Getting serious! Need help!

Janicefrank

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi!

So I've decided I need to purchase a proper camera as my iPhone just isn't doing it for me anymore and I'm more passionate about photography than I thought!

The only problem is I have no idea about cameras and which one to get! I've been researching but still a bit confused! Any info on cameras would be much appreciated!

I'm wanting it for street photography, landscapes and animals!

Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi!

So I've decided I need to purchase a proper camera as my iPhone just isn't doing it for me anymore and I'm more passionate about photography than I thought!

The only problem is I have no idea about cameras and which one to get! I've been researching but still a bit confused! Any info on cameras would be much appreciated!

I'm wanting it for street photography, landscapes and animals!

Thanks guys!

Well to start with a couple of questions - first of course is budget, how much money approximately were you wanting to spend? The second being what sort of pictures you see yourself taking most often and where. Indoors or Outdoors? Are your subjects going to be close or something you can move close too (such as family, kids, pets, landscapes) or are you going to need to be able to zoom in a lot to get decent pictures (such as birds or wildlife).

No budget really, willing to spend the money for the right camera. Mostly photos will be taken outdoors with mostly no zoom but on the odd occasion will require a good zoom otherwise I mostly move closer to the subjects that I am taking a photo of as using my iPhone the zoom was pretty rubbish! It will mostly be landscapes that I will be using it for.

No budget really, willing to spend the money for the right camera. Mostly photos will be taken outdoors with mostly no zoom but on the odd occasion will require a good zoom otherwise I mostly move closer to the subjects that I am taking a photo of as using my iPhone the zoom was pretty rubbish! It will mostly be landscapes that I will be using it for.

Well my starting recommendation then would be either the Nikon D5200 or the Nikon D5300. Both have an outstanding 24 mp sensor and extremely good dynamic range which will be a nice advantage particularly for landscapes. The kit lens should be sufficient for you when you first get started, and you can always decide what sort of lenses you'd like to add later depending on your individual needs.

I'd recommend a good tripod and a remote trigger as well, they are very handy for landscape shots, it will allow you to do longer exposures and still get a nice clean image. I'd also start doing some reading about ND filters, another handy tool for long exposure shots.

Sounds Great! Thanks so much for your help, I will do some research on the ones you have suggested! Do Nikon do the best cameras for that sort of photography? I was reading a photography magazine and they were raving about fujifilm cameras, obviously me having no idea about them researched some more and then they were going on about the Olympus cameras, but never heard anything about Nikon until I came on here and saw lots of people talking about them!

With no budget, the skies the limit.

I would go full frame, in whatever trips your trigger.

No budget really, willing to spend the money for the right camera. ....
As with any hobby you could spend $300 ... or $10,000 ..... so with no budget you are going to get the upper end of that scenario for recommendations.

So really ... what's your budget that you are actually wanting to spend.

On lower end consumer cameras they can be limited in certain situations but are great cameras none-the-less.
For instance .. for moderate distances for zoo shots one could go out and buy a nikon 70-200/2.8 vrii LENS (just the lens) and those go for about $2400 just for the lens. For most people this is sticker shock.

Sounds Great! Thanks so much for your help, I will do some research on the ones you have suggested! Do Nikon do the best cameras for that sort of photography? I was reading a photography magazine and they were raving about fujifilm cameras, obviously me having no idea about them researched some more and then they were going on about the Olympus cameras, but never heard anything about Nikon until I came on here and saw lots of people talking about them!

Well keep in mind I shoot Nikon so consider me a biased source.. lol.

Fuji and Olympus both make fine cameras but neither really has a big market share so the equipment can be harder to come by and you wind up limiting your upgrade options quite a bit.

For still images I think Nikon really is your best bet, the have the best combination of dynamic range and image quality.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

Thanks so much! I appreciate it, even if you are a biased source haha a helpful source none the less!

Will definitely be looking into the options you put down! :)

Thanks so much! I appreciate it, even if you are a biased source haha a helpful source none the less!

Will definitely be looking into the options you put down! :)

I shoot the d5200 myself, plenty of sample shots in my flickr account to give you a basic idea if the dynamic range.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/101097886@N03/

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

Also think about size. We jumped on the dSLR bandwagon but you may want something that fits nicely in your pocket, or your purse or something that you can just grab and go and isn't very intrusive. There's alot of options of all sizes out there.

I nearly bought a FujiFilm camera a few years ago .. but after looking at all the things I was going to use it for and how I was going to use it, I ended up with a dSLR. I had to streeeeeetch my budget to get to it but I got what I needed and I haven't looked back. I've been enjoying it ever since.

Canon T3i or Nikon D3200 are the lowest cost entry d-slrs. There are higher-spec'd models, like the new Canon T5i and the Nikon D3300.

Then there is the "next class up", like the new, current Nikon D7100, which is a nice camera with a high-resolution sensor and a roughly $1199 price point, but is allllll the camera many people would need for the next decade. This is the "top of the heap" in consumer APS-C cameras, along with the new Canon 70D. These $1199 bodies have all the features most people will ever need for most situations, most of the time, world wide; that is why Nikon and Canon make these cameras EXACTLY the way they DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are also entry-level full-frame cams like Nikon D610 and Canon 6D for wealthier enthusiasts who can afford $2k for a body + 1,500 for lenses.

You need a BUDGET to buy a camera. Well, or a big CC limit.

You could look at manufacturers' websites to see what's available in various categories such as point 'n shoot, mirrorless, full frame. If you went to stores that have cameras on display you could get a feel for how a particular camera handles, if it feels comfortable to use. That could help narrow down choices.

If you're going from using your phone to wanting a camera to use as a hobby you might either consider used or something that's more entry level than professional; then if you stay with photography in time you might want to upgrade and keep the one you buy now as a spare or sell/trade-in. It might be a big jump from a phone to a DSLR til you see how you like and use a camera.

Most reactions

Back