Gardeners! Share your garden photos and garden chatter here.

Would this keep other rodents away? I took down my bird feeders, except for the hummingbirds, during Covid because some neighbors saw rats in their yard and I was told that the bird seed attracts them. Would love to out them back out.
Yes, rats and squirrels don't like the heat, especially since they will normally get it on their sensitive noses, so they learn to steer clear and find less painful sources of food. Most mammals have enough sense to stay away from hot stuff, except humans, we seem to like pain. 😁 I can open a bottle of heat and let my dogs sniff, and they back right up.

Probably so. All mammals are repelled by capsaicin. Except humans, who seem to have a masochistic love of painful heat.
There's a little pizza place on Main Street near 121 called Fun Pizza Kitchen, which is an Indian fusion place. I ordered their tandoori chicken salad... whoooeeee! 🔥🔥🔥 If you like spicy food and a different take on pizza, they are worth a look.

Hey, that sounds good. Mrs. Barbarian is not a fan of heat, but we'll go take a look.

Never achieved lasting squirrel deterrence from anything other than physical barriers. Chicken wire and bird netting laid flat on beds and sections of stove pipe or 4-5" aluminum ducting hung around feeder poles frustrate the rodent gangs in my 'hood. Keeping feeders out of range of tree/shrub launching pads is mandatory.
But I do enjoy watching them fall like Wile E. Coyote when they misjudge distances!

Last edited:
Never achieved lasting squirrel deterrence from anything other than physical barriers. Chicken wire and bird netting laid flat on beds and sections of stove pipe or 4-5" aluminum ducting hung around feeder poles frustrate the rodent gangs in my 'hood. Keeping feeders out of range of tree/shrub launching pads is mandatory.
But I do enjoy watching them fall like Wile E. Coyote when they misjudge distances!

They are really good when they are motivated.

Some more spring flowers.

20240226_153008.jpeg
And another spring flower shot.

I know I said I’d stop, but well, maybe this is the last one. (This week anyway.)

Crabapple bush popped this weekend.

20240302_170403.jpeg

I know I said I’d stop, but well, maybe this is the last one. (This week anyway.)

Crabapple bush popped this weekend.

View attachment 272146
Sadist...
Seriously, though, my part of S. Ontario got whacked on March 4, 2023 with around 40cm(16-ish ")of snow.
Today it's around 50F, zero snow/ice left, early spring bulbs poking up, flowering shrubs budding, migratory birds passing thru. Spring? Maybe...
A bit worried about a long, dry summer 2024.

Last edited:
3-5 inches of snow overnight that's put the braver spring bulbs on hold. Flowering shrubs? No chance!

Sigh - cold here today and lots of rain on the way. I’m planning my dahlia garden while I wait for warmer weather. These are the varieties I’m planting this year. The ones with the hearts are from last year and the tubers survived winter storage! The others are all either traded for locally or ordered online and waiting for delivery. I got two new 4x2 raised beds for along my fence so I can fit these all in!

IMG_7258.jpeg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back