General rules for glamor shots

4thirds_dude

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
pschwefel.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've recently started doing some portraiture and am now planning to try my hand at some basic glamor/beauty-type shots. As of right now, I'm running a two-strobe setup -- 2 x 150w/s with either softboxes or shoot-through umb as the case dictates.

For those of you who have done more of this type photography...are there any "absolute musts" or "must nots"? Are there any photographers you know of, or yourselves even, whose work would be a good example for me to learn from?

Any help would be appreciated...I have several models who have asked me to do some shots for them and I would really like to do the best quality work that I can, even if they are TFCD shoots. Thanks! :)

www.lighting-essentials.com

Play. Do what feels right. Tell your model two things. Not to expect award winning images just yet and that if she's not a good model, she's definitely not getting good images.

You can shoot with one or two lights. You can shoot with soft or hard lights. Imagine what you want from a photo and try to recreate what's in your head with the photo.

At the same time, read about lighting setups-- some are very obvious and intuitive, some are not. Play, read, play, etc, so that you are putting things into practice as you learn them.

Samanax, do you have any type of messenger service? I have a few questions for you.

Samanax, do you have any type of messenger service? I have a few questions for you.
I don't use any type of IM service. You can use the forum's Private Message system.

Oddly enough; I can't find the PM button/option here...:(
Try left clicking on my user name...will bring up a box with something that says "Send a private message to..." and click on it. If that doesn't work, click on User CP up near the top. Private Message is located on the left side.

Oddly enough, when I left click on your user name there is no option for private messaging.

Weird. Anyways...my question was (Sorry for Hijacking thread)

I need to do some headshots and bodyshots for a friend later tonight, but all I have to work with is a industrial 250W light. I was thinking of taking a white sheet and bouncing it for no shadows. I just dont know first time using this light, and its all I got for now. Any ideas?

I'm actually a beginner at all this lighting stuff and I have no experience with shooting models at all.

If bouncing doesn't work out you could try shining the light through the sheet.

Weird. Anyways...my question was (Sorry for Hijacking thread)
You have to have a certain number of posts (I can't remember how many, 50 or something) before you can PM.

I need to do some headshots and bodyshots for a friend later tonight, but all I have to work with is a industrial 250W light. I was thinking of taking a white sheet and bouncing it for no shadows. I just dont know first time using this light, and its all I got for now. Any ideas?

I assume you're talking about something like a work light that you would use in the garage? Light is light, and it will work - but with only 250W you're going to have pretty long exposure times. I have a 1000W work light that I use sometimes - even with 1000 watts exposure times are usually to long to shoot people (unless they can be very still). I mostly use it for still life shots.

Make sure you shoot a grey card or do a custom white balance, because it (WB) will be way off using these lights.

EDIT

You could probably get more light by just turning all of the lights in the room on (which will still not be very much light, but it'll probably be more).
Can it wait till morning? You will have much more options with the sun up.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back