ron Evers who use the m4/3 system. I cannot think of any other members by name, who are using the m4/3 system, although surely there must be a few more. The cameras and lenses are quite compact, and that's always a plus. You should probably just buy what it is you want to buy, without worrying too much about over-investing in lenses. Life is too short to worry about what other people think of your photography equipment.
 
I use one but it is not my main camera, it is my point &shoot when traveling and don't want to carry around a lot of equipment.

Have been thinking about another lens but since i use it only occassion I can't seem to pull the "string" on another lens.

I am very pleased with the results and agree with Derrel"s comment "life is to short to worry about what other people think of your photography equipment". In fact it
s to short to worry about almost anything others think.

Saw a lot of them in Shanghai.
 
Life is too short to worry about what other people think of your photography equipment.

I only care what others think because it affects a product's life cycle.

I might think that Betamax is better that VHS, but that doesn't make buying a Betamax a better investment. (I hope you all are old like me, so you get that reference.)
 
They seem to sell a lot here in Ireland, a lot of camera shops I have been in have more Olympus and Panasonic cameras on show than DSLRs. Even if they ceased production now the technoheads would sell off what they have to get the "new" system so you could probably always pick up lenses etc to fit
 
I think they are a new strong market to consider - the problem they have with a community like TPF is that many here are more early in their photography hobby, so they are still collecting/building their working DSLR setup of 1.6 or fullframe (or further) cameras and lenses. There are not a few, like myself, who see the micro 4/3rd Hybrids as a great walk around camera for the DSLR shooter who wants a smaller, point and shoot like camera without losing the versatility nor quality that they are used to with DSLR.

As such on forums where there is a larger older population of photographers who have already spent their money investing in their DSLR setups there are many more m4/3rds users because they've the disposable income to put into the system (since a good m4/3rds system is probably going to run £1000-2000 easily for a complete setup).
 
You should probably just buy what it is you want to buy, without worrying too much about over-investing in lenses. Life is too short to worry about what other people think of your photography equipment.

Agreed.

Outside the US, the system is doing quite well. In the US, not so much so.... there are many reasons why. My personal thought is that we have a "me too" biased culture. Nothing wrong with that but it does mean market presence drives sales; ie Nikon and Canon. Its well earned presence as both produce excellent options. Buy whatever makes you happy regardless of what everyone else thinks. If its compact size means you'll shoot more with comfort, then its a good fit.

Will the system be around in the future? I don't have a crystal ball but look at the trend:

* Panasonic and Olympus cameras are now well into their 3rd or past generation camera since their release.
* Several other companies have or currently introducing their mirrorless competitors
* Panasonic and Olympus have expanded their line of lenses. Including high end expensive options that would only be there if both saw a market to sell them.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom