Getting back in - Help needed!

FuzzyBadger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all
Just joined the forum. I'm from upstate NY and looking to get back into photography in retirement.
Back in the day, I bought a used Nikon/Kodak DCS 460 (6 megabyte unaquired) for tethered studio work. The cost was $14,000. After a while, I also bought a new Nikon DCS 620x (2 megapixel) for shooting kids playing sports. If I remember correctly it cost $6,000. Yikes!
Long story short, I have been out of the loop for about 14 years. Of course, today, those cameras are worthless pieces of junk. I still have some decent Nikon glass from back then and would like to buy another camera for landscape, nature and portraits. Initial, I considered the D7100. I found one for $400 with 9,000 clicks on it. But the more I thought about it, the more a D800e or the D810 seemed to fit my desire for image quality. That is, I'd like my image quality to be closer to that of a medium format than 35mm.
Used, the D800e and the D810 seem to be about the same price.
I know that the D7100 would be better for birds and wildlife, but I don't plan to shoot them as much as landscape, nature and portraits.
My shooting style is slow and methodical and I think either of the D800's would suite me nicely.
Computer upgrade will be a must, I know.
What say you guys? All comments will be appreciated.
Thanks!
Fuzz

I would go for the D810 over the older D800.
Used D810s can be found around $1,700. Which makes it more attractive than a new D750.
But the D810 is significantly heavier than the D750, if weight is a factor.

Lenses have improved significantly over the past years, so your older lenses may not do so well on the new high MP cameras.

I'm a longtime film photographer, I have a digital camera that uses the same lenses as my film rangefinders. If lenses are nice and sharp, they still are. If you have some nice Nikon lenses then that might be the way to go. (I know someone who uses his vintage Nikon lenses on whatever digital camera he has.) But I suppose it depends on what you use and what you want; I use mechanical film cameras and shoot manually with my digital so for me it works fine to use a newer lens or some vintage ones. On either cameras, digital or film.

Just get something more than 2 mp and you should be good! lol

And welcome Fuzz.

Sharon,
Just got to watch out for the compatibility of lens to body. The Nikon F mount is the same from the 1950s, but it is the rest of the connections between the camera and lens that changed over time.
  • Example1, I cannot use my pre-AI lenses on my D7200.
  • Example2, I could not use my screwdriver AF lens on a D3xxx or D5xxx, because they do not have the in-body AF motor for that type of lens.
  • Example3. The new AF-P lenses won't work with the older dslrs.
Unlike Canon, we Nikon guys need to look at that compatibility chart to figure out what lens will work with what body. :confused:

Compatibility needs to be considered of course, but her point remains: good glass is good glass regardless of age.

Can't beat the value right now for a used D800 or 800e. Fantastic choice in my opinion. I would look at Roberts Camera on eBay, they have several in various states of condition. They have a great return policy, theie audit of gear condition is excellent. You can make offers as well. I have bought a few things from them, always made offers they accepted (reasonable offers), fast shipping, and condition was better than I thought in their description. With all the scum of eBay these days, these guys are a worthy look.
seller:robertscamera d800

Thank you all.
I am aware of the compatibility issue of older lenses. But as I said, my methods are slow and methodical, mostly using a tripod, monopod, or studio stand. For hand held, I will probably need a couple newer lenses. What would you recommend?

My current AF lenses:
Nikkor 24mm f2.8
AF nikkor 80-200mm f2.8 D
AF Micro Nikkor 200mm f4 D
Nikkor ED AF-I 300mm f2.8 D

My current manual lenses: (Require Conversion)
Nikkor-S Auto 50mm f1.4
Nikkor-H Auto 300 f4.5

I would just use what you have, until you identify a gap in focal length or quality.
That is what I did.

I shoot with a D810 and absolutely love it. It will work extremely well for a slow, methodical approach. I think that the D810 is a worthwhile upgrade from the 800(e) bodies as long as it isn’t much more money.

What part of NY are you from? I’m from Batavia, NY.

Most reactions

Back