Getting frustrated with Nikon ... so, what about Canon, then?

epp_b

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.eppbphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm starting to get frustrated with Nikon, for a few reasons...

1. Slower autofocus

I've missed many shots because of it. No matter how many times I try to keep myself away from Canons, I'm always drawn towards their incredible autofocus speed. It's not just that the lenses have faster AF overall (even non-USM lenses are faster than Nikon's "fake" AF-S lenses), but the Canon bodies seem to initiate AF with zero lag, where Nikons have a very slight lag that makes a very big difference for shooting anything that movies.

2. Crappy warranty service

Sure, the warranties are two years on bodies and five on lenses. But, what good is that if you have to be without your gear for three weeks or more (two, if you're lucky) at a time? I need a particular lens in two weeks, which is broken at the moment. Will I have it back in time from Nikon? Who knows!? From what I read, Canon's turn-around time is a week or less.

3. Quality control issues

I have now had two lenses fail me a total of four times in less than a year. Seriously. Is this normal? For any brand?

I'd be looking at a 40D setup. The main thing holding me back from switching is, obviously, the cost involved in doing such a thing and also to Canon's inferior handling. I could probably get used to the controls, but I'd have a niggling feeling that a D90 or D300 would be so much faster at adjusting important settings (WB/ISO/QUAL/AF/METER/DRV/etc).

Just wanted to throw that out there.

^ Yeah, yeah, I know. I have played around with a D60, D80, D90 and D300. While the latter three are definitely much improved in many respects, the D60, D80 and D90 still have the same AF lag; not sure about the D300.

Last edited:
lol @ AtlPikMan's response.

I can't really help you with your concerns about Nikon, as i shoot Canon. But i don't think saying a D90/D300 will be faster at changing settings faster than a Canon. I'm pretty sure that someone who knows their camera inside out can adjust settings just as quick with either brand.

I shoot a D80. I have no issues with focusing. Sure you were using the correct settings. Could be the lens also. Some lenses are slower than others.

and also to Canon's inferior handling. I could probably get used to the controls, but I'd have a niggling feeling that a D90 or D300 would be so much faster at adjusting important settings (WB/ISO/QUAL/AF/METER/DRV/etc).

Not sure that I'd call Canon's handling "inferior"...

IMO, most of those settings rarely need changing - and when they do, it's pretty easy.

AF is just a little switch on the lens. WB & ISO have their own button and can be changed pretty quickly (if you shoot RAW, WB never really needs changing either). Quality (for me) never gets changed - it's always on RAW. Metering mode and drive mode don't get changed very often, and they also have their own button.

No, I do not think it's normal to have two lenses fail.
I've never had any lens failures (I shoot Canon). I have had a body fail though (350D). The LCD just stopped working one day. I still use the camera. The warranty is up (isn't that always the case...), so I never bothered getting it fixed. Even without the use of the LCD, it's still easy enough to change any settings that need changing.

If you do switch, I think you will be happy with Canon. I just don't think that it's entirely necessary. I've never used a Nikon camera though, so maybe it really will make a difference for you. I've always just assumed that they were pretty much the same.

I'm starting to get frustrated with Nikon, for a few reasons...

1. Slower autofocus

I've missed many shots because of it. No matter how many times I try to keep myself away from Canons, I'm always drawn towards their incredible autofocus speed. It's not just that the lenses have faster AF overall (even non-USM lenses are faster than Nikon's "fake" AF-S lenses), but the Canon bodies seem to initiate AF with zero lag, where Nikons have a very slight lag that makes a very big difference for shooting anything that movies.

2. Crappy warranty service

Sure, the warranties are two years on bodies and five on lenses. But, what good is that if you have to be without your gear for three weeks or more (two, if you're lucky) at a time? I need a particular lens in two weeks, which is broken at the moment. Will I have it back in time from Nikon? Who knows!? From what I read, Canon's turn-around time is a week or less.

3. Quality control issues

I have now had two lenses fail me a total of four times in less than a year. Seriously. Is this normal? For any brand?

I'd be looking at a 40D setup. The main thing holding me back from switching is, obviously, the cost involved in doing such a thing and also to Canon's inferior handling. I could probably get used to the controls, but I'd have a niggling feeling that a D90 or D300 would be so much faster at adjusting important settings (WB/ISO/QUAL/AF/METER/DRV/etc).

Just wanted to throw that out there.

You shoot with a D40....what do you expect?

Also, what lenses are you using? Just like every other system, some are faster then others.

Most of nikon's AF-S lenses are right there, and same with the AF-D's if you got a body that has the torque.

I believe the simple solution to your problem is to go to a camera store where they have the various models from both manufacturers on display and play with them at length. Most good stores will let you shoot with the camera and get a good feel for it.

As for the warranty work, I've not had to deal with Canon warranty service through 4 bodies. From what I gather on the Canon forums it's either a GREAT service or it's horrible. It goes to both extremes. If you join the CPS program (which I have) you get priority service on your gear (3 day turn around) - it's the Canon professional services program. Right now you can join for free. You can't top that. If only Nikon offered a similar program to their non-professional customers. For that type of service you have to be a "bone-a-fide" professional that makes a living using Nikon gear and prove it to them. Canon just juices you for a few bucks every year when they're not giving the entry level program away for free.

As pointed out, you shoot a D40.

Which Canon have you tried? A 1D Mark III?

Try a 450D against a D90/D60, or a D300 against a D40/50.

There's nothing wrong with Nikon; and I use Canon.

Heck, if the 5D MKII had the awesome autofocusing of the D700, I'd be glad. But it doesn't.

It all depends on level.

The D40 definately has a lower level AF system in the camera. The lenses you list in your sig are also in the lower end. The AF issue I can understand as I know Nikon is not going to put in their best AF system in their cheapest camera. The lenses I am wondering what went wrong with them? Even though they are on the low end of their quality level, still should get good long life from them unless they are abused.

I can say I have had my current Nikon lenses for over 10 years now. I have not had a single problem with any of them (5 of them). Now all of them are the top lenses that were made. They are the older D-type not the new AF-I or AF-S / VR ones though. So they don't have as much electrical problems that can go wrong. And for build they are very sturdy compared to the lower level ones.

I am not telling you to not jump systems. As I was Nikon nut for years and tested the Canon waters when the 20D came out (still have it), but have since upgraded my Nikon DSLR's within the last year. But, I would not trash an entire camera system based on tests from their lowest pricing point products. Obviously Nikons better bodies and lenses are of a good quality or pro's would have jumped to Canon a long time ago. There will always be people to jump one way or the other. Or like me have some of both (or more) :p.

As for the service issue. As far as I know (what I have read). It takes a while for any service work. I have seen some with pro accounts can get expidited service, but don't expect pro service with lower end gear though. :(. And with the economy I bet the service center probably laid off people and service probably takes a little longer than it would a year or so ago.

If you do go with Canon make sure you compare Apples to Apples, as each system has several levels of qualities and features. Sorry your having a rough time with your equipment.

I shoot a D80. I have no issues with focusing. Sure you were using the correct settings.
There are no "slow down my autofocus" settings.

Could be the lens also. Some lenses are slower than others.
Also, what lenses are you using? Just like every other system, some are faster then others.

Most of nikon's AF-S lenses are right there, and same with the AF-D's if you got a body that has the torque.
I know, but what I'm saying is:

• All Canon lenses are faster at focusing across the board. Cheap Canon lenses have faster AF than cheap Nikon lenses. Mid-range Canon lenses have faster AF than mid-range Nikon lenses. I've never been lucky enough to try either brand's high-end lenses ;)
  • All Canon bodies (even the cheap ones) initiate autofocus faster than Nikon bodies do. Nikons have a slight lag after half-pressing the shutter release button. Canons have no such lag.

As pointed out, you shoot a D40.
As also pointed out, I've used a D80, D90 and D300 and had the same experience.

As for the warranty work, I've not had to deal with Canon warranty service through 4 bodies. From what I gather on the Canon forums it's either a GREAT service or it's horrible. It goes to both extremes.
Exactly. With Nikon, it's always horrible.

Which Canon have you tried? A 1D Mark III?

Try a 450D against a D90/D60, or a D300 against a D40/50.
300D, 400D, 450D, 40D and 50D. They're all faster in terms of AF.

The lenses I am wondering what went wrong with them?
Heh... the autofocus. Every time.

Even though they are on the low end of their quality level, still should get good long life from them unless they are abused.
I agree, and I take good care of my stuff.

Last edited:
Ah, did you get reports from the first 2 services on the 18-55? Did they actually change anything? And how well did the lens fit the camera? The mount nice and tight or a little loose? Wondering if its a contact thing or motor in the lens actually failing?

I have a D40X and the 18-55 on it. But since its just for when I travel I am sure it doesn't get used as much as yours. How long have you had the two (know the 35 is new).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back