What's new

Getting Better with a P&S

percent20

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 20, 2008
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
Location
Prague, OK
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all. I have been getting into and out of photography in spurts for a while now. About a year ago i got the itch again and did a lot of research on a P&S camera something relatively cheap, long battery life, and a decent picture quality. I finally decided on Canon SD1100 IS (IXUS 80 IS). Its been a good camera and have been working on getting better at photography. At the time I used limited information I knew about photography to buy it. However, probably could have made a better choice. Anyway enough about that.

My question is how can i get better. What are some things I can do/learn to get the most out of my P&S camera? I am looking at getting a dslr sometime in the next few months, probably christmas or later, will ask more questions on that in a couple of days as I do more research. Basically with moving to a dSLR what can I do/learn on my current camera to help me get better, get the most out of it, and move onto dSLR later.

Any advice for this newb is welcome and appreciated.
 
Last edited:
I finally decided onCanon SD1100 IS (IXUS 80 IS)Canon SD1100 IS (IXUS 80 IS)Canon SD1100 IS (IXUS 80 IS) a Canon SD1100 IS (IXUS 80 IS).

That sounds like one hell of a camera:lmao:
 
I finally decided onCanon SD1100 IS (IXUS 80 IS)Canon SD1100 IS (IXUS 80 IS)Canon SD1100 IS (IXUS 80 IS) a Canon SD1100 IS (IXUS 80 IS).
That sounds like one hell of a camera:lmao:
lol guess i when i hit ctrl v something went a bit wrong. Still getting used to this netbook.
 
To answer your question, the best thing you can do is to take a ton of pictures. Decide for yourself what you like and don't like, then get feedback here.

I would also suggest going to your bookstore and start reading. Learn the vocab first, then learn how Shutter Speed and Aperture and ISO work for (and against) each other. Here is a great site I found (www.dslrtips.com) Watch some of his videos. They helped me alot. Plus they also feed the bug.

When you go to shop for a dSLR, make sure you put your $$$ in the lenses more then the body. I purchesed a Rebel XS with the 18-55mm IS kit lens from Dell for under $500 with free next day shipping. Then I bought a telephoto lens and external flash and filter. Total less then $1,000.

Just food for thought.

Here is another great website. A Tedious Explanation of the f/stop
 
The one thing that you can learn from any camera you can get your hands on is composition. Read up on composition while still reading up on all the aperture, shutter, and ISO stuff. Blurring the background and freezing movement is stuff you need to understand the aperture and shutter stuff about, but composition, in which how you frame your photographs and position your subject with camera angles and such, can be done with any camera no matter how much or little control you have over settings.
 
So basically just keep snapping pictures and work on composition for the most part.

Then work on learning all the particulars of iso, fstop, aperature, etc...

So the question is will learning iso, fstop, aperature stuff help me with my P&S, not saying i won't learn it, since I can't change those settings?

Thanks.
 
Besides taking a lot of pictures, take a lot of different pictures of the same thing. Experiment with angles, the way the sun hits the subject, distance, etc. Only through repetition will anyone naturally look at something and have a good feel of how to take the shot. And even then... you take a lot of pictures.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom