Getting Really Into Sport Photography. Need Input

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good decision on buying the 85mm f/1.8--it's a solid performer, and will be pretty useful when you need realllly fast aperture settings, plus a lightweight, easy-to-handle lens.

MLCIII

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I'm an enthusiast 7D shooter, and I can say I've never had issues with it's ISO. It has 2 DIGIC IV processors, making it's low-light processing much better than what you'd get out of an entry-level dSLR. Also, shooting in RAW will help when doing noise reduction in post. It's cheaper than the 6D (by a lot), which you won't be able to use your EF-S lens with. and the 7D's 1.6x crop sensor will give you more effective reach. Also, don't worry about it becoming obsolete any time soon. Canon released a firmware update last August that quelled rumors of a replacement coming soon. That update now allows you to burst up to 25 RAWs at 8fps, which will seriously make you happy pants if you haven't experienced it before :)

Juga

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I'm an enthusiast 7D shooter, and I can say I've never had issues with it's ISO. It has 2 DIGIC IV processors, making it's low-light processing much better than what you'd get out of an entry-level dSLR. Also, shooting in RAW will help when doing noise reduction in post. It's cheaper than the 6D (by a lot), which you won't be able to use your EF-S lens with. and the 7D's 1.6x crop sensor will give you more effective reach. Also, don't worry about it becoming obsolete any time soon. Canon released a firmware update last August that quelled rumors of a replacement coming soon. That update now allows you to burst up to 25 RAWs at 8fps, which will seriously make you happy pants if you haven't experienced it before :)

What do you consider low light and how fast can you get your shutter speeds? Plus I doubt he will be using his EF-S lenses indoors with his 70-200 available making those less useful for his purpose of sports action.

MLCIII

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I also agree with Derrel, the 85/1.8 is fantastic for low light once you're used to shooting with a prime lens. Here's a shot with my 7D and 85/1.8. Exif attached, for those too lazy:
85mm, f/1.8, 1/640, ISO 1600

It was night roller derby match held on a basketball court, so exactly same environment OP has explained.

IMG_3921 (1) by MLCIII, on Flickr

Juga

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Very nice shot.

Having used the 5D MK III quite a bit it would make my decision extremely difficult but no doubt the 7D is nice as I have already stated. Sure beats my entry DSLR...

Most reactions

New Topics