Gaming laptop for PS/LR?

Warhorse

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got cold feet about the nonapple renewed Apple MacBook Pro that I mentioned in my other thread.

Is a gaming laptop a viable/good choice to use for photo editing/processing with PS/LR monthly subscription?

This is a brand new laptop that I am wondering about, and advise and opinions are appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/GP63-Leopard-i7-8750H-Notebook-Computer/dp/B07BYJNT4B/ref=sr_1_11_sspa?keywords=msi+laptop&qid=1574868897&sr=8-11-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyUU5QMkRNVVdON1VIJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTI3MTcwWTVGUDhDU0tBSDExJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA2MTMwMjIxTjdZREw2NFMxQTkwJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfbXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
MSI are a pretty decent brand, processor looks good with 6 cores, RAM looks more than adequate, 500GB SSD is good. I'd question if you'd really need a GTX1060, but it is a middle of the road GFX card now. It does look really good value for money and probably a little bit more than you need for lightroom and photoshop.

I'm not sure exactly how many cores lightroom and photoshop need though I'm pretty certain it's not many and they only use the gfx card for a few uses and even then a basic one should be sufficent.

Check the display type. I didn't see it mentioned in the specs on the Amazon page. Gamers have a tendency to prefer TN displays because of their response time. Photographers tend to prefer IPS or similar displays and not TN.

Joe

Weepete, it will be used as my main computer. I just wanted to make sure that it will handle anything I want it to do as far as photo processing. Not that I do a lot right now, but my current laptop with just 4 gig of RAM, slow processor, and a slow 500 HDD is a real dog. It only cost $200 four years ago.

Ysarex, yes it is IPS.

15.6" Full HD IPS-Level 144Hz 3ms Display (1920 x 1080)

Weepete, it will be used as my main computer. I just wanted to make sure that it will handle anything I want it to do as far as photo processing. Not that I do a lot right now, but my current laptop with just 4 gig of RAM, slow processor, and a slow 500 HDD is a real dog. It only cost $200 four years ago.

Should be a massive upgrade then mate. I've got an HP Z book workstation for my work computer with similar specs, (i7, 32GB RAM 500GB SSD, QHD IPS touchscreen, thunderbolt connections) though it's only dual core and built in gfx. It's great though, I'm sure it would have zero problems with lightroom and photoshop so positive that you'll see a benefit.

Great call from Joe about the screen, though more and more gamers are switching to IPS for better viewing angles and deeper blacks since the >5ms response time IPS panels have become avalible and have become much cheaper. 120Hz has been superseded by 144Hz or 240Hz now.

The one thing that you'll tend not to find with a gaming rig is a high-res screen paired with cheaper hardware as it takes a lot more to run a high end display with the 3D rendering, for top titles. Most gamers would rather run 1080p resolution and put the extra money saved into a better GPU and higher frame rates.

Have a look at workstations before you pull the trigger, you might find one with a better screen, and lower teir gfx card (but everything else performance based) which would be what I would be looking for if I didn't game

Though everyone knws that RGB instantly gives you a 25% performace increase even if you can't see it ;)

Thanks guys, I just now bought it.

I prefer a custom video editing desktop over something that is already built for something else. I built my own custom gaming/editing photography and video editing desktop. To build your own custom editing computer you are looking to spend some money anywhere between $1,000 and up all depends on what all you want in the computer. Mine cost me around $5,600 with all the high end hardware and stuff I needed. What cost so much is the memory, processor and the motherboard plus also the monitor of your choice and computer case.

- Jamie

Sounds like it's an awesome machine you built. Congrats on your technical skill set, and monetary situation to accomplish the build of your choice.

Sounds like it's an awesome machine you built. Congrats on your technical skill set, and monetary situation to accomplish the build of your choice.

Yes sir, I'm a avid PC online gamer as well so it helps to know what I need :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back