Rosy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
thinking about eventually going to a full frame - do lots of portraits/closeups
can you see my gear and tell me which lens is compatible
especially my Tamron's SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD.8

Exactly; you can shoot those with an 8x10 Sinar, or a Minox; sensor size isn't the issue.

this is my gear

Nikon D80 - Nikon 85mm f/1.8; Tamron 15-50mm f/2.8; Nikon 70-300mm F3.5-5.6; Nikon SB900

Both Nikkor lenses are FX, so they will work, although the 70-300mm is a consumer grade lens.

Unfortunately, I don't know Tammy from Adam. A quick check said it was a DX format.

BTW, I live in the Raleigh area too.

But you still didn't answer what you need that your gear isn't doing for you...

Ummm, how about High ISO, DOF control, better focusing ability, more focus points, more external controls, better view finder, faster fps, etc, etc, etc.

Going to a full frame body isn't just about sensor size. It's a completely different class of camera.

DOF control

Is not a property of the camera alone - lenses and distances (both from camera to subject and camera to background as well as the distance between subject and background) are also key factors - though I'll give you that its easier done with a larger sensor.

High ISO, better focusing ability, more focus points, more external controls, better view finder, faster fps, etc, etc, etc.
Um I can get all those with an upgrade in crop sensor - heck things such as fsp and focusing abilities are sometimes better in the crop sensors than in the fullframe options.

Fullframe isn't, 100% better, its just a different format and its important to be clear in what specific advantages the larger sensor will give you whilst also appreciating what it (and the camera bodies its in) won't give you.

DOF control

Is not a property of the camera alone - lenses and distances (both from camera to subject and camera to background as well as the distance between subject and background) are also key factors - though I'll give you that its easier done with a larger sensor.

High ISO, better focusing ability, more focus points, more external controls, better view finder, faster fps, etc, etc, etc.
Um I can get all those with an upgrade in crop sensor - heck things such as fsp and focusing abilities are sometimes better in the crop sensors than in the fullframe options.

Fullframe isn't, 100% better, its just a different format and its important to be clear in what specific advantages the larger sensor will give you whilst also appreciating what it (and the camera bodies its in) won't give you.

Overread, do you own or shoot a full-frame camera to back up all these assertions you make? Or is this just your 'intuition' talking, overread?

Oh, yeah, that's what I thought...no actual experience in what you are talking about...

DOF control

Overread, do you own or shoot a full-frame camera to back up all these assertions you make? Or is this just your 'intuition' talking, overread?

Oh, yeah, that's what I thought...no actual experience in what you are talking about...

I've a 35mm camera - film too!
Its in the cupboard....... I've yet to get the film to load right (ok I only tried once)... but its in there it is!

And I stand by what I said - ISO, fps, better focusing ability, more focus points, more external controls, better view finder - these are upgradable features not unique to the fullframe sensor over the crop sensor. One can improve upon each area with an upgrade in the crop sensor camera line. Maybe some (eg ISO) are not as big a jump as if one were to go to fullframe granted; but they are not properties unique to the fullframe sensor format cameras.

I swear I see so many full frame crop sensor talk in the past few days. Everyone is going pro or what?

I swear I see so many full frame crop sensor talk in the past few days. Everyone is going pro or what?
It's what all the cool kids are doing.

What I find funny is all the questions of motive for wanting FF. Seems to be some haters out there....... or envy.

Okay, I've asked this elsewhere but I haven't asked it here. It seems that FF is held with high esteem here. But other forums seem to think it is unnecessary to go FF for certain types of photography. My original question I asked in another forum was "do you need a full frame camera to even begin shooting professionally?" and "is FF the holy grail in which all professional photographers should work towards?"

"do you need a full frame camera to even begin shooting professionally?"

Define "shooting professionally" and then you can weigh up if the advantages over a 35mm frame are going to enhance your professional product. For some it will and for some it won't.
Eg pro landscape you might want to go medium or even large format - weddings maybe 35mm - wildlife or sports 1.6 or 1.3 crop.

"is FF the holy grail in which all professional photographers should work towards?"

Nope - the "Holy Grail" form most (at least so far as gear is concerned) is to have equipment that meets your needs regarding your shooting conditions, method and creative vision - for pros it also requires that your gear allows you to produce a product suitable for your clients needs.

the tamron 17-50mm is a crop sensor lens, it will work on nikon full frame but at only 2/3rds the resolution (half the megapixels). youll still get the high iso benefits, but the dof will be the same as if it was shot on your d80.i would expect the 6mp dx shots taken with a d700 to still look significantly better then those taken with the d80

keep in mind that you can likely trade the 17-50mm in for a tamron 28-75 or sigma 24-70mm full frame f2.8 lens--the resale values of all these lenses are similar, and 24-70mm on full frame is nearly identical to 17-50mm on dx.

Most reactions

Back