getting started

Shellie17

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I am wanting to get my wedding photography business started. I am new to the actual business side of it. I have previously only shot on the side and for small amounts of money or for free. I now want to have the real deal and I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on good books or articles to read that will help me get started. I am looking for work as a second shooter to get my foot in the door and build my portfolio. Other then that I am overwhelmed with where to start.

While Wedding Photography for Dummies might be somewhat helpful I am looking for sound advise and something a bit more in depth.

I have been scowering the net for any guidelines or advise I could find.

Thanks for the feedback!
~Shellie

My best advice would be to look online or a phone book for wedding photography studios or a persons wedding photography business and maybe talk to them about being a second shooter or just shadowing their shooter to get a feel for it.

This is a good book: Digital Wedding Photography: Capturing Beautiful Memories by Glen Johnson

I believe John Hedgcoe has a wedding photography book, among many others.

Thank you Patrice! I'm glad you find me helpful. That's my goal. :blushing:

Second shooting is the way to go, imo. Some people can learn from books, but I'm a more visual person. I learn lots more from watching, and trying what I've seen.

Find a shooter in your area, whos work you enjoy. (Maybe not your local rockstar just yet). Give them a shout and let them know that you are willing to work for experience. Later, once you have a repore, you can see if they might be willing to let you use the images as well. You might luck out completely, and get someone who gives you all of the above and a few bucks to boot.

When you write this person (better yet several), let them know that you have shot in the past, what equipment you have, and your availability. Leave the letter pretty short, and see who you hook.

Second shooting is also great because you get real world experience, with none of the headaches. You won't have to deal with the details, brides gone wild, or post production work. Another good thing is you don't normally have to do it for long, however some people like it so much they make a career of it.

Good luck in your endevor!

I agree with Elsaspet the only way to learn wedding photography is to do weddings. There is way too much that can go wrong for yo uto learn it from a book. Unless you have REALLY good insureance and a good lawyer you need to work with or for someone for a while to get your feet wet. It is great experience to go out shooting a wedding when someone else is willing to take the liability of your own screw-up. I am not saying you will make a mistake but if you do be ready for a bigtime lawsuit and it would really stink for you to invest all kinds of money in getting started in wedding photography and have someone else take it away form you the first time out because you were not prepared.

I completely agree with the previous two posters - however, a combination of both is wonderful. I can't imagine how out of place I would have been first second shooting with no idea what to expect (that might have something to do with the fact that the last time I was involved in a wedding was as a flower girl at 3 years of age and the atrocious memory of bawling the whole way down the aisle. ugh)

I completely agree with the previous two posters - however, a combination of both is wonderful. I can't imagine how out of place I would have been first second shooting with no idea what to expect (that might have something to do with the fact that the last time I was involved in a wedding was as a flower girl at 3 years of age and the atrocious memory of bawling the whole way down the aisle. ugh)
Oh of course along with shooting for/with others I read every book I could aford to buy and when I couldn't afford anymore books I went to the library and read everything they had.

Most reactions

Back