Generosity

shmne

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Now I must start out apologizing because this is technically off topic, however I feel this is something that applies to professionals and I consider it to be a technique in a way.

For those that don't know Zach Arias he is a pretty well known photographer that has many great ideals, he struggled to make it where he is and he gives back in simple ways. A while back he posted a video about how as artists we sometimes look at our work with disgust, and how we go through phases where we just feel horrible about ourselves no matter what we try to do we just can't produce the quality work we know we can.

Long story short, someone sent him a very moving email about "Jumping off the cliff head first" so to say, and how this man could not get into photography because he just could not gather up his nerve to just jump into things and risk it all. The man felt as if everything was holding him back in life, and that even though he had no true excuses besides motivation he was still lacking even that. He felt lost, and unsure about what to do with his life as a photographer.

This email hit a strong cord with me, because financially speaking I am in a horrible position right now. I will be finishing school up in November, and I fear constantly that I won't be able to make enough money to continue upgrading even the small things with my gear.

I left a comment on the blog explaining how I am a new photographer that doesn't even have the money for a flash, and that no matter what I don't let that stop me. I still go out and look for work, and that even when things look horrible it is the kindness of other professionals and the photography community that has helped me get where I am now (realizing this only a few months into truly following this passion, I am not very far but already I see how important it is that we stick together as a community and help each other)

So here is what I am getting to, apparently my post touched someone and they want to send me 2 flashes for free and a coord so I can use one off camera. They are 2 vivitar 285s (he did state that one of them never worked, but that I may be able to find a way to fix it), when I read this email I almost cried. This is a complete stranger helping out someone that he has never met, yet he has no problem spending the money to mail them to me (let alone the fact that at one time he paid for the units).

As photographers we aren't alone, and I believe it is important to realize that. This is something that many of you might know already, but I think many more might not realize this. It is not about how good you are alone, but how much better you are working with others.

The technique I am referring to here is kindness, and how important it is to remember that even when you are a professional to never forget where you came from. Now when I feel more confident in my position I hope to one day pay forward what this man did for me 10 fold. If it were not for him I would have to wait probably until next February or March before I could have gotten a flash! That is months of experience I would have just simply lost out on.

So sorry if this was a bit preachy and off topic but I truly feel that it is something we all need to be reminded of here and there. You don't have to help others by giving them equipment, even the simple things like posting on this forum and offering sound advice is helping out the community.

This is also a thank you to everyone on this forum, we may have our bad moments but this is a great place. This is our photography community (just one of many for some of us) and maybe next time you see a post you can help, instead of just skimming by because it is something you could care less about, maybe this time you will just post =]

One man's garbage is another's treasure. Or sometimes you just gotta do your best with what you already have, like me.. I need a hug.

One man's garbage is another's treasure. Or sometimes you just gotta do your best with what you already have, like me.. I need a hug.

*hug*

I have to say with just a reflector the quality of work you can put out is pretty crazy. I don't even have a nice reflector, just 4 different foam core boards lol one gold, silver, white, and black. Don't ask what the black is for, I've found interesting uses here and there

The black is for subtracting light, rather than adding it.

Passion counts for a lot. Not just to drive our artistic side but to help keep us in the game.

For most young people money is always tight. It stays that way through the middle part of life too if we have a family to support. Once the kids become self sufficient, many suddenly find they have much more disposable income.

It's quite possible your flash benefactor is in the last group.

There are Vivitar 285's and there are 285HV's. Make sure the speedlights won't damage your camera (voltage) if you mount them on the hot shoe of your camera.

Thanks for the posting of the story, I am kind of in the same area of life... Like it is hard to find people to work for me at a cost that I can justify. Or a group that does nudes and other cool modeling kind of thinks, but in the last week or so I did do a search on a site that is called meetup.com and I did find a group that is not too far from me that does that kind of shoots.

So I am looking forward to working with the group and taking great pictures, Now all I have to do is get in and see how I can help out. Because I agree with giving back.

One more time thanks for the story!
Justin

KMH which is known to damage your camera? I plan on using it off camera but I may want to use it on camera at times. he said only 285, not the HV

I once moved 1500 miles with no job and nowhere to live. I am doing fine now.

Just do it. Make it happen.

You only get to live once, make it worthwhile...

KMH which is known to damage your camera? I plan on using it off camera but I may want to use it on camera at times. he said only 285, not the HV
The 285 is an older flash and has the higher potential to cause damage. They make a little gizmo you can put between the flash and your camera for protection. It's made by Wein.

Outstanding thread! I often speak about photography as a community. Seemingly it falls on deaf ears here at TPF.

You will never forget the act of kindness you received. I bet you a dollar further down the road you will reciprocate. Personally I feel that it has made me a better artist and human.

Thanks for recognizing this and spread love.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

New Topics

Back