Gardeners! Share your garden photos and garden chatter here.

Broccoli harvest is under way, cut 3 head about 6 to 8 inches across so far, 10 left to fill out. Then onto the side shoots. Th brocolini should start coming then, if I’ve time the planting right. (Almost never do.) Pole beans are up decently, with the trellis up.

I’m usually further along, but this month has been brutal on us. Good riddance May 2023, here’s to a better June.

Broccoli harvest is under way, cut 3 head about 6 to 8 inches across so far, 10 left to fill out. Then onto the side shoots. Th brocolini should start coming then, if I’ve time the planting right. (Almost never do.) Pole beans are up decently, with the trellis up.

I’m usually further along, but this month has been brutal on us. Good riddance May 2023, here’s to a better June.

June is getting off to a hot start here with 88° expected tomorrow!

Allium
13346457_523502974519446_9091481184117001549_n.jpg

June is getting off to a hot start here with 88° expected tomorrow!
Our little heat wave is coming to an end, and starting tomorrow the temps will be going way down again. Still dry around here.

We went from thinking the rain and chill would never stop to a hot dry spell. At least we can control the watering!

My Major Wheeler honeysuckle has one bloom on it, and the rest is just starting to reach out. Very pleased with the little one.

Some blooming now but we need rain.....
_3835756 (3).JPG
_DSC7733 (2).JPG

Our little heat wave is coming to an end, and starting tomorrow the temps will be going way down again. Still dry around here.

We went from thinking the rain and chill would never stop to a hot dry spell. At least we can control the watering!

My Major Wheeler honeysuckle has one bloom on it, and the rest is just starting to reach out. Very pleased with the little one.
It was 90° here on Friday and freezing and rainy all day yesterday. Cold (60’s) and rainy predicted for the week. No blooms on my Mjr Wheeler yet. A ton on the Scentsation honeysuckle I planted last summer ready to burst open.

Peonies are popping and so are the roses. Not sure if they’ll all be mush after a week if rain or if they’ll thrive. We’ll see!

Some blooming now but we need rain.....
Will send some rain your way!

I managed to get my new rain barrel diverter installed on Friday despite the heat. The rain started Friday night and the barrel is already full. I haven’t finished painting it yet. Got the base down and once we have a few dry days I’ll be adding some flowers or something before putting on the sealer coat.

IMG_2329.jpeg

I've used these recycled Greek olive oil drums for several years. Sold annually across S.Ontario by charities. The RainBarrel CA diverters are great. Allow optional multiple barrel hook-ups. Accessible filters stop crud entering the barrel(and plugging the tap). Nearby hosta plainly digging the overflow hose placement.

PS: Tried the Mystic diverter you're using. Total fail. The design's reliance on surface tension to put water where you want it just didn't work. Happy yours is. Great insurance again dry spells and extortionate water bills.

RainBAa.jpg

I've used these recycled Greek olive oil drums for several years. Sold annually across S.Ontario by charities. The RainBarrel CA diverters are great. Allow optional multiple barrel hook-ups. Accessible filters stop crud entering the barrel(and plugging the tap). Nearby hosta plainly digging the overflow hose placement.

PS: Tried the Mystic diverter you're using. Total fail. The design's reliance on surface tension to put water where you want it just didn't work. Happy yours is. Great insurance again dry spells and extortionate water bills.

View attachment 266263

Looks great! I’m going to use one of our short hoses to direct the overflow to the hydrangea to the right of the photo.

This will be used primarily for filling my watering can. For the things I hand water and to mix with the liquid bloom food.

It was 90° here on Friday and freezing and rainy all day yesterday. Cold (60’s) and rainy predicted for the week. No blooms on my Mjr Wheeler yet. A ton on the Scentsation honeysuckle I planted last summer ready to burst open.

Peonies are popping and so are the roses. Not sure if they’ll all be mush after a week if rain or if they’ll thrive. We’ll see!

Will send some rain your way!

I managed to get my new rain barrel diverter installed on Friday despite the heat. The rain started Friday night and the barrel is already full. I haven’t finished painting it yet. Got the base down and once we have a few dry days I’ll be adding some flowers or something before putting on the sealer coat.

View attachment 266257
That looks terrific - I really like the spigot on the top as well as the bottom. Is that a 50-gallon barrel? Plain old barrel and you added a diverter after market, or did it come with the barrel?

For the first time ever, I am living in an area with seriously high water bills, billed quarterly. I want to be able to get my vegetable garden going next year (wasn't at all in the cards this summer with all the other projects), and the thought of all that watering gives pause. So a rain barrel is going to be a must.

That looks terrific - I really like the spigot on the top as well as the bottom. Is that a 50-gallon barrel? Plain old barrel and you added a diverter after market, or did it come with the barrel?

For the first time ever, I am living in an area with seriously high water bills, billed quarterly. I want to be able to get my vegetable garden going next year (wasn't at all in the cards this summer with all the other projects), and the thought of all that watering gives pause. So a rain barrel is going to be a must.
The barrel is about 20 years old. I got it from the city when they were giving them away free when we first moved here. Now they are about $75 and you have to sign up and wait for the bulk order once a year.

It came with the spigots installed. The top one is only good for overflow. I got the diverter on Amazon and installed it myself. Just had to cut out a 6” section of the downspout 24” above the barrel.

Tending/restoring an old family property whose large scattered beds till recently relied on hellish lengths of hose or too-long schleps with watering cans from the property's single garden spigot. Several barrels cut down the work dramatically and helped bring life back to the old place.

I like the dreamy quality the thin dof gives this one. Just enough focus to keep it from being a miss!
Thanks. Love the inexpensive 40mm G MicroNikkor--60mm-ish in practice and nice bokeh. The G series Nikon primes 35/40/50/85 get dissed for being plasticky but they're huge bargains for the performance delivered.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back