Gaboon viper (I think)

rick93

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Had a hard time taking a 'nice' shot (what I call nice is probably still rubbish for you guys) of this snake. There was pretty much no light whatsoever.
Guessing a larger dept of field would have been better?

Take care-

Yeah.. it's a Gaboon Viper... where did you get this shot?

Not bad at all!

Gaboons are beautiful! Not a bad shot... assuming through glass, at the local zoo? I know they are native to to SW Ghana?

Yes these snakes are local here. Beautiful but really nasty. Neighbour got bit by one and couldn't walk for at least 3 months, eventhough he got the anti-venom.
A guy here in the village caught this snake with his hands in the bush. I was quite suprised really, maybe he was drunk?
Have the snake in a terarium. Didn't take this picture through glass, Opened the little terarium and thankfully had my 70-300mm for distance :er: Snake sure is vicious.
Hope to take the snake out sometime and take some better shots.

They're normally very docile.. though I still wouldn't fool with it. They have a very high venom yield.. surprised to hear that it's viscious... also surprised somebody had the nerves to try and catch one by hand.. wow ...

They're normally very docile.. though I still wouldn't fool with it. They have a very high venom yield.. surprised to hear that it's viscious... also surprised somebody had the nerves to try and catch one by hand.. wow ...

I have handled some Rattlers that way... and some other species are relatively safe if you know what you are doing. But always better not to....

The only way I'd handle that or a rattler is with the business end of a gun. That way I know for sure that he won't mess with me and I won't mess with him anymore. ;)

The only way I'd handle that or a rattler is with the business end of a gun. That way I know for sure that he won't mess with me and I won't mess with him anymore. ;)

I feel the same way about people that kill things they don't need to... ;)

They have a right to live, and we would be buried in pests and rodents without them. Show some respect for them.. and they won't mess with you. They just want to be left alone! Evolve, DON'T be a Neanderthal!

I was bitten by a diamond back years ago... not fun. But it only acted because it felt threatened.

Right before it happened I had that same thought that has come back to me over and over again through the years..

"Ah hell.. "

A buddy of mine back in the late 80's was an archaeology major in college. He was on a "dig" of some sort in Africa somewhere, eating lunch under a tree when a black mamba dropped into his lap from the tree. He was bit and nearly died. He survived but lost his vision in one eye and today still walks with a cane and a limp. So bizarre.

This is probably understating a black mamba falling in your lap... but... bummer. :lmao:

A buddy of mine back in the late 80's was an archaeology major in college. He was on a "dig" of some sort in Africa somewhere, eating lunch under a tree when a black mamba dropped into his lap from the tree. He was bit and nearly died. He survived but lost his vision in one eye and today still walks with a cane and a limp. So bizarre.

There are some bites that are worse than others.. no doubt about it! Mamba's are nasty... he is lucky he survived, period! And I can only imagine life afterwards... very traumatic. Very sorry to hear that happened!

Guy: "Man, I've had the worst day ever.. how's yours going?"

Friend: "Black mamba fell in my lap during lunch... what happened to you?"

Guy: "Nothing .. been a pretty good day.. "

There are some bites that are worse than others.. no doubt about it! Mamba's are nasty... he is lucky he survived, period! And I can only imagine life afterwards... very traumatic. Very sorry to hear that happened!

He had a great support system at home. Some years later his mom appeared on Wheel of Fortune (no joke) and she played Santa Clause every year at the school function! She was awesome! (looney as hell, but a good lady). :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back