getting rid of full frame for better glass and film?

Well first i dont know what age you are even though you say you are going to college.........and i dont know what your long term photographic plans and ambitions are and not trying to put you down here but have you really thought this through. A Meopta Opemus 6 enlarger will cost you £100/150 though i see a colour one on flebay for bids starting at £75 You can probably pick up a 35 mm Opumus for < £10 i might even have one in my moms attic with a decent lens on it:) I better have a look see. Then will you get your film for free and of course are you going to do B&W or Colour? Myself being colour blind i could only dev B&W negs/prints of course colour blindness is passed onto males by their mothers and few females actual have the symptoms only the genetic abnormality. Will you have 24/7 access to your college darkroom or will you have to do your developing and printing to their schedules. Way back in the dark(room) ages i could spend all evening till well past midnight developing just a 36 exp roll of film taking a sheet of contacts then printing ONE or TWO of the best shots - maybe that is the side of photography that interests you but for sure it is very very time consuming - now we have digital life is just too short for these sort of things though for sure i can spend an evening editing digital pictures but i can do that in my lounge or the cabin or cockpit of my yacht or sitting in a nice Caribbean cafe/bar having sundowner editing or just looking at some of 'today's' pictures and not be isolated from my family or friends.

Perhaps you could explain your ambitions in the photographic world then for sure you should get better advice. Also to get a better understanding of where you are coming from i am very interested in where you see 'the worth' to use your words in 6x6 film over 35mm film or even a good DSLR. I really cant see there being a quality issue unless you are going to be doing massive sized prints for sure colour film is quite different from digital but for me and most of the world now the ease of producing digital images far outweighs the hassle of using film except in some extreme cases.

Last edited:
Ok, well my interest in film at the moment is purely personal, which is why I'm so focused on getting the best DSLR for me because it's what I'll be using full time. Being able to have some cash left aside to invest in film is just another pro to swapping. My ambitions professionally lie mainly in travel photography, and I'm also really interested in corporate and events photography as I know a lot about that industry already. Eventually I'd like to have my own studio for portraiture, but I want to get out into the field first. I've been looking into high-end photo-journalism too. I love taking pictures that tell stories, and pictures of culture which can be shared and used to teach others about different parts of the world.

I really do just love the look of photos from TLRs and medium format. I love their sharpness and details, but also the natural look to them. But as I say, film photography is purely a hobby.

Ok Flying I change my 'not bad' comment to 'Good', 'not bad' to me pretty much means good anyway! So thought I'd spell that out! haha.

Great images on your flickr Eslevy, my advice is don't get too caught up in the details. Get your D90 and get some decent lenses as a priority first, as these clearly will be your main photographic tools. That is the crucial point in the matter, worry first about the tools that you really need and use every day. Then put your left over cash into your hobby interest in Film photography.

I have to say, Film is great fun and film still has a less artificial look to it than digital does in my mind. Something organic about film! I had great fun developing film also at college. But at same time, I'm far too lazy to do much film development. Digitial rules in so many ways now to me anyway, purely in the sense that digital just makes life so much easier. But well back to the point, focus on the tool that you will be using every day.

Your work is inspiring, keep it up! Very artistic. :thumbup:

Ok Flying I change my 'not bad' comment to 'Good', 'not bad' to me pretty much means good anyway! So thought I'd spell that out! haha.

Great images on your flickr Eslevy, my advice is don't get too caught up in the details. Get your D90 and get some decent lenses as a priority first, as these clearly will be your main photographic tools. That is the crucial point in the matter, worry first about the tools that you really need and use every day. Then put your left over cash into your hobby interest in Film photography.

I have to say, Film is great fun and film still has a less artificial look to it than digital does in my mind. Something organic about film! I had great fun developing film also at college. But at same time, I'm far too lazy to do much film development. Digitial rules in so many ways now to me anyway, purely in the sense that digital just makes life so much easier. But well back to the point, focus on the tool that you will be using every day.

Forgiven i really did not expect you to be a half empty glass sort of person even though you are from englandshire he he

Ok, well my interest in film at the moment is purely personal, which is why I'm so focused on getting the best DSLR for me because it's what I'll be using full time. Being able to have some cash left aside to invest in film is just another pro to swapping. My ambitions professionally lie mainly in travel photography, and I'm also really interested in corporate and events photography as I know a lot about that industry already. Eventually I'd like to have my own studio for portraiture, but I want to get out into the field first. I've been looking into high-end photo-journalism too. I love taking pictures that tell stories, and pictures of culture which can be shared and used to teach others about different parts of the world.

I really do just love the look of photos from TLRs and medium format. I love their sharpness and details, but also the natural look to them. But as I say, film photography is purely a hobby.

OKIDOKI a lot of my questions were not answered BUT i went back in the thread and discovered your pictures - how i missed that link i dont really know - in haste to get you to FOCUS now there is a good word.

Loved some of your pictures First i need to apologise for thinking you came from Edinborroo BUT here is a big BUT Where are your pictures of Glasgow?? Glasgow is a city with so much to photograph with so many contrasts tis easy to get exotic looking pictures from exotic looking places - lets see what you can do with photographing your own city and then we might be able to see your real photographic eye at work.

I didn't answer the other questions because having immediate and long term access to a darkroom, film etc is not my main priority, my DSLR is. Film would be, as Josh said, a hobby. I would probably spend a couple of hours at the weekend or something developing - or just using a lab - and maybe a roll of film a week at first. The point is it's an interest of mine, and having money left aside to invest in that interest is what matters to me. I have lots of options for darkroom access (my college, StreetLevel Photoworks, my own darkroom) but I would probably only print in B&W (at least if I was doing it myself). I can get discounted - but not free - film and exposure paper.

Yeah, that's my main focus at the moment, and - like you - I just find film fun and interesting, and much more organic. Thanks for the compliments of my flickr stream, really appreciated :D

I've only been in Glasgow for just over 3 weeks, so I've been so busy with moving and sorting my life out again (I just finished a year traveling in Australia, New Zealand and Asia). I haven't been out to specifically photograph Glasgow because I already have so many photos to sort through from my trip! And the more time I get the crapper the weather becomes. Once the rain clears I'll hopefully be able to get some lovely autumn shots of Kelvingrove Park (I live across the road :D). I do have a few nice ones from the 5D though, I just need to find the time to upload them to flickr.

Again, thanks for the help everyone!

Also, 50mm 1.4 or 1.8? And between the 35, 50 and 80mm which two would you guys recommend the most?

Just checked out some more of your pics, and you've clearly got a bit of an eye for angles and light, which is great, keep it up. I'm with Flying, i'd love to see your take on Glasgow. For me it'd be the 50 1.4, however of the 3 you mention i'd go for a 35 and 80.

The 5D was the **** when it came out. It was the first "affordable" FF camera and that's because you got a sensor and a cheap body and for the price now, you either go with the quality fo the 5D or go with a newer camera for the features, but unless you spend the money, you can have FF IQ with newer camera features.

I didn't answer the other questions because having immediate and long term access to a darkroom, film etc is not my main priority, my DSLR is. Film would be, as Josh said, a hobby. I would probably spend a couple of hours at the weekend or something developing - or just using a lab - and maybe a roll of film a week at first. The point is it's an interest of mine, and having money left aside to invest in that interest is what matters to me. I have lots of options for darkroom access (my college, StreetLevel Photoworks, my own darkroom) but I would probably only print in B&W (at least if I was doing it myself). I can get discounted - but not free - film and exposure paper.

Yeah, that's my main focus at the moment, and - like you - I just find film fun and interesting, and much more organic. Thanks for the compliments of my flickr stream, really appreciated :D

I've only been in Glasgow for just over 3 weeks, so I've been so busy with moving and sorting my life out again (I just finished a year traveling in Australia, New Zealand and Asia). I haven't been out to specifically photograph Glasgow because I already have so many photos to sort through from my trip! And the more time I get the crapper the weather becomes. Once the rain clears I'll hopefully be able to get some lovely autumn shots of Kelvingrove Park (I live across the road :D). I do have a few nice ones from the 5D though, I just need to find the time to upload them to flickr.

Again, thanks for the help everyone!

Also, 50mm 1.4 or 1.8? And between the 35, 50 and 80mm which two would you guys recommend the most?

I am not up on Canon lenses BUT i do know a Nikon 50mm 1.4 is around £270 on fleabay and a 50.mm 1.8 can be got for < £75

IF you have the money and since you dont like your 5D i would hold off till you can change to a nice D90 then Nikon DX lenses are as cheap as mince on fleabay.................HOWEVER if you see yourself moving onto a F/F Nikon dont buy DX lenses AND if you are happy with manual focusing and are ok with off the camera metering then the OLD but GOOD Nikkor AS-I lens are not expensive HOWEVER i would look out for bargain Nikkor AF AF-D and AF-S lenses to future proof your kit.

IF you want to and can afford two Cannon lenses and intend keeping that camera for a year or so then go for the 35 and 80mm ones BUT from what i read into what you write your never going to be happy with that camera so swap it out ASAP I know the camera is just a tool - you dont want to be thinking about the camera - just what you can see - so you really need that camera to fit in your hand as well as your head.

Finally get out of the park get into town and see what you can see - look up lots at the amazing buildings - even wander down Buchanan Street. Dr Who left his Tardis there - outside an amazing shop with what must be more than 500 sewing machines decorating the windows and the shop - sadly they go crazy when you photograph the inside of the shop...been thrown out twice now :-( but still got my pictures - sadly they are hiding somewhere on my PC's ATM. Also get into the Necropolis find a nice goth model and have fun in there :)

Thanks for the advice :D Would love to see your pictures of Glasgow! I decided to sell my Canon kit and ordered a nice, cheap, NEW D90 which I will collect tomorrow. The Canon is already in the post to a new owner who will perhaps be able to take full advantage of it, unlike me. I have plenty left over for lenses and accessories now, which I think will really help me more than having the full frame camera, but at the moment I just want to get my hands on the D90...

I think I will start out getting a good 50mm 1.8 and a 35mm 1.8, then invest in a 85mm later in the year. Would love a good telephoto too, but one step at a time eh? ;)

Thanks for your help everyone! I've now officially crossed over to the other side XP

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH welcome to the dark side :)

Cant find any decent pics of Glasgow on my PC's all i can find are some phone pictures and a few from my oly 1030SW

I might post a few later

but busy busy busy just now scanning old negs

IF you can afford it get the 1.4 50mm

have fun

Most reactions

Back