Getting Nikon D610 soon, what type of lenses should I buy?

Halnex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I'm gonna buy a new Nikon D610 FF soon *fingers crossed* and I wanna get 2 lenses: 50mm 1.4f and something wide enough for landscapes.

I only have 1 website to buy this from: souq.com

My question is, which 50mm should I get? Because lenses are DX and FX format and I know that I should be buying FX lenses otherwise I'd lose the Full Frame advantages of my camera.

Would this work? Nikon AF 50mm f/1.4 D
Nikon AF 50mm f/1.4 D price, review and buy in UAE, Dubai, Abu Dhabi | Souq

Or would I need something like this with AF-S: Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4G Interchangable Lenses
Nikon Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4G Interchangable Lenses, Black price, review and buy in UAE, Dubai, Abu Dhabi | Souq

Please note that both of these lenses don't mention whether they are DX or FX

About the wide lens, I have the same question, is it absolutely necessary to get an FX lens? They're a bit more expensive the rest.
Souq.com has this offer: Nikon D610 + 24-85mm VR AF-S Nikkor Lens
Nikon D610 with 24-85mm VR AF-S Nikkor Lens Kit (24.3 Megapixel, Digital SLR Camera, Black) price, review and buy in UAE, Dubai, Abu Dhabi | Souq

Is that an FX lens? If it is, do you think it's better to get this one and add to it the 50mm 1.4 instead of doing it the other way around?

Thank you.

1. both the 50mm's you linked will work.
2. yes, you must get an FX len (which is the majority of them).
3. yes that's an FX lens. 24mm is still wide enough for landscapes and that's a really decent kit lens.

Thank you for your reply.

What's the difference between AF and AF-S?
Is it only that with AF the ring rotates so I have to keep my hands free?

AF uses the body's focusing motor to focus the lens. AF-S has a built in focus motor in the lens itself.

And which one is better?
If it was you, which one would you go for knowing the budget limit and why?

Here is my opinion. if your camera body has a focus motor built I see no reason to buy a AF-S lens instead of a AF lens, the AF lenses cost less money and will usually be just as good or better. with a AF-S lens you would be paying extra for a focus motor in the lens that you do not really need.

if the lens you really want happens to be a FX format AF-S lens than by all means get that one, I would look around for a similar AF lens and see if i could save a few bucks though.

between those 50mm lenses you linked I would buy the 50mm 1.4 D and save a few bucks. if I had a focus motor in my camera body I would have go the 50mm 1.4D, I hear that is a better lens and it cost less. my friend has that lens and its very nice.

Here is my opinion. if your camera body has a focus motor built I see no reason to buy a AF-S lens instead of a AF lens, the AF lenses cost less money and will usually be just as good or better. with a AF-S lens you would be paying extra for a focus motor in the lens that you do not really need.

there's tons of reasons. focus performance and IQ being two of them.

I'd personally just buy the 50mm 1.8G.

So the question is, does the Nikon D610 has a built-in focus motor.

is that the question? because it's been inherently answered here...

the answer is yes. google told me this.

And which one is better?
If it was you, which one would you go for knowing the budget limit and why?
The notion that Nikon AF lenses are less expensive than AF-S lenses because of the AF motor in AF-S lenses is not valid.
The difference in cost is about the optics and the lens build quality.

AF lenses are a previous generation of Nikon lenses and tend to be the professional grade lenses for their time.
Some of the Nikon AF lenses still available as a new lens today are consumer grade.
AF-S lenses are more state-of-the-art, and come in 3 grades - consumer, prosumer, and professional.
Nikon introduced AF-S lenses in 1996.

Most of the currently offered Nikon AF lenses are not inexpensive.

AF-S lenses often will auto focus faster than their AF counter part.
The prosumer and pro grade AF-S lenses generally deliver better optical performance than the equivalent older AF lenses.

It looks like there is only 1 AF lens currently offered that is a DX lens, the AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5 mm f/2.8G ED.

I would suggest buying the camera with the 24-85mm AF-S VR lens, and thus having the ability to use different focal lengths. A 50mm lens is somewhat limiting, since it has only the one,single focal length.

Most reactions

Back