GH5 with Pana Leica 50mm f/1.2? Bokeh?

DylanDC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I need some help!

So I'm planning on buying the GH5 in a couple of weeks.

I'm just not sure what lens to get. I do exactly know how I want my footage to look like, so I'm asking the more advanced people in this field (you guys) for some advice.

So, take this guy: '' YouTube Video (10s) ''

(just watch 10sec's or something if you can and you'll know what I want)

So, I want to achieve the exact same bokeh as him. I just love it. He said a couple video's back that he uses the sigma art lenses (35mm and 50mm). So I could just buy the same thing but he uses a full frame camera and If I'm right, a FF camera gives more bokeh then I would get if I bought this lens with my GH 5 right? I also don't want to buy a adapter and everything, I just want to keep it easy.

So I found the Panasonic Leica 42.5mm f/1.2, which everyone loves I noticed. (The price not so much tho lol)

1) So my question, will I be able to get the same amount of bokeh (or more) as the guy in the video if I use a Pana Leica 42.5mm f1.2 on my GH5? Or what do you guys think?

2) Also, If I'm going to shoot in daylight I probably need an ND filter so I can shoot in f/1.2 all day, right? Do you guys happen to know any good (resonable priced) ND filters that will fit on the pana leica 42.5mm? (If i'm going to buy this lens ofc)

It would mean a lot if you guys could answer these 2 questions! I'm going to travel soon and I need everything ready, so I'm trying to read and learn as much as possible but I'm running a little out of time here so I'm trying a little shortcut via this way!

Thanks in advance guys!!

I'm really not seeing 'bokeh'. I'm just seeing an OOF background.

Pretty much any lens, properly used, can give you an OOF background.

Pretty much any lens, properly used, can give you an OOF background.
Ofc, I know that. But I said that I wanted the same amount of blur as in that video, and not EVERY lens can do that.
Guess I'm just waiting for someone to respond who has the Pana leica 50mm f1.2 himself, so he can tell me if it's possible to produce the same amount of OOF background as in that guys video. :)

Well, we can't really quantify exactly how it was produced as we would need detailed specifics. Mainly, the lens, the focus distance and aperture used.

But I'd say you'd have to problems replicating that 'look'. It will just take some trial & error to find the sweet spot.

A larger-format capture size will give MORE defocus for every single picture angle (angle of view, field of view angle, however you want to say it). SMALLER capture format cameras require exceptionally short lenses to get wide-angle images.

I beleive in his video that you are seeing semi-wide-angle images shot with "normal" length lenses...getting this same semi-wide-angle picture angle of view AND such shallow DOF is going to be impossible with a 42.5mm lens and such a small capture format. Your 42.5mm lens will be "fast", at f/1.2 max aperture value YES, but you'll have a 2x FOV crop...you will NOT be able to show interiors like the kitchen with a 42.5mm lens on the Panasonic camera.

That lens is however, a known solid performing lens, and highly thought of.

Last edited:
Roughly you will need half the focal length and half the f-stop. 17mm and 25mm.

2) Also, If I'm going to shoot in daylight I probably need an ND filter so I can shoot in f/1.2 all day, right? Do you guys happen to know any good (resonable priced) ND filters that will fit on the pana leica 42.5mm? (If i'm going to buy this lens ofc)
With an overly-wide aperture, you should be able to get a good exposure by increasing the shutter speed. I am not familiar with that camera's shutter speed or video capability, so an ND filter might be required. You'll need to do some testing when you get your camera.

The other concern is whether you actually really want such a narrow DOF. A narrow DOF makes for touchy focusing.

With an overly-wide aperture, you should be able to get a good exposure by increasing the shutter speed. I am not familiar with that camera's shutter speed or video capability, so an ND filter might be required. You'll need to do some testing when you get your camera.

The other concern is whether you actually really want such a narrow DOF. A narrow DOF makes for touchy focusing.
Ty for the comment.
The thing is, most people say for the most 'cinematic look' you should put your shutter speed at 2x your fps, so if i shoot in 60fps I should put my shutter on 1/120.
So with that in mind I couldn't really change my shutter so I would for sure need an ND filter. What are the things that I need to keep in mind when I look for an ND filter for this lens?

And yes, I really want that kind of DOF :) But I understand what you mean.
Ty again!

Hi, I need some help!

Bokeh?

Thanks in advance guys!!
You are asking about depth-0f-field (DoF), not bokeh.
The 2 are often confused as being the same thing - but they aren't.

Depth of field is adjustable.
How shallow or deep the DoF is depends on image sensor size, point of focus distance, lens focal length and lens aperture. In the video linked to we can see the DoF change as the point of focus distance changes.
Fast, lenses set to a close point of focus distance deliver a shallow DoF, but as lens focal length gets shorter it gets harder to achieve a shallow DoF.

Bokeh is not adjustable.
Bokeh is a fixed, aesthetic lens quality imparted to out of focus (OOF) areas of a photograph.
The aesthetic quality of the bokeh each make/model of lens produces is dependent on the lens construction - the glass elements used, the shape & number of the lens aperture blades, light baffling (if any) in the lens, and more.

In general the most pleasing bokeh aesthetic is very smooth and while pleasing is not really noticeable if it's not being looked for. It is often called 'cream cheese' bokeh when there are no specular light sources in the background.
With specular light sources in the background very smooth bokeh renders each light source as a very round and extended blob of light, as i s known as 'Hollywood' bokeh.

Last edited:
What are the things that I need to keep in mind when I look for an ND filter for this lens?
Quality. Don't get a cheap one in an attempt to save money, because you'll eventually need to buy a better one. Look for reviews online. Buy a good brand.

........... Buy a good brand.

B+W, Tiffen, Cokin, Lee, Singh-Ray........
Thankyou. Will look for that. One more question.
What mm do i need to look for? the Panasonic 42,5mm F/1.2 is 42.5mm so which ND filter mm do I need? 42? 43? Can you even buy those?
Ty in advance

Most reactions

Back