FX Vs DX for semi-beginner

Amateurs talk about gear.
Professionals talk about technique.
Artists talk about light.

Agreed. However, gear in some cases, can limit one from achieving a desired result even when one possesses the underlying skill. I just got a 14mm prime. No matter how skillful I might have been prior to that acquisition, there are certain shots I simply could not get with the gear I had previously.

Regarding the move to the 750 it sounds like the conundrum of "Do I 'upgrade' to full frame?" and my response is that they are not mutually exclusive. I frequently carry both. One is not inherently better than the other. They are just different tools. I may be out shooting landscapes in a spot that also has interesting wildlife. The full frame has the wider lens on it and the crop sensor that long lens. Now I'm ready for that eagle that soars overhead while shooting the Blue Ridge Mountains as they disappear into and endless horizon.

Glass is a different story. I would suggest getting the best (optically) and fastest glass you can afford and then, as @480sparky is suggesting, hone your skills and your eye. The weekly challenges on this forum are a great way to practice.

I'm late to this conversation but I'm a long-time Nikon shooter so I'll share my thoughts.

1. Gear is critical for certain types of photography: sports, wildlife in particular. But otherwise, there's no reason you can't get lovely photos with a D7200.

2. Upgrading your tripod is massive for long exposure photography (like...blurred water, low-light). Part of the way you cope with noise and high ISO is a longer exposure and that requires a rock solid tripod--what you had before was crap and the Manfrotto is a quality upgrade. If you do anything involving sunrise/sunset or long exposure in daylight, invest in a high quality neutral density filter or GND filter--no plastic POS.

3. If I was looking for an inexpensive landscape lens for a DX camera,the DX 35mm f1.8 that you have is a good choice. You'll get chromatic aberration in strong light, and distortion of lines when you're shooting archectecture. But for nature scenes, it will be sharp, light-weight, and inexpensive. The lens you've got isn't a bad prosumer walking around lens (ie: put one lens on the camera, don't switch to anything else, and then use just that). But for an inexpensive landscape lens, look for a wide angle prime--that would be my advice that won't break the bank.

4. Other than the things I've just mentioned here, my suggestions for "upgrades" would be to improve your knowledge and skill. That's not meant as an insult. Yes, keep shooting like crazy. But also look at classes and books. Learn about composition (which is often the difference between "oh, that's a nice picture of that mountain" vs. "woah--look at how that all comes together--what an eye!").

After that, as you look at upgrades, start to think about where you want to go as a photographer. If you decide you want to shoot sports. Or wildlife. Or portraiture. Or architecture. Or street photography. It is going to make different demands on your gear. Which will suggest what to buy and when to buy it. On the other hand, if you aren't going to print gigantic photos or blow them up to poster size (but instead, just post on the web), a crop-sensor is more than fine.

Last edited:

Hello Joe,

thanks much to your input .. I agree with you completely ..

1) I decided to stick \w my D7200 .. I will keep this camera and won't change it any time soon .. even if I'll have a FX camera in future, D7200 will be my secondary camera that I will treat with love and care ;) .. I have in my TODO list (\wo specified when) to upgrade to mirrorless sometime in (far) future

2) I have upped my tripod as I've outlined above ... it's just lovely piece of hardware now compared to my Velbon tripod grandpa ..

3) I've invested to lenses so now I have this set

Nikon 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6 VR DX - these were kit lens with my Nikon .. They are just universal and *good* for almost everything
Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX - My secondary lens, weird that I don't use them much .. Perhaps mostly in indoors, I need to give them better chance in outdoors
Tokina AT-X 11-20mm f/2.8 PRO DX - my new (since Nov/2020) lens for wide landscape .. they are ultra-sharp and have great performance overall, I need to get used more on composition with them .. they pump a lot of air to the picture especially on wide-end (~ $400 used)
Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR FX - my future (Santa will bring them) telephoto lens, put my hands on them only for little while when was buying them (~ $300 used)

I believe, that this set is **more than enough** for my needs ..

4) I do best what I can .. I'm just actively trying to learn, improve and build my skill .. I have some books, I'm watching vids and use other resources on imternet, I've teamed up in my local town with some other ppl with same hobby ..

regards, dan

This may sound harsh, but:

Amateurs talk about gear.
Professionals talk about technique.
Artists talk about light.

"Better gear" "better photos". And without seeing your current work, it's impossible to say whether any 'better' gear would garner you 'better' images.

hello, when I've joined this forum 2 months ago and asked for some answers you've told me to show photos .. I've uploaded some to gallery, here you go

Album: 2020

Hello,

I am new to forum, my dearest apologize for asking this question - my sixth sense says me that it has been asked many times in many variations ...

I am now thinking about to selling that all and going for FX, specifically

Nikon D750 with Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED (it's set) +
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 28mm f/1.8G
regards, dan

I'm personally a fan of full frame cameras because of the high resolution and lower light capability. If you shoot a lot of wildlife and birds then DX cameras are better because the crop factor gets you more reach with FX lenses, then I'd consider the D500.

The D750 is a very fine camera, and the 24-120 is also a very fine lens. The 28 1.8 is a very good lens too. What would the purpose of the 28mm be. I had it briefly but choose 2 primes instead.

I shoot a D750 and almost purchased the 24-120 lens but opted for primes for compactness and lighter weight, but you loose convenience and versatility of a zoom. I only use 3 primes and went with the 24 1.8, 35 1.8ED, and my old 180 2.8 EDIF. Primes suite me fine, but others think there too restrictive, but that's one thing I like about them...makes you think about what to shoot when out with only one prime.

I take the 24mm out for nature hikes, and it's not to wide to shoot people too.
I use the 35mm when I'm out with the intent to shoot people for street and people gatherings, yet it's wide enough to capture nature shoots.
I seldom use the 180mm but take out for close-distance wildlife photos. This is my least used lens for my style of photos. Many use this lens for portraitures, but I'm not a portrait photog, as I prefer people in their surroundings.

My ramblings and 2¢.

Last edited:
Nth hiya
I am canon user so don’t know Nikon but the debate between crop senior and full frame is something that is seen a lot
I shoot with a crop sensor and do big panarmars nearly 2mts long but I take up to 30 shots and stich them together
Looking at your first post you are already doing what was going to be my first suggestion .. to practice
Go out there push the limits when you can’t do what you want to do and can’t find a work around
Then think about reanalysing your kit
I have seen to many wanna be with the latest kit hanging off them who never get a good photo
Up to the start of 2020 I was pushing my kit to the very limit and was looking at a change,
To get the amount of upgrade I wanted I would have to gone to med format
But covid lockdown and that my Mrs has an illness that has moved into end stage which means I care for her 24/7
I have not got taken more than 5 images two years ago that number was 15k
Final thoughts
If photography is your hobby and you can afford to upgrade then think about it
See earlier advice
Don’t up grade just because someone says You really must have this or advert hype
Look at what is right for you
I can say this lens or that bit of kit is a must have, for me that is, but it may not suit you
As you have seen peeps here will put their ideas and answers to questions and when you get to the
I want to do this, image but don’t know how or improve this image there are a lot here who will offer advice and help
Wish you the best for the new year have fun

ooking at your first post you are already doing what was going to be my first suggestion .. to practice
Go out there push the limits when you can’t do what you want to do and can’t find a work around

Indeed. Practice is important. I don't know what I need until I'm sure I can't get the shot with what I've got. Oh, and read the manual, or at least skim it so you know your equipment's capabilities.

ooking at your first post you are already doing what was going to be my first suggestion .. to practice

Indeed. Practice is important. I don't know what I need until I'm sure I can't get the shot with what I've got. Oh, and read the manual, or at least skim it so you know your equipment's capabilities.

yes sir, beyond reading through whole manufacturer's manual just because of enthusiasm I've also bought a book about that ... but more I know about my camera and about all those fancy features the more I realize that I actually need a very minimal set of features that my hardware offers ;)

now I believe that the most important is to have a solid photography workflow while handling the equipment .. this comes along with properly configured camera to fit to workflow of course so now I understand, after X years owning a camera with those buttons, what's U1 and U2 good for ;)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back