Getting Photo Passes to Concerts.

One concert photography I like is Todd Owyoung. He got his start by having one really nice publicist allow him access to the show when he was a no-name.
So yeah, try the big bands. You'll be rejected 99% of the time, but all you need is that 1% :)

Can't sell them? Oh well, didn't plan on it anyways...
I like your Idea Destin. I'd probably do that.

I was told to contact some no name bands, and just get some shots of people no one has heard of to start.
Not a bad idea, Ill still try to get the big names too though.

Thanks guys.

One other thing that you might wanna try is looking into Big name Christian bands coming to your area.

I have gotten access to shoot two of the biggest Christian artists in the world (toby mac, and skillet). Photos are on my site here The security at Christian concerts isn't generally as tight, and they are more willing to give young photogs like us a shot.

Yeah, but then you have to sit through Christian rock music though...

Can't sell them? Oh well, didn't plan on it anyways...
I like your Idea Destin. I'd probably do that.

I was told to contact some no name bands, and just get some shots of people no one has heard of to start.
Not a bad idea, Ill still try to get the big names too though.

Thanks guys.

One other thing that you might wanna try is looking into Big name Christian bands coming to your area.

I have gotten access to shoot two of the biggest Christian artists in the world (toby mac, and skillet). Photos are on my site here The security at Christian concerts isn't generally as tight, and they are more willing to give young photogs like us a shot.

Dude, have you ever listened to skillet? They get played on secular (non-christian) stations alllllll the time. One of the best rock bands out right now, their show was amazing!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dude, have you ever listened to skillet? They get played on secular (non-christian) stations alllllll the time. One of the best rock bands out right now, their show was amazing!

No, I don't listen to "Skillet". But I can assure you, I do not want those guys cooking my home fries.

I don't listen to the Radio, and if I did, it wouldn't be Christian music. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
One concert photography I like is Todd Owyoung. He got his start by having one really nice publicist allow him access to the show when he was a no-name.
So yeah, try the big bands. You'll be rejected 99% of the time, but all you need is that 1% :)

but Todd didn't go after "big" bands immediately. He shot everything, from college stuff to places with open camera policies to what he could get passes to. He got as much experience as he could. Going after big names when you've never shot any shows? Nowadays kids want to start at the top, but it sure doesn't hurt to develop some skill first.

Totally agree. He did pay his dues and worked hard. I didn't want to imply in any way that he only is who he is because of that one publicist. Not at all.
But... he did have some images to show a publicist, again, back when he was a no name. And that publicist did take a chance and let him shoot...which gave him his break... after paying his dues in the clubs (which is where I am now lol)

Thank you very much vfotog for that clarification.

In my eyes, the biggest hurdle you'll be facing is your age. If you were 21 it would open up a lot more opportunities. See if you can find out who the smaller, local promoters are in your area that book shows in all age venues. Almost all of the bands you find this way will be locals but that doesn't matter, build relationships. It doesn't matter what kind of music it is, even if you hate it, just go shoot it. Give the bands free license to use the images on their myspace/facebook pages and if they want anything else make them pay. Get to know as many people as you can in the business, venue owner/managers especially. If the promoters you hook up with are growing you may be able to grow with them. You shoot some of the local bands they've booked and maybe he'll help you shoot a regional band or two that he brings in and you can grow from there. The main thing to remember is to shoot, shoot and keep shooting. It takes a lot of practice to consistently deliver in this type of photography. You'll probably learn best by shooting in as many different venues/lighting situations as possible so shoot anywhere that will give you the time of day. Don't forget free events in the parks and what not. Get there early, ask someone setting stuff up who's in charge and find out if it's ok to shoot. Good luck.

All good tips / concerns guys. I'm taking everything into consideration.
I've emailed some more, and done some more research on bands. I do check to make sure that they are in-fact all ages.
The hardest part, for me atleast, is finding the small, upcoming bands. But I shall keep trying.

Something I just thought of: Every musical equipment store I've ever been in has had a bulletin board for bands. Check there for upcoming shows. Maybe after you feel confident enough put a small flier up if they'll let you.

Something I just thought of: Every musical equipment store I've ever been in has had a bulletin board for bands. Check there for upcoming shows. Maybe after you feel confident enough put a small flier up if they'll let you.

Thats a fantastic idea! Thank you!

Maybe after you feel confident enough put a small flier up if they'll let you.

Very good idea, little laminated flier with some of your best work plus your website, phone number and e-mail.

I don't think age matters so much as how you act. I shot my first concert at 16 but I wasn't your average 16 yo either. Almost never used a pass but when I did it was often a home made media ID card :D

I've used a lot of different ways of getting backstage (more interesting to me than the actual concert) from pretty girls to paying off a security guy. If you look and act like you belong there you will rarely get thrown out. Or, at least, I didn't.

Of course, things have changed in this industry with everyone trying to squeeze every penny they can out of everything but I'm sure they are still ways to get in. You just need to get creative.

And I totally disagree with the person who said you don't belong there. Sounds to me like one of those photogs who is afraid of the younger, upcoming generations. If you can find a way, you DO belong there.

Good luck to you.

I don't think age matters so much as how you act. I shot my first concert at 16 but I wasn't your average 16 yo either. Almost never used a pass but when I did it was often a home made media ID card :D

I've used a lot of different ways of getting backstage (more interesting to me than the actual concert) from pretty girls to paying off a security guy. If you look and act like you belong there you will rarely get thrown out. Or, at least, I didn't.

Of course, things have changed in this industry with everyone trying to squeeze every penny they can out of everything but I'm sure they are still ways to get in. You just need to get creative.

And I totally disagree with the person who said you don't belong there. Sounds to me like one of those photogs who is afraid of the younger, upcoming generations. If you can find a way, you DO belong there.

Good luck to you.

Thanks man, thats what I like to hear.

No need to thank me.

1/ I believe in going after what I want and I see no reason for others not to do it too.

2/ Photography is a creative endeavor and, to me, it means being creative in every aspect of it, including getting backstage at concerts :D

Now, I said I wasn't an average 16 yo and that is true when it comes to the big names in the arts. I grew up surrounded by very well known artists so that I felt very comfortable around these people whether I knew them or not and it helped when trying to get backstage. I was not impressed by the fame and so I didn't act like a fan.

But that is something you can learn to do. Actually, you need to learn to do it. Ask for an autograph and you'll most probably get thrown out. Just tell yourself these people are no different, which btw they are not for the most part, keep it professional and you'll be fine. Especially if you can deal with the fact that you will not always get what you want. Just keep in mind that it is a numbers game: the more you ask/try, the more chances you will get in from time to time.

And if you play your hand right, someday you will get invited to shows rather than having to ask for a pass.

Good luck to you.

wow, in a later post you talk about being "professional"? There's nothing professional about using girls and paying off guards and making counterfeit passes. You're lucky you didn't get arrested for trespassing. It all depends on whether someone is serious about being a photographer or just some loser who wants to trick people so he can hang backstage. Sorry, but even if you weren't asking for autographs, you were still acting like a stalker fan.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back