getting into photography

enneyesee19

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to get into photography and I'm really not sure what to get as my first purchase. A wide variety of shots are going to be taken like sports shots, landscapes, and many more. I was wondering if i wanted to go digital would i have to go to SLR to get the quality I want or could I go with something like the Cyber Shot DSCH1. Any other suggestions either digital or 35mm would be great. thanks alot.

Oh my... how long's a peice of string?

What's your budget?
Can you afford the constant film processing? Can you afford the constant upgrading of hard drives, and memory cards?

What do you want to be doing with your photos once you've taken them? - website use, or blow up to huge sizes and hang them on the wall?

Where are you going to be using the camera? Do you need something small and able to carry easily, or does the extra weight not bother you?

Vicky makes more than a passing point here. Photography is as varied and wide a field as the imagination. Sit down and make a list of what you plan to do. Leave nothing out. Think very long and hard, then by process of elimination post the top two or three fields you want to pursue. Then we will have a place to start.

Quality... is subjective... There are some photographers who make a living from pinholes. Nope.... SLR is not necessarily required. All you need is a love to learn and experiment.

Where do you see yourself in 1/3/5 year's time? Also, where's the industry going to be then? It's a very tricky question, but if you give us more details, then I am sure that we can come up with more useful advice.

Rob

Most reactions

Back