Getting serious, here we go! Photoshoot Tips...

Lynnzora

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok I recently got back into photography. Growing up, I took a couple of classes. Of course it was film... so this digital photography and photoshop is a whole new thing for me to learn. The ISO... Aperture... Rule of Thirds... All new to me! My goal is to have a sucessful photography business on the side. I've started out by offering free photoshoots as practice and to build my resume.

In some cases I even offered $20 in gas money to some quality/experienced models in addition to the free photoshoot. So I have people booked for this friday! I'm sooo nervous and excited. I've been reading my Pentax manual inside and out, etc...

Additional info... I have a Pentax k20d, I'm unfortunately working with the kit lens only for now 18-55mm. I ordered the 50mm 1.4 from Amazon on the 13th and won't get it until the 24th :(. But my photoshoots are this Friday. I'm shooting outside on location at a Park. If you seen my previous post for C&C it's the park where I took those shots.

So questions that I have for those who are experienced in this arena, I'm wondering if you could give me some tips on having a wonderful photoshoot that produces quality images. ;) Things that I should think about, bring with me... Camera settings... Anything you could contribute will help!

Lynn

I didn't mention that I have a practice shoot tomorrow (technically today... looking at the time) with some pre-teens... to get me ready for the photoshoot. I'm a dance teacher and it's with some ladies from my class. Their mother is bringing them.

Any settings will be according to the lighting situation, as its a kit lens I'd be thinking about aperture priority set to around F8 - F11, for sharp images, as wide open kit lens are usually pretty garbage, if its a dull day use fill flash to give the images some "pop" H

Just seen where you live, do you have dull days in SC, try not to shoot midday if its sunny and use fill flash to avoid raccoon eyes.

Being outside means your less likely to have problems with aperture so the kit lens should work fine. As above probably best to run up in the middle of the aperture range but other than that just work mainly on composition. Try to keep the background to the shots clear of clutter.

Any settings will be according to the lighting situation, as its a kit lens I'd be thinking about aperture priority set to around F8 - F11, for sharp images, as wide open kit lens are usually pretty garbage, if its a dull day use fill flash to give the images some "pop" H

Just seen where you live, do you have dull days in SC, try not to shoot midday if its sunny and use fill flash to avoid raccoon eyes.

I'm hoping it will be a nice sunny day. We've had rain the past few days but the forecast says it should clear out by then. What if it's a cloudy day. That's when I should raise the aperture?

I won't have it for this particular shoot but for something like this what lens is ideal. I've chosen 3 male and 3 female models. They will be interacting with each other in the shoot. There will be some group shots and some portraits....

You're lucky to be able to find models so easily!

I tried signing up for Model Mayham... was ignored.

I tried an ad in Craigs List... no response.

I hope things go well and I look forward to seeing your pictures!

I recommend to brainstorm first, and make a list of all the photos and angles you want to shoot. Consider the people and poses. Evaluate possible backdrops and lighting conditions.

It's also wise to read through your camera manual again so you know all the features that your camera offers. You might be surprised to discover a feature that you haven't used for a while or that you had forgotten.

You're lucky to be able to find models so easily!

I tried signing up for Model Mayham... was ignored.

I tried an ad in Craigs List... no response.

I hope things go well and I look forward to seeing your pictures!

try kijiji.com i always find people on their looking for someone to do photos for them

Photography hasn't changed much... All the rules of exposure, DOF, lighting and composition still apply..

The only things that have changed dramatically is the equipment and the ability of the average photographer to "develop" their own photos....

Have a great day and enjoy the shoot.... Don't get too hung up on the technicalities and spoil the outing..

I am thankful that I have no clue what the "rule of thirds" is.

As for the photoshoot - underexpose by a half stop or so, and check your focus and you'll be fine. Especially in natural light. Not a whole lot you need to worry about other than composition and getting your model "into" the action. . .

I'm hoping it will be a nice sunny day. We've had rain the past few days but the forecast says it should clear out by then. What if it's a cloudy day. That's when I should raise the aperture?

Overcast is a lot easier to shot in, nice diffused lighting do you have a reflector they can work wonders outside, if your using flash expose the sky 1 stop under

Well I did my PRACTICE shoot for some of the kids I teach and need your advice to help me do the real shoot tomorrow. The sun was driving me absolutely nuts. Any advise of what to use to diffuse that light. I don't have the money to really go out and purchase much between now and tomorrow... Any advice you have is appreciated. Ok, here's what I shot with the kids. Your advise on how to improve my shots would be appreciated.
Alicia.jpg

Rena2.jpg

Rena1.jpg

#4... For anyone who has done headshots, I'd definitely be interested in finding out how you do your lettering. I kinda winged it... Thank you.
1.jpg

One thing you can try is getting a car windshield reflector. Walmart and places like that will often have them gold on one side silver on the other. You can use them as a cheap version of a reflector to add fill light. They cost about $20 or so. If you have a photo shop that carries them they will cost a little more depending on the size plan on spending about $50 for a decent sized set.

As for the test photos watch your backgrounds the post in the first shot the other girl with the cut off head in the third and the stores and parking lot in the last detract from the shots. Watch your focus if you know how to focus using the focus point of your camera and recompose focus on the eyes and then recompose. Usually this is acomplished by pressing the shutter release about halfway down. I like the composition on most of them other than the things I already mentioned about the background.

Most reactions

Back