Getting any better?; C&C please

maulrat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, I finally had a chance to take some pics out of my apartment. I've had my first DSLR now for about 1 week but haven't had much time to play with my new toy. I'm starting out straight in manual mode. Although I am making a lot of mistakes, I am getting a better feel for manipulating exposure. I tend to take my photos metered a little on the dark side so that I do blow them out when I post process.

I didn't have much time but out of about 10 shots of my model, these are the 4 that came out alright. Like I said, I didn't have much time behind the glass or else I would have taken more. Before I give them to her, can you please let me know what I could do to post process them better? If you have any ideas how I could have taken better shots, I would greatly appreciate that too.

Isa
2730178175_ced5f3b642_o.jpg

Dalawa
2730492383_530b2c6198_o.jpg

Tatlo
2730492117_fabc90bddb_o.jpg

Apat
2730491847_84818799b6_o.jpg

Thank you,

-maulrat

I like "Tatlo" the best, but they are all pretty good. Nice toning and sharpness. In "Isa" if you had some supplemental soft lighting to the models front left (camera right) I think it would have made the photo. IMO the slight shadowing on the face takes away from the shot a bit, but I like the composition.

In "Isa" if you had some supplemental soft lighting to the models front left (camera right) I think it would have made the photo. IMO the slight shadowing on the face takes away from the shot a bit, but I like the composition.

Thanks for your advice Son Dean. Shadows never lie do they? In Isa, you can see the hair shadow casted upon the models right cheek. Althought not noticable to many, it sticks out like a soar thumb to us. Maybe I can build some type of stand with a reflector.
-maulrat

I like Talto and Apat the best. The lighting is good on both of them.
Isa:
The first one is okay but it just looks like lighting you would see in a Wal-Mart. Maybe if you went with more of a Sepia tone or gone with a Retro tone (If you use Photoshop). And I also agree with Son Dean on the lighting to the left. That would've helped as well. The pose and background is great honestly! I love that part. It's just the lighting.

Dalawa:
The background is nice on this one but just a tiiiiny bit too dark it seems like. Also she seems.. kinda awkward. :lol: She should relax her arms some and look more toward the camera or completely away (profile, back/profile, etc.). Other than that it's a good pic.

Overall your photos are great! Keep up the great work. :hug::

Dalawa:
The background is nice on this one but just a tiiiiny bit too dark it seems like. Also she seems.. kinda awkward. :lol: She should relax her arms some and look more toward the camera or completely away...

Thanks Brandi. Yet another mistake of mine that I noticed after processing. I think I vignetted the picture a little too much; especially toward the top of the picture (Dalawa). You can clearly see how it darkened her face.

As for her arms... She was actually holding her purse while I took that shot. She was also looking away at some taxi cab and I took it when she wasn't expecting a shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back