Geotagging

Augphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am learning of GPS devices used specifically for geotagging photographs. This seems quite interesting to me. Does anyone have any experience in using a GPS in this way?

I'm using a Holux M-241 GPS logger to geotag my photos. The logger is really small and runs about 10 hours on a good battery. It involves an automatic timestamp matching process between the GPS data and the photos.

There are several versions of hardware/software that insert your current GPS position into the metadata of a picture, and it is interesting, however the only way you will be able to take advantage and see this info in any meaningful way is over the web.

There are 3 main distinct characteristics of these units.

Where they draw power from:
- your camera
- their own battery

How they tag each picture:
- on the fly as each picture is taken
- at the end of the day while matching timestamps of the pictures with those in the GPS

Tracking ability:
- Does a unit easily and often lose satellite tracking if in a city?
- How does a unit deal with a lost signal (Are pictures still tagged if the signal is lost)?

This is the part I am not too keen on... the costs of these units goes from $100 to $500 or more. I am not sure I want to pay a couple hundred dollars just to get this info, since I always know where I was when I take a picture. Knowing exact latitude and longitude to within 25 feet is not really necessary for me. That is me, of course and just my opinion. :)

Most reactions

Back