General feedback for a noob who knows the basics.

I think in my case I 'don't know what I don't know'

The first thing one has to do, I think, is to be very, very clear on what exactly is interesting about the planned shot. Then, after that every step - choice of f stop to manage depth of field, choice of shutter speed, placement of the center of interest in the frame, editing - proceeds from that.
Any editing should support the center of interest and should make some sort of sense.

For example, your first shot:

It is converted to BW and the histogram shows lots of lower tones and blacks but not so much in middle or bright. This impact and the murkiness doesn't seem coherent with the subject.

Things, like trees and edges of buildings should be vertical unless there is an artistic reason not to be. That way, the viewers' eyes are not distracted by unnatural things that aren't important.

You've chopped off the bottom of the spring ride and the top of the building. I can understand the building being clipped, that's not too important but just disconnecting the ride from the ground? It looks like a mistake in framing.

The image is cropped to an arbitrary aspect, not 4 x 5 or 2 x 3, nothing that is familiar. I try to crop to standard formats for two reasons; first, it is cheaper to matt and frame and second, I want viewers to be unaware of the frame, to look through the frame into a different world

And your logo is brighter than anything else and thus attracts attention for no reason.

upload_2016-10-31_11-16-9.png

Photography isn't easy, but it is fun.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back