Getting a new lens for vacation

rwalsh81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey so my wife and I are going to Niagara Falls next month and I'm looking at a new lens for the trip. Would a fish eye or the canon 10-18 be best?

Canon t6, but I'm looking upgrading to the t7i before I leave

WHY would you want a "fish eye?"
Do you know what the image looks like?

Get the T7i + 18-135 kit.
Then add the 10-18.

Yes, I agree with the above. Can't imagine wanting to take waterfall pictures with a fisheye.... I love my 18-135 nano usm.

Knowing what lenses you have now would help us help you...

As you are going to the falls I would look at the 17 40 f2 l glass
The weather sealing my help get the water mist from the falls out of lens

Current lenses 18-55mm, 75-250mm are my main shooting for this. I've got a 24mm prime and Macro 35mm. I am looking at the 18-135mm as well. But thought the fish eye or 10-18mm would be good for perspective. I can see how the fish eye might not give the best but wanted to throw it out there for advice.

I do not think either the T7i nor the 18-135 is weather sealed, so bring a separate waterproof P&S camera if you want to shoot from the boat, at the bottom of the falls.

IMHO, a fisheye is for effect, not perspective.
Look at a native shot from a fisheye and study it, to determine if it is really what you want, before you drop $$$ on one.
A series of shots stitched together would give you a better (undistorted) panorama image.

Bear in mind that ultrawides squish verticals, so that massive impressive waterfall in front of you is going to look smaller and have less impact at 10mm than it would at longer focal lengths.

Most reactions

Back