Getting a new camera, advice please...

allison_dcp said:
UGh! now I have to choose b/w canon and nikon........
Looks like nikon lens' are more expensive.....
arguments?

Can of worms...

At the price point you're looking at, there's very little difference in image quality. I played around with both systems before I went with Nikon in 2008 when I started accumulating gear.

It's a long-term decision. You're buying into a system, so you need to think 5-10 years out, as you say you have professional aspirations.

The high end consumer cameras for Nikon don't have the megapixels of their Canon competition, but their autofocus, low light performance and the feel of the camera itself are noticeably better. On everything but the newest generation of Canons, the AF is pretty bad.

There are trade-offs either way. IMO, Nikon is the obvious choice. Depending on what you plan to be shooting, you could go either way.

Can of worms...

At the price point you're looking at, there's very little difference in image quality. I played around with both systems before I went with Nikon in 2008 when I started accumulating gear.

It's a long-term decision. You're buying into a system, so you need to think 5-10 years out, as you say you have professional aspirations.

The high end consumer cameras for Nikon don't have the megapixels of their Canon competition, but their autofocus, low light performance and the feel of the camera itself are noticeably better. On everything but the newest generation of Canons, the AF is pretty bad.

There are trade-offs either way. IMO, Nikon is the obvious choice. Depending on what you plan to be shooting, you could go either way.

^^^ This is true. Instead of rushing out and buying something quickly and then having buyer's remorse, take your time and make an informed decision. Go down to a "big box" store like Best Buy (blah!), and hold the cameras in your own hands. Get a feel for the Canon and the Nikon and see what you think. I shoot Nikon and prefer it over Canon, but like James said, you can't really go wrong either way. I prefer the feel of Nikon because it feels more "solid" to me and the controls better fit my hand. YMMV.

EDIT: I would NOT suggest buying at the Big Box Store. Just hold the cameras there and see what you like. THEN, go buy from a reputable camera store like B&H, Adorama, KEH, etc.

If I get the Nikon D3000 with this fit it?
Nikon Nikkor AF 50mm f1.8 D Lens
I'm also considering the D5000 for a little more $

Last edited:
allison_dcp said:

It will fit it, but it won't autofocus.

Get over the MP thing, it's not a big deal. Billboards were printed with 3mp cameras.

I am a canon girl. That's what I learned on in film and that's what I have stuck to. HOWEVER... if you are going with an entry level camera Pentax and Sony are actually probably better decisions. Why? Because their entry level cameras aren't crippled as much as Canon and Nikon's are.

What it really boils down to is what you are comfortable with. I am most comfortable with Canon's interface. I CAN shoot with a Nikon, but I stumble with things a bit on it. It's just different in my hands.

If I had to choose entry level I'd go Sony or Pentax. If I had to choose in the mid range I'd go Nikon. Yep, I really did just say that. And at the professional level I'd go Canon because it's my comfort zone. However the nikon EQ's are as good or better on some tests, so it's only a comfort zone choice.

Allison, you are really pressing HARD to get a new DSLR for $300. The body alone on a DSLR will run you that much if you buy new, and it you get a "kit" that includes the body + 1 lens, you'll need to bump up your price point a bit.

Here is 1 option from Nikon: (D3100 + 18-55mm kit lens) for $496.

Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm NIKKOR VR Lens 25472

Here is a similar level Canon for $475.

Canon EOS Rebel T3 Digital Camera and 18-55mm IS II Lens

If you could afford to go to $650, the Nikon D5100 is a much better camera and it's $200 OFF at the moment at B&H with the same 18-55mm kit lens as the D3100:

Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Camera With 18-55mm VR Lens 25478 B&H

Here are a few Canon kits to consider with a similar price point:

canon dslr | B&H Photo Video

There is a lot to consider. Cameras are not going anywhere. Take your time and see what you really want to get. I'd avoid Pentax and Sony, but that's just personal preference.

I started with a 10MP Nikon D40x and loved it as a starter camera. I buy a lot of used stuff from a pro camera supply store locally. They check the stuff out and have a return policy even on used. Never regretted buying used and now have a D700 and D300, both bought used.

For used lenses I like Nikon because there are more of them locally so that forces the price down for many of them. There are about 2x the number of used lenses at the store I use often. Of course that may not be the case everywhere.

I still have my D40 for hiking excursions when I don't want to carry something bigger/heavier. Great camera. I use my D90 the rest of the time.

jwbryson1 said:
I still have my D40 for hiking excursions when I don't want to carry something bigger/heavier. Great camera. I use my D90 the rest of the time.

Me too lol!

I'm also considering the D5000 for a little more $
You have to remember also that these are all crop sensors, if you want a 50mm equivalent you could get a 35mm 1.8 for just a little more and it will also autofocus. I think a d3000 with a 35mm would be a great kit for a little over 400$
Refurbished Nikon D3000 10.2 MP Digital SLR Camera, Refurbished by Nikon U.S.A. #25460 25460 B
Refurbished Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Nikkor Lens f/DSLR Cameras - Refurbished by Nikon USA 2183B

Most reactions

Back