What's new

Gary Fong diffuser anyone? Or other recommendations

I bought a light sphere back when I first got into photography. I've used it at wedding receptions and for family events. In all honesty, I have little use for it. I've gotten as good or better results with a bare flash being bounced or with a STO-FEN attached than I get with the light sphere. It has its uses I suppose but for me they are relatively limited. It does cool things in small rooms as it really combats those nasty shadows, but given its size it's just too big and awkward for me to keep it in my bag for those few situations where I might actually use it.
 
Just as an alternative idea for a flash diffuser (and one which folds down flat), you might want to look at the lumiquest range:
LumiQuest® Photographic Accessories & Flash Diffusers

Myself I used the softbox ( LumiQuest® Photographic Accessories | Softbox ) which gives good light diffusion I find and is not too bulky when your out and about using it. Mine is typically used in the outdoors when hunting bugs, so twigs, sticks and more are often reducing the moment space, but still no problem with the softbox.
(I won't show example shots of people, mostly as I am rubbish at getting people in shots to look right -- I mostly stick to buggy things)

Also the snoot ( LumiQuest® Photographic Accessories | Snoot ) is something that I have heard mention of being used often by photographers as well.
 
I have one. It's amazing! Plus, many high end pros use them for weddings. Watch the "Kendra Show" on E!, because at her wedding like 50 photogs had the GF diffuser on their set ups.
 
I have one. It's amazing! Plus, many high end pros use them for weddings. Watch the "Kendra Show" on E!, because at her wedding like 50 photogs had the GF diffuser on their set ups.

Thanks...Today I have the option to pick up the pro package for 120 new in box? should I do that? or should i just spend 40 on one?
 
Cloud and clear and orange top sphere:

- Cloud is more into big room with less bounce wall or ceiling, so the cloud would diffuse the light for you.

- Clear is more into small room with bouncing wall or ceiling plus alittle of diffusion/reflection from the clear doom.

- Orange top I guess it is similar to the color gel, the cloud doom do the diffusion and the orange top do the WB correction from the ceiling bounce. Which without a ceiling, the orange top would do less of a job.

I do not own one, but I did look into it and trying to get one. Afterward, I know I am going to do off camera with boxes or umbrella, so I just forget about the doom. But I do have the on camera Gary Fong diffuser, it does work great before I got my SB-900.

Edit:

I think they have 2 more opional gears that's (#1) shiny silver and it covers half of the doom (where the LCD position from the camera), it works like the bounce card but with diffusion from the doom. (#2) Shiny Silver "top" with a egg sized hole in the middle of the top, it do abit of ceiling bounce and the silver top stop some of the light going up and bounce back to the front. In the other word, less ceiling bounce and more light in the front of the camera.

2nd Edit:

As you said you will do club photog with the doom, without knowing how big the club will be I suggest you use the cloud sphere. You don't have to take care of too much bounces stuff, plus, if light isn't enough from your flash using the doom with the flash head facing ceiling, you can turn the flash head to the people with the doom on. That way you get more light, but alittle less diffusion, at least you will have enough juice if you need them.

Hope it helps.

Kcc
 
Last edited:
For club photography, I've had perfectly fine results just using the built on flash on my D50, you just need to use a good shutter speed. 1/8th worked fine for me. Obviously it depends on how the photos are going to be shown. If they're just going to be low res images on the 'net, you don't need to worry too much about quality, especially if, like a lot of people, myself included, you're not getting paid for the photos.
 
For club photography, I've had perfectly fine results just using the built on flash on my D50, you just need to use a good shutter speed. 1/8th worked fine for me. Obviously it depends on how the photos are going to be shown. If they're just going to be low res images on the 'net, you don't need to worry too much about quality, especially if, like a lot of people, myself included, you're not getting paid for the photos.

Are you serious?? Don't mean to be mean but the onboard flash looks like sh*t... It is VERY obvious when you are using the built in flash. It even sometimes looks bad with a good external pointed directly at the subject...
 
Anyhow. I got the diffuser today. I will be taking pics at my house tonight because we are having a party. I know they will not be "artistic" photos but I will show you guys how they turned out without doing much photoshop.
 
shortpballer: thanks for the info. im keeping my eye out for a 480 too. i just felt by getting a 580 now it'll save me in the future in the event i wanted to upgrade. im looking at several lighting kits though at the moment.

AlienBees: Illuminating the Galaxy with Professional Photographic Lighting Equipment

...is one that caught my eye.

Amazon.com: Westcott Photo Basics 502 Two-Light Kit: Camera & Photo


...was another.

just cant decide if i need a flash now, or would get more use out of lighting for the home to shoot stuff around the house.
 
Chammer: what you need to decide is where you want to do everything. This is why I took the strobist route and got some Cactus triggers and some cheap, but powerful manual flashes and some umbrellas and lightstands. Because I can take these anywhere. They come in a bag and everything. And I have my 430 ex for when I need to do some on camera shooting like at a club or something like that.
 
what im looking for is something that is easy to setup and take apart; that i can use in the house and "on location" if i go somewhere. its why i was mainly looking at the 580 (or two of them) as something that i could use on battery power if i dont happen to have plugs near by and then using one of these diffuser type products on it.
 
If you aren't going to use the ttl function of the 580's there are better things you can get like the vivitar 285hv's they are just as or maybe more powerful? (someone correct me if I'm wrong) But either way they are Damn powerful and can be bought or 90 shipped on amazon. The only difference is that they have to be put on manual mode. Which makes it more fun in my opinion. And then you can spend the rest of your money on some unbrellas and an ezybox softbox and some cactus v4's ;)

ezybox is my next purchase ;)
 
580 ex II has a guide number of 190, the vivitar is 140. The 430's GN is 141.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom