Getting into Wedding Photography!

kriswilson819

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello! This is my first post!
Up until now, I've only done portrait photography and I REALLY want get into wedding photography this year. I'd like to shadow or even second shoot AT LEAST one wedding before advertising as a wedding photographer.

I've contacted photographers in my area and even a family member who is a photographer, and no one will get back to me; I feel like I'm stuck in limbo! I don't know if they are avoiding me or if they are just too busy to deal with me right now.

I've had two calls this month asking if I do weddings. I had to tell them "I'm starting wedding photography this year but, to be honest, you'd be my first wedding." "okay, thank you, bye."

I'd feel bad telling someone "Yes, I do weddings" as if I'm a pro at it, when I've never done a wedding. Now what do I do? Do I advertise that I'll do my first # of weddings for free and they only pay for prints. Or charge only for my time? For my first year, my planned package was: $500- 4 hours of shooting and atleast 100 edited photos on a USB. But now I'm not so sure what to do....any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd feel bad telling someone "Yes, I do weddings" as if I'm a pro at it, when I've never done a wedding.

You are not a wedding photographer and you'd be committing malpractice, as it were. Advice? Get some experience before you hang out your shingle as a wedding pro.

NOTE: If you search the term "wedding" and "advice" in this forum, you'll find 100's of prior threads on this topic. My advice above is the bottom line on those former threads. Don't mean to sound harsh, but it is what it is.

Good luck.

EDIT: For the record, I'm not a pro. I'm an amateur photographer whose only been paid to shoot a small handful of events Having said that, I've been on this forum for nearly 2 years and I've seen your identical "post" dozens of times--enough times that I know how 90% of those full-time wedding pros on this forum generally will respond. Just my $0.02. YMMV.

Last edited:
Here's what I would do. Find some models and build a decent portfolio of wedding-style shots (bridal portraits, first kiss, couples formals, etc) and then go around to established pros in the area (or better yet, outside your area, that way you're not going to be viewed as a competitor) and see if you can get second-shooter gigs.

Maybe advertise in wedding forums to do a wedding for free as you are new to it. Some ppl cant afford a wedding photographer and would love it. This way your get experience and build a portfolio. Good luck!

Second shooting is not the first step. The first step is assistant (carry stuff, hold stuff, keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open). I would say 1+ years of that. Then, you might get to second shoot. After several years of that you might be ready to go out on your own. If you are already in business (and I assume that from your portrait work you mentioned) then you might be able to second shoot right away. Cold calling rarely works. I suggest joining your local PPA or other photography club in the area and network with them. It's easier to get in that way because now they know you from the group meetings.

I was lucky. I got a job with a local studio. It's money maker was school photos but he also offered weddings events and had a studio. I would bounce around assisting. When my college friend got married she had no money so I shot it as a gift. When I showed the proofs to my boss he made me a second wedding photographer so he could double book. And I took off from there.

I think it would help you to establish some contacts first. Get some second shooting opportunities and hold off for another year or two before even thinking of going solo.

These are just my opinions. You are under no obligation to take my advice. Good luck!

+1 to Christina's comments. Plus networking could drum up other B2B opportunities.

Shooting for free is rarely, if ever, a good idea.

Offering a portfolio building discount is a viable alternative.

Second shooting is not the first step. The first step is assistant (carry stuff, hold stuff, keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open). I would say 1+ years of that. Then, you might get to second shoot. After several years of that you might be ready to go out on your own. If you are already in business (and I assume that from your portrait work you mentioned) then you might be able to second shoot right away. Cold calling rarely works. I suggest joining your local PPA or other photography club in the area and network with them. It's easier to get in that way because now they know you from the group meetings.

I was lucky. I got a job with a local studio. It's money maker was school photos but he also offered weddings events and had a studio. I would bounce around assisting. When my college friend got married she had no money so I shot it as a gift. When I showed the proofs to my boss he made me a second wedding photographer so he could double book. And I took off from there.

I think it would help you to establish some contacts first. Get some second shooting opportunities and hold off for another year or two before even thinking of going solo.

These are just my opinions. You are under no obligation to take my advice. Good luck!

This is a very good point that second shooting isn't always the first step depending on the primary photographer. My second shooter is extremely advanced, but I get what I pay for. I expect alot from her, but I pay her accordingly.

Honestly you can try to network more with photographers but I think it is just where you live. I have a similar problem with photographers around here very very small and tight nit community that I doubt they are going to let any of them in alot of them do not even have second shooters. If you already do portrait photography and you get paid for it I am assuming you know photography well. I would offer your first wedding dirt cheap ($500.00) for your time sounds about right. Make it very very clear this is your first wedding and it is priced accordingly. The type of people you will attract in this are not usually worried about their photos in fact it may be you or they just decide uncle Harry with a nice camera takes them. Of course you still want to deliver (practice, practice and practice again) but I think a little of the pressure will be taken off. Like I said just my opinion.

Second shooting isn't easy to come by. Ive been searching for awhile. even went from indy to cincy (2 hours) to a studio hiring second shooters and although he said he really liked my work he was hesitant because i'm so far away. Most people want someone they can trust to be there second shooter which can make it hard as well. but just keep trying. keep building up your portfolio keep nocking on doors and put the effort in. if there are some established studiods, visit them in person with a book of your work. shows a bit more initiative then just calling or sending out an email.

I would also chancge the amount of time you want to second shoot before you start advertising your own weddings. I've done my own wedding allready and know i'm not ready to do more. i'd plan on second shooting at least a dozen or more weddings before you think about handling them yourself.

Most reactions

Back