getting rid of full frame for better glass and film?

I have thought about the D7000 but I've heard a lot of people complaining about getting oil splattering on the sensor and having to get it cleaned every 3-4 months. Can any D7000 owners comment on this?

I have a D7000, and love it! No issues so far (who knows, they may occur.) The ones with problems are always the ones who holler loudest... so they are usually very visible. Those who don't have problems (the majority in this case, I believe) just keep on shooting. I would love to know what percentage of D7000 owners have actually had the "splattering" problem! :)

I love my D90 and find it great for all I do, but I would have to think long and hard if I had the quality of full frame photos at my disposal! As mentioned, the 5D does produce fantastic image quality despite its flaws.

But I would go for the D90, if it means you can open your wallet to invest in better glass. Because as perfolderoldo said 'Glass is more important!'. You can get yourself a gorgeous Sigma 50 1.4, Nikon 35 1.8, Tamron 90 2.8 within that budget (I now want the 35 1.8, I have the other two and love them both passionately). If you wanted to push the budget quite a bit, you can get yourself a Sigma 85 1.4. Sounds like some exciting lens purchases lie ahead of you!

Which lenses are you thinking about?

That sounds very exciting indeed! Really pushing me towards the D90 now. All those lenses are exactly what I'm looking for, plus an all purpose lens for the inevitability of street and travel photography. Something like a 17-40mm, with a good motor. The Sigma 85mm looks fantastic, will definitely take a look at it! Thanks for the advice :D

Actually the avatar's slightly misleading, i'm a press photographer, and the avatar was Zara Phillips' wedding in Edinburgh a couple of months ago, for the Sunday Times :)
I've used Canon gear all my days, but from what I hear the D90's a cracking piece of kit, as is the D7000, so that might be worth a look. Always get the best glass you can afford, that will make a far bigger difference to your photography than a supposedly 'better' body.

Fantastic! I was in Australia at the time so I missed the wedding and seeing your shots in the paper :( but if you ever need an assistant! Photojournalism is another area I'm really interested in, as it ties in to my travel interests. The two are quite similar. How did you get into that kind of area?

And as for the polaroid issue, I'm in touch with a polaroid user in Canada and she's already given me great advice about film and DSLR cameras. Her photos are lovely, if you're interested in polaroid took a look Mocking Bird

I have just been looking through some of my shots taken when I was traveling with my 500D in tow. They are great shots (if I do say so myself :p). Although image quality leaves a lot to be desired (blocky colours - if anyone has a rebel you might know what I'm talking about) but it's the content of the images that strike me first and leave me to disregard - if not totally ignore - the digital defects of the image. I've sent some away to get printed so I'll get to see the true detail of the images :D

Thanks again everyone for your advice :D

I have thought about the D7000 but I've heard a lot of people complaining about getting oil splattering on the sensor and having to get it cleaned every 3-4 months. Can any D7000 owners comment on this?

I have a D7000, and love it! No issues so far (who knows, they may occur.) The ones with problems are always the ones who holler loudest... so they are usually very visible. Those who don't have problems (the majority in this case, I believe) just keep on shooting. I would love to know what percentage of D7000 owners have actually had the "splattering" problem! :)

Thanks for your comment on the matter. There were whole threads on flickr, dpreview.com and stevesdigicams (I'd link them but can't find the specific URLs) which made me nervous. But who knows, it might just be the user :p

Thanks for your comment on the matter. There were whole threads on flickr, dpreview.com and stevesdigicams (I'd link them but can't find the specific URLs) which made me nervous. But who knows, it might just be the user :p

No.. they do have a problem.... it isn't just the user! It is just that the ones having the problems are posting about the issue, so you see a lot of threads on it.

Keep in mind that the d90 is not fully compatible with old manual focus nikon lenses, the d300, d700 and d7000 are, they wont meter on the d90. Personaly i see 35mm film as a novelty these days--digital is just "better" at small format. Medium and large format is a different story, id suggest an inexpensive tlr like a yashica as your film camera.

Keep in mind that the d90 is not fully compatible with old manual focus nikon lenses, the d300, d700 and d7000 are, they wont meter on the d90. Personaly i see 35mm film as a novelty these days--digital is just "better" at small format. Medium and large format is a different story, id suggest an inexpensive tlr like a yashica as your film camera.

Yeah a Yashica 124g is actually what I'm looking at buying. I'm in love with TLRs and the image quality they produce. Heck, if I'm going to spend money on producing film pictures they may as well be large format!

I also managed to get my hands on a SX-70 for 30GBP.

Still debating the DSLR issue though. Any more thoughts on good glass to get?

Thanks everyone.

I recently went from full-frame (film) to the 1.5 "cropped" sensor with an old Nikon D200 ('cause I'm cheap). I get all the image quality I need with the smaller sensor and only 10MP. (But if I want mind-blowing detail, it's easy to take 4 or 6 or 8 images and stitch them.) And the newer models you mentioned will be many years improved over mine. As others have said, ergonomics and glass are the most important.

OUCH you do seem to be all over the place

are you a female with small hands perchance

I would go with Nikon equipment Camera AND lenses

I have just bought used a D700 AND a a whole host of really good (BUT not Pro)(a good Pro AF/AF-S Nikkor Zoom will cost around £1,000 or more - old manual ons are cheaper but hold their prices very very well) Nikon AF lenses - Nikkor 50mm 1.4g. Nikkor 85mm 1.8 Nikkor18-35mm 3.5 Nikkor 35-70 2.8 Nikkor 70- 300mm 4.5 and i am still well under £2,500 spend ATM

Just carried out a quick but fairly deep comparison with my sons Canon Rebel 550 with the kit zoom and unless you are going to print at 60" x 72" your not going to see any real differences in the end result Of course the D700 has an immense ISO range and it can produce results in light that the Canon cant even contemplate.

IF you have small hands i would go for a D40 really cheap and cheerful off flebay < £150 if you are a canny bidder OR if you want to use all the old 35mm manual AS-I Nikkor lenses from the manual film camera days and want in camera metering get a D200 prob have to pay around £350 on fleabay a D90 will cost around £600 on fleabay Old and great AS-I Nikkor lenses start from under £50 on fleabay

go here and have a LONG HARD READ

KenRockwell.com: Photography, Cameras and Taking Better Pictures

want to talk to me PM me and we can swap tel numbers.

Last edited:
I recently went from full-frame (film) to the 1.5 "cropped" sensor with an old Nikon D200 ('cause I'm cheap). I get all the image quality I need with the smaller sensor and only 10MP. (But if I want mind-blowing detail, it's easy to take 4 or 6 or 8 images and stitch them.) And the newer models you mentioned will be many years improved over mine. As others have said, ergonomics and glass are the most important.

I have just bought used a D700 AND a a whole host of really good (BUT not Pro)(a good Pro AF/AF-S Nikkor Zoom will cost around £1,000 or more - old manual ons are cheaper but hold their prices very very well) Nikon AF lenses - Nikkor 50mm 1.4g. Nikkor 85mm 1.8 Nikkor18-35mm 3.5 Nikkor 35-70 2.8 Nikkor 70- 300mm 4.5 and i am still well under £2,500 spend ATM

Just carried out a quick but fairly deep comparison with my sons Canon Rebel 550 with the kit zoom and unless you are going to print at 60" x 72" your not going to see any real differences in the end result Of course the D700 has an imense ISO range and it can poroduce results in light that the Canon cant even contemplate.

IF you have small hands i would go for a D40 really cheap and cheerful off flebay < £150 if you are a canny bidder OR if you want to use all the old 35mm manual AS-I Nikkor lenses from the manual film camera days and want in camera metering get a D200 prob have to pay around £350 on fleabay a D90 will cost around £600 on fleabay Old and great AS-I Nikkor lenses start from under £50 on fleabay

Not bad advice, apart from the Ken Rockwell bit.

Rockwell does do decent reviews, but if you don't know about Rockwell. You need to realise some of the stuff he says should be taken with a complete pinch of salt! He reviews products without even testing them sometimes which raises many question marks about some of his opinions!

Just carried out a quick but fairly deep comparison with my sons Canon Rebel 550 with the kit zoom and unless you are going to print at 60" x 72" your not going to see any real differences in the end result Of course the D700 has an imense ISO range and it can poroduce results in light that the Canon cant even contemplate.

Not bad advice, apart from the Ken Rockwell bit.

Rockwell does do decent reviews, but if you don't know about Rockwell. You need to realise some of the stuff he says should be taken with a complete pinch of salt! He reviews products without even testing them sometimes which raises many question marks about some of his opinions!

YES KR is somewhat biased at least that is how i read his stuff BUT it is ONE SITE with a lot of useful INFO. For sure are we not all quite opinionated why else post here except of course to help others. One must always remember that the 'advice' we get here and elsewhere online can be worth what it costs -------------- 'nothing'

Our lives our choices and ultimately our responsibilities for our own actions.

HUMMM not bad advice --- did you have trouble typing some good advice :-(

I am indeed, to both statements. I have small hands but long fingers, and for some reason the D90 just felt better, even more than the D7000.

And as for Ken Rockwell - I do go to him for decent, frank, decoded advice. He allows you to step back from all the technological analysis and really look at what a camera has to offer without being overwhelmed by the latest gimmicks. But as suggested, I do take it with a pinch of salt.

The Canon 5D does not do it for me....primarily as the shutter button is not where 'i naturally' expect it to be - in the hand it felt all wrong...... A while ago i took some mem cards and my laptop into Jessops in Glasgow and spent an hour playing with the cameras and lenses taking many images to take home and analyse. They were really happy to go through that process for me. So why not have a hour or so in Jessops Edinburgh and take some images home to evaluate as well as finding out which camera feels right in the hand........somewhat important really. In the good old days 35mm cameras were all fairly identical - eyes closed you could operate a nikon canon or pentax without thinking about it not that having your eyes closed was the best way to get a good picture of course :)

Yeah a Yashica 124g is actually what I'm looking at buying. I'm in love with TLRs and the image quality they produce. Heck, if I'm going to spend money on producing film pictures they may as well be large format!

Thanks everyone.

The Yashica 124g is a great camera, very light weight with fantastic optics. The 6x6 negatives it produces will blow away any digital SLR you can buy in resolution and tonal quality. It was my first medium format, and I highly recommend it. A friend of mine has a D3x and we compared his shots to the ones I took with the cheap yashica 124g, it wasn't even close--the yashica had about twice the resolution and better dynamic range and gradients.

That said, don't get too hung up on having a meter in your TLR, the non-metered, or broken metered, yashicas are cheaper and just as good IMO. When the meter does work, it's rarely accurate, and the batteries are expensive and need to be taken out when not in use otherwise they'll drain. I prefer a handheld meter, or just guessing exposure (sunny16), there's so much latitude with film that you only need to be in the ballpark.

Thanks everyone.

The Yashica 124g is a great camera, very light weight with fantastic optics. The 6x6 negatives it produces will blow away any digital SLR you can buy in resolution and tonal quality. It was my first medium format, and I highly recommend it. A friend of mine has a D3x and we compared his shots to the ones I took with the cheap yashica 124g, it wasn't even close--the yashica had about twice the resolution and better dynamic range and gradients.

That said, don't get too hung up on having a meter in your TLR, the non-metered, or broken metered, yashicas are cheaper and just as good IMO. When the meter does work, it's rarely accurate, and the batteries are expensive and need to be taken out when not in use otherwise they'll drain. I prefer a handheld meter, or just guessing exposure (sunny16), there's so much latitude with film that you only need to be in the ballpark.

And the running costs of a 6x6 film camera are? I am just back from a six month Caribbean cruise with > 30,000 images. At two Carnivals in Martinique one five days long the other two days long i shot more than 1,000 a day Film has its place for sure but i would find it very very difficult to justify the cost as well as find good labs to process the films never mind the waiting to see the results. Yes a long time ago i did shoot with two motorised Nikon F's with the 250 exp bulk film backs but even then i never shot 250 frames in any one day with two cameras - even sometimes with two photographers.

Medium format is great! however if you're going to be shooting it, you need to send it to a good lab, and the only lab i've found that's up to my standards is Richard Photo Lab. Bummer is, they're hella expensive.

What about a 60D? It's smaller than a 5D or 7D, and you wouldn't have to re buy lenses. If you want a 35mm camera, the EOS 3 is a great body. And with color negative film, don't forget to overexpose a tad!

Well luckily for me I would only have to pay for the cost of printing, as my college has all the darkroom facilities I require and can develop the photos myself. I also have plans to set up my own darkroom in my flat, and I reckon the quality from a medium format TLR will be worth the extra costs for paper, chemicals etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back