Getting serious! Need help!

Thanks everyone for your help! It's been so useful this last 24 hours! I finally have an idea on cameras and what to do :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And whatever you decide you are going to buy, take the time to learn it well -- and oh, any camera, like software have a long learning curve, so whatever you choose comes with free exhilaration then frustration, then joy, then frustration until the AHA! moment creeps in.:mrgreen: Careful of this last one -- it will bring you to addiction faster than your heart beat and before you know it, you will turn yourself into the monster-of-its-own-making wanting accessories and lens and filters and tripods and clamps and speedlights and umbrellas.......ad infinitum.........:confused:

Personally I would never use a DSLR for street photography people spot you a mile off, also with a crop sensor if you get in as close as me you can't get lenses wide enough, I use film Leica rangefinders and Sony A7 virtual given up with my DSLR's, I can fit more lenses to my A7 than you will ever on a Nikon DSLR

No budget really, willing to spend the money for the right camera. Mostly photos will be taken outdoors with mostly no zoom but on the odd occasion will require a good zoom otherwise I mostly move closer to the subjects that I am taking a photo of as using my iPhone the zoom was pretty rubbish! It will mostly be landscapes that I will be using it for.

Well my starting recommendation then would be either the Nikon D5200 or the Nikon D5300. Both have an outstanding 24 mp sensor and extremely good dynamic range which will be a nice advantage particularly for landscapes. The kit lens should be sufficient for you when you first get started, and you can always decide what sort of lenses you'd like to add later depending on your individual needs.

I'd recommend a good tripod and a remote trigger as well, they are very handy for landscape shots, it will allow you to do longer exposures and still get a nice clean image. I'd also start doing some reading about ND filters, another handy tool for long exposure shots.

I'm going to second these recommendations.

1. Yes, you could get a better camera. But not to sound condescending...but for someone who is using a camera phone now, plunking down several thousand bucks for a professional grade camera (with the weight and size to match) could be a waste of your money. A D5200 or D5300 is not too expensive in-case you decide this was a mistake. Plus it will do what you've said you want it to do.

2. Something that wasn't mentioned is that the D5200 and D5300 are smaller and lighter than other comparable DSLRs. This is b/c the rely on the lens to have an autofocus motor (most modern lens do). So if you're not used to lugging a DSLR around OR you have small hands or you don't have great upper body strength, a lighter and smaller body is a plus. B/c the best camera is the one you have with you. If it's a hassle to lug around, you won't have it with you so you'll end up shooting...with your iPhone.

3. You said you shoot landscapes. So here are some additional things you're likely going to want to get:
--a neutral density filter or a graduated neutral density filter. These are useful when you're shooting in to the sun (like a sunset/sunrise on the beach) or when you're doing a long exposure in order to blur moving water (like with a waterfall or creek).
--a circular polarizer to go on the end of your lens. A circular polarizer reduces glare and will make your clouds and sky pop. It's also good for shooting fall foliage.
--a tripod. If you get in to landscape photography, at some point you're going to start shooting during the "blue hour" (that's after the sun goes down and the move vibrant colors come out in to the sky). And for stuff like that (or to do selfies of you and the family in front of the Grand Canyon), you'll want a tripod to mount the camera on. They're a hassle to lug around so just keep it in the trunk of your car and pull it out when you're going on a hike or stop where you know you'll need it.
--a good landscape lens. Generally speaking, you want a wide angle lens of sorts (in order to get a vista in). Nikon makes a 35mm DX f1.8 lens. Very sharp, light, small, and inexpensive. Now, if you're going to shoot wildlife, then you'll want a zoom (and probably going out to at least 200mm) b/c that Eagle or Moose isn't going to stand still while you get 100 feet closer.

One good thing about photography is that there are plenty of gear junkies out there constantly looking to "upgrade" to the next best thing (i'm just as guilty as the next in doing this). As such, there are very good buys to be had on the used market...there are plenty of places (Adorama, Unique, etc...) that stock quality used stuff. eBay is always an option but be careful not to buy someone elses headache.

best of luck....

jj

One good thing about photography is that there are plenty of gear junkies out there constantly looking to "upgrade" to the next best thing (i'm just as guilty as the next in doing this). As such, there are very good buys to be had on the used market...there are plenty of places (Adorama, Unique, etc...) that stock quality used stuff. eBay is always an option but be careful not to buy someone elses headache.

best of luck....

jj

Hey now.. I am not a junkie. I am an aficionado. Junkie. Sheesh. Seriously.. i mean do you.. hey.. wait.. where's my camera. Damn.. just had it here a second ago.. where is it.. Jeez! Oh.. whew.. there it is. Though I lost it for a moment. It was this close to being out of arms reach. Wow. Scary stuff.

Ok, so sorry, what were we talking about again?

Lol

Hey now.. I am not a junkie. I am an aficionado. Junkie. Sheesh. Seriously.. i mean do you.. hey.. wait.. where's my camera. Damn.. just had it here a second ago.. where is it.. Jeez! Oh.. whew.. there it is. Though I lost it for a moment. It was this close to being out of arms reach. Wow. Scary stuff.

Lol

How can you be a junkie you shoot with a D5200 bottom of the pile

Lol

Hey!

What about us guys still shooting with a D3200?

gsgary said:

It's always easy to spot a gear snob...the little round Leica "red dot" brand logos their cameras have on the front give them away so,so fast...

Hi!
So I've decided I need to purchase a proper camera as my iPhone just isn't doing it for me anymore and I'm more passionate about photography than I thought!
The only problem is I have no idea about cameras and which one to get! I've been researching but still a bit confused! Any info on cameras would be much appreciated!

If I said that just playing my harmonica just wasn't good enough and I realized I love music and decided to buy a very expensive piano, what would your response be?

Somewhere along the lines of: 'perhaps you should rent one or buy a used one. In any case, don't jump into this with lots of money and expectations before you decide that you can do it and are willing to put in the work to do it right and that you actually do have some ability.'

gsgary said:

It's always easy to spot a gear snob...the little round Leica "red dot" brand logos their cameras have on the front give them away so,so fast...

black tape on it for street photography, only 1 of mine has the red dot

Hi!
So I've decided I need to purchase a proper camera as my iPhone just isn't doing it for me anymore and I'm more passionate about photography than I thought!
The only problem is I have no idea about cameras and which one to get! I've been researching but still a bit confused! Any info on cameras would be much appreciated!

If I said that just playing my harmonica just wasn't good enough and I realized I love music and decided to buy a very expensive piano, what would your response be?

Somewhere along the lines of: 'perhaps you should rent one or buy a used one. In any case, don't jump into this with lots of money and expectations before you decide that you can do it and are willing to put in the work to do it right and that you actually do have some ability.'

i would say get a Steinway

What about us guys still shooting with a D3200?

Personally I wouldn't worry about it at all. If your getting the kind of images you like, who really cares if some random voice on the internet feels the need to belittle you for not spending as much money on gear as they did.

Lol.. important safety tip. Thanks Egon!

Hi!

I appreciate everyone's opinions in me going from a phone to actually purchasing a proper camera. However just because I have been using my phone does not mean I havnt had legit cameras in the past. I have the time, the ability and the want to do it right. I have been taking landscape photos for years just on a lumix which did break and so I have been using my phone in the last year and have decided the time has come to purchase something proper.

Nikon 800e with Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 would be a nice starting point. Then add Nikon 14-24mm 2.8 and Nikon 70-200 vrii 2.8 with it or in the future.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back