What's new

Gemsbok in the Namib.

Granddad

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jun 22, 2011
Messages
2,269
Reaction score
1,338
Location
Lincoln, England
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We visited my brother in Namibia back in 2017 and I caught this shot as we were diving through the Namib desert. Last week I got around to processing it but I wasn't thrilled as the gemsbok is too far to the right of the image in my view. Nevertheless I posted a group of photos on a Facebook photographers' group for that country this morning and to my surprise this shot has so far received more likes from photographers than other shots that I think are better; 53 likes (and rising) compared to its nearest rival at 25. Is that just the vagaries of Facebook or am I missing something?

Croc-5407.webp
 
I'd normally agree with you on the composition (the consideration of which seems to have fallen by the wayside with most photographers on Forums these days so it's refreshing to see someone contemplating this aspect) in as much that the beast should be more central or left of frame. However, on this occasion I think it works due to the bushes on the left, giving the shot a good deal of balance imo, which it would indeed lack in their absence. So yeah, a very pleasing shot for me.
 
Nice shot of this hostile looking place........

If you want hostile looking places in the desert I've got some that make this place look like a "green and pleasant land". LOL!!
 
I think its a wonderful image. great exposure and colors. I think it is very well balanced with the animal under the large mountain and the trees to lead the eye.
Excellent shot!
 
I'd normally agree with you on the composition (the consideration of which seems to have fallen by the wayside with most photographers on Forums these days so it's refreshing to see someone contemplating this aspect) in as much that the beast should be more central or left of frame. However, on this occasion I think it works due to the bushes on the left, which imo gives the shot a good deal of balance, which it would indeed lack in their absence. So yeah, a very pleasing shot for me.

Thanks for your input :D . I did wonder if maybe the trees/bushes made the difference.
 
Both are nice shots. The 2nd shot does look more harsh ... a place where only small rocks could thrive in the shadows of bigger ones. :cool-48:
 
Regarding the original image, SpaceFace has it spot on, the bushes balance the image out especially with the light sand leading the eye and emphasising the bushes. What you've got here is a nice triangle to keep the eye moving between the antelope, the mountain and the bushes and that means the image is pretty well balanced. It helps that the animal is fairly static and looking in your direction too.
 
I think the bushes balance the gemsbok.
 
Both shots were taken in 2017, after 5 years of severe drought.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom