Gear upgrade for my D90

rgribbons

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am an enthusiastic amateur shooting with a D90.

I love shooting street and macro pictures along with family portraits.

My current lens line up is ;
Tamron 17-50 f2.8 XR DI II SP (it's hardly off my camera)
Nikor 70-300 f4.5-5.6
Tamron 90 mm f2.8 macro
Nikor 50mm f1.8

I do a little landscape and low light/ night shooting and would like to develop this more along with the above. Am I missing something or should I consider upgrading anything to bring things on a bit more?

Last edited:
Noitlookslike youhaveeverything wellinhandexcept formaybeorusing punctuationandspacesproperly whenyoutype.

One item I added to my D90 long ago that I appreciate each time I use it is the MB-D80 grip. It holds two EN-EL3e batteries so no real worries about running out of power. If I do it also comes with a tray that will hold standard AA batteries. It also duplicates the command dials and shutter release rotated 90 degrees so no twisting the hand to shoot portrait mode. Finally I feel like it balances the camera better when shooting with a long lens. I wasn't sure I'd like it until I got it and now I've never taken it off my camera.

Noitlookslike youhaveeverything wellinhandexcept formaybeorusing punctuationandspacesproperly whenyoutype.
Yea thanks for the helpful comment!This is not how I wrote it. I had it all on different lines but it didn't come out that way.

One item I added to my D90 long ago that I appreciate each time I use it is the MB-D80 grip. It holds two EN-EL3e batteries so no real worries about running out of power. If I do it also comes with a tray that will hold standard AA batteries. It also duplicates the command dials and shutter release rotated 90 degrees so no twisting the hand to shoot portrait mode. Finally I feel like it balances the camera better when shooting with a long lens. I wasn't sure I'd like it until I got it and now I've never taken it off my camera.
I have a third party version that is identical and I agree the camera is much better balanced with the grip. I will probably pick up a new speedlight as I currently have a crappy jessops version.

Don't worry about KMH, he's a highly knowledgeable guy but he's grumpy sometimes! You will get used to him if you hang around these parts long enough.. :lol:

You thought about a Flashgun?? Thats the next thing on my list!

I wish this forum gave us the option to give people negative karma/likes. You certainly deserve it in most of your posts.

To the OP, what you are missing is a flash. An SB600 or SB800 would provide a world of difference.

I am debating between an sb600 and sb700 but the annoying thing is I don't use my current one that often preferring natural light. I suppose my main thoughts were what are people's thoughts on the lenses I have and are there better ones I should be using?

I am debating between an sb600 and sb700 but the annoying thing is I don't use my current one that often preferring natural light. I suppose my main thoughts were what are people's thoughts on the lenses I have and are there better ones I should be using?
I have both an SB600 and an SB700. If I were to pick one today it would be the SB700 hands down. It has a better guide number, the controls and menus are much easier to use, and it has center-weighted, normal and wide settings.

By current one, do you mean your built in flash? If so, we aren't talking apples to apples. More like kiwis to potatoes. There is a huge difference between an external speedlight and your built in flash.

The only thing the built in flash is good for is triggering an off camera flash.

I have a cheap flashgun that the title only works when it is facing fully forward. I don't use it too often though.

How about a 70-200mm 2.8? That would round out your lenses nicely for low light. both the Sigma and Tamron are very good.

If I were to change out my 17-50 for something like a 24-70 sigma or Nikon or tamron 28-75 should I expect to see improved image quality as these are "pro" lenses compared to consumer?

I know I would be giving up on the wide end and would need to consider a wide angle lens to compensate but I am thinking about anyways.

Which of the above would you recommend considering the extra cost of the Nikon lens

Last edited:
If I were to change out my 17-50 for something like a 25-70 sigma or Nikon or tamron 28-75 should I expect to see improved image quality as these are "pro" lenses compared to consumer?I know I would be giving up on the wide end and would need to consider a wide angle lens to compensate but I am thinking about anyways. Which of the above would you recommend considering the extra cost of the Nikon lens

It is better to get the 70-200mm first if you can afford it.

Which of the lenses above work well with FF such as D700. I am now thinking about going this way and using FF glass?

Which would you change out and for what?

Most reactions

Back