Getting published...

Abstract

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
if you have some photos that you would like to try and get published in some way how do you go about promoting your images? Is there some generally accepted procedure or do you email the people who you think might be interested? if so what format do you write your email in? Or is it considered rude to self promote? Exciting yet scary stuff!! Thank you in advance.

As far as i know publishers/editors don't appreciate a bunch of photos arriving unannounced on their desk or in their inbox.

I think the best way is either to use an image library and let prospective buyers find your shots or to write/email/phone a magazine/book/whatever and say you have shots of an area/subject/event and ask if they'd be interested in using them for an agreed fee.

Calling a magazine will probably mean you need to know the appropriate rate for using your photo which can be tricky but through the library that is easier since you may be offered a price for a certain use.

No matter which route you go down, you'll need to make it clear that you retain copyright of the image.

Everything you need to know:

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1582971765/qid=1130165870/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl/202-1491828-6308626[/ame]

Well none of my images are going to make front cover that is for sure ;) but a small print on page 96 of an un-known magazine would make me exstatically happy (easily pleased ;) ) and it is a start. I think I shall try emailing/writing to the amateur magazines that ask for submissions to start and also I found a couple of publishing companies that ask for photographers to contact them re: submission for their calenders its a long shot but worth a try.

Darich what image library would you suggest??

Robhesketh thanks for thelink I'll check out the book for sure cheers!!

there are several image libraries and each one caters for different markets. It's difficult to receommend one without knowing if you shoot sports/architecture/landscapes etc.
I'm registered on one called Photographers Direct. I've been registered for a few months now and have had one sale - a calendar company in Germany used a shot i took in San Francisco on holiday. I've also got quite a few possibles in the pipeline which may or may not come off for me. If they do i'll be pretty well off. If not, then i've lost nothing.

Another option is to get your own website and tell your friends and work colleagues about it and that you sell prints. Tell everyone you know about your site - that's what i did and i've sold several prints from my site. By no means a huge amount of money but it still gives me a kick that someone likes a shot enough to part with cash and hang it on their wall :mrgreen:

Damn you hehe...

Hmm...you could try doing some free work for bands and such people? I got my work in a newspaper that way :D!

cheers for the link will go look! I shoot a bit of everything or at least I try but seem to have fallen into pet portraiture at the moment. I've done a few free shoots for people and they've been pleased.

I will start working on a website of my own for holding my work too. Thats a cool idea.

Cheers guys you rock!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back