Gear Insurance

Netskimmer

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have asked about insurance before but it was in someone else's thread and I so I thought I'd start a new one. I called my auto insurer about getting a policy but they kept trying to get me into a home owner's policy. So I thought I'd ask for a little more detail on what catagory this falls under and ask for recommendations for an insurer, preferably in the state of West Virginia.

I neither rent or own, but Farm Bureau (in NC) has a policy that will cover my dwelling ("inland marine" sounds familiar, I forget). The policy will cover my contents and I have additional riders for most of my gear (the expensive, PITA to replace stuff). It covers fire and theft from my dwelling as well as the camera gear in my car and while traveling.

This is what I have at the present time. About $10k covered for about $60 A year. This is only for the major gear, but I have added to my gear and need to update. I am looking into another carrier that a local pro has that I side shoot for. He thinks I could get it cheaper there but we will see.

$60 a year seems cheap to insure 10K worth of anything, you mind if i ask what exactly it covers and with how much deductible? I may ask my state farm rep for a 5k insurance policy on my stuff. Thanks

I have Statefarm and it costs like $180 a year with a discount for having their car insurance already. $60 sounds pretty low. I have about 12K covered. It also covers pro usage. They will charge you more if using for professional work because its assumed that you will use it more and possibly have more risk. Deduuctable is $100. Often times your homeowners policy will cover personal items up to a certain amount but I don't think it covers all events.

I use USAA and it costs about 1% and covers loss and damage.
I know that's cheap but USAA is a limited membership company.

+1 there. I never even thought about calling for my gear through USAA. FacePalm! My auto is so much cheaper through them! Gotta love military affiliations.

+1 there. I never even thought about calling for my gear through USAA. FacePalm! My auto is so much cheaper through them! Gotta love military affiliations.

Valuable Personal Property insurance

I've even gotten travel insurance from their affiliates.
I've been a member for a very long time and have some sort of equity; every June I get a check for a few hundred dollars based on earnings.
I love them as a company.

$60 a year seems cheap to insure 10K worth of anything, you mind if i ask what exactly it covers and with how much deductible? I may ask my state farm rep for a 5k insurance policy on my stuff. Thanks
I will find my policy and let you know.

I have Statefarm and it costs like $180 a year with a discount for having their car insurance already. $60 sounds pretty low. I have about 12K covered. It also covers pro usage. They will charge you more if using for professional work because its assumed that you will use it more and possibly have more risk. Deduuctable is $100. Often times your homeowners policy will cover personal items up to a certain amount but I don't think it covers all events.
I do not have pro usage and my deductable is probably about $500 to $1000. I will have to look.

Thanks for all the responses. So it's a personal articles policy. I'll call State Farm (and probably several others) on Monday and see what they have to offer.

This is what I have at the present time. About $10k covered for about $60 A year. This is only for the major gear, but I have added to my gear and need to update. I am looking into another carrier that a local pro has that I side shoot for. He thinks I could get it cheaper there but we will see.

If it turns out well lets us know. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be interested.

Cheaper than 60/yr?? Thats really good, I would just be more worried about the deductible than anything.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back