gfd

I'm thinking of selling my Canon EOS 5, which is the European version of the A2e. It's one hell of a camera. The EOS5/A2's are considered semi-pro. Many pros use them as back-up cameras, and quite a few use them as their main one when starting out or on a budget. I saw no need to upgrade to one of the pro cameras, myself. It did everything I wanted. The only reason I'm selling it is I went digital with the 10D and I've recently run into a tight money situation. Otherwise I'd keep it in case something went wrong with the 10D.

I don't know how much you use flash, but if you think you need a higher sync, I sure wouldn't change brands to get it.

I have a question, why do you need a higher flash sync? Haven't found anything to go higher than 1/90 of me EOS 500N I have a speedlight 320 (I think lol, can't remember) flash. logic would tell me to use it to stop action, but what kind? sorry to highjack the thread.

I use an A2 and it's a great camera. If you are going for an A2 be sure the command dial is functioning smoothly. They apparently are prone to breaking. (Haven't had a problem with mine)

Cuervo79 said:
I have a question, why do you need a higher flash sync? Haven't found anything to go higher than 1/90 of me EOS 500N I have a speedlight 320 (I think lol, can't remember) flash. logic would tell me to use it to stop action, but what kind? sorry to highjack the thread.

Higher flash sync speed allows you to use fill flash outside to take the shadows from under the eyes, etc, without having to stop down to f/32 or whatever. There are probably hundreds of other uses, but that's the first one that popped into my head.

markc said:
I'm thinking of selling my Canon EOS 5, which is the European version of the A2e. It's one hell of a camera. The EOS5/A2's are considered semi-pro. Many pros use them as back-up cameras, and quite a few use them as their main one when starting out or on a budget. I saw no need to upgrade to one of the pro cameras, myself. It did everything I wanted. The only reason I'm selling it is I went digital with the 10D and I've recently run into a tight money situation. Otherwise I'd keep it in case something went wrong with the 10D.

Just a thought, whats the difference between a $400 Slr camera nad a $4000 film SLR camera? Whats so pro about the pro ones? Perhaps a bit better quality of glass to get sharper pictures, perhaps faster motors to focus faster and take more pictures ina row, but what really makes the pro cameras worth the $$$$$$$? isnt most of it the man behind the camera and not the camera itself?

GerryDavid said:
Whats so pro about the pro ones?
Good question. Let's compare a few cameras in the Canon line.

There are the obvious specs like frame rate. The Elan 7e gets 4 fps, the A2e (and EOS-5) has 5fps, and the EOS-1V can get up to 10fps with add-ons.

Flash sync is 1/125 on the Elan, 1/200 on the A2e, and 1/250 on the 1V.

The Elan has a top shutter speed of 1/4000, while the A2e and 1V have 1/8000.

The A2e and 1V have DOF preview. I don't think the Elan does.

How much of the frame the viewfinder shows is something people don't often think about, but is what sets the pro cameras apart. The consumer level cameras do not show the entire image that will appear on the negative. The Elan only shows 91% of the actual frame in the viewfinder. (This is about average for consumer cameras.) The A2e shows 94%, and the 1V shows a full 100%.

The focusing screen on the Elan is fixed, but can be swapped out in the A2e and 1V. The 1V has nine different ones to choose from.

The higher the level the camera, the more sturdy it will be, and it will have better seals to keep out grit and moisture.

There's a bunch more, like how the cameras determine exposure and focus, but this gives an idea. (Things like glass and focus speed is determined more by the lens.) Some features will be important to some people but not others. You just have to figure out if the extra ease is worth the price. The high shutter speed is the only thing I can think of that would let a high-level camera take a picture that a low-level camera couldn't. The rest of it mostly deals with making the photographers job easier and the sturdiness of the camera.

Good post marc. You forgot to mention a few things...

The focusing system on high end cameras have more advanced features like 45 point AF. I think there is some sort or predictive AF as well.

The metering system, pro cameras have more zones as well as a spot meter rather than just center weighted.

Higher end cameras also have custom functions. I'm not too familiar with them but you can change the functions of the buttons to suit your needs and some other stuff. Mirror lock up is an option on more expensive cameras as well.

Pro cameras also have more durable parts like longer lasting shutters.

For a photo journalist, a pro body is a huge asset because of the build quality. Pro bodies are water resistant and dust proof. They have magnesium alloy parts rather than plastic.

Along with the viewfinder size, pro cameras will have a penta-prism rather than just a penta-mirror. I believe this results in a brighter viewfinder image.

Does all of that justify the cost of a pro body? That's up to the photographer.

Most people will agree that money is better spent on good lenses than good bodies.

drlynn said:
Higher flash sync speed allows you to use fill flash outside to take the shadows from under the eyes, etc, without having to stop down to f/32 or whatever. There are probably hundreds of other uses, but that's the first one that popped into my head.

Ok I get that but when you have a dedicated flash like the speed like series, it has an option to go over the sync speed to use fill flash. So anything else that you would need a higher sync rate?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back