Giant sea turtle

Heitz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.heitz.org
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Caught this snorkeling in Mexico. Used the Nikonos V. Have to thank cgipson1 who suggested this camera. Thanks, Charlie!

It was my first time using film, and I'm not that happy with the grain I'm seeing at ISO 400. Perhaps the film I chose was crap.

Edit: I just checked: it was Fujifilm Superia X-TRA 400

9335713617_19e26deb2f_b.jpg

Caught this snorkeling in Mexico. Used the Nikonos V. Have to thank cgipson1 who suggested this camera. Thanks, Charlie!

It was my first time using film, and I'm not that happy with the grain I'm seeing at ISO 400. Perhaps the film I chose was crap.

Nice!! Glad you are liking that Nikonos! I used to shoot mostly ektachrome 64 or 100 in my old nikonos... but without flash, you definitely need 400. Interesting shot of the turtle! What were the settings you used (shutter, aperture?)

Nice!! Glad you are liking that Nikonos! I used to shoot mostly ektachrome 64 or 100 in my old nikonos... but without flash, you definitely need 400. Interesting shot of the turtle! What were the settings you used (shutter, aperture?)

Well, I'm going by memory, but I was generally letting the camera meter the shutter. I set my aperture to between f/5.6 and f/11 as long as the meter was consistently faster than 1/100. This was a decently bright day, so I think many of these turtle shots were at around 1/500. It sure is strange having to set the aperture manually, then estimate the distances, but I was surprised to find that most of my shots came out sharp.

Well, I'm going by memory, but I was generally letting the camera meter the shutter. I set my aperture to between f/5.6 and f/11 as long as the meter was consistently faster than 1/100. This was a decently bright day, so I think many of these turtle shots were at around 1/500. It sure is strange having to set the aperture manually, then estimate the distances, but I was surprised to find that most of my shots came out sharp.

Takes a little getting used do... but you rocked it! Would love to see some others!

Great results! I'm tempted to buy a Nikonos now...

They're not expensive. I picked up the body, a 28mm and 35mm lens, extra O-rings and O-ring grease, for ~$150.00.

Yea.. used ones are fairly inexpensive, and fun to play with. I seriously considered getting back into UW film... but decided to stay digital for Underwater from now on.

Very cool shots. I leave for Mexico on Friday. I am soooo excited for my underwater adventures!

Very cool shots. I leave for Mexico on Friday. I am soooo excited for my underwater adventures!
I love Mexico. You'll have a great time! Try to do your snorkeling as early as possible.
Where were you at in Mexico? Early? Do you mean like earliest in the morning?

I love Mexico. You'll have a great time! Try to do your snorkeling as early as possible.

Yea.. Mexico is great... love the water, and the people are usually so nice! Where you going, Kathy?

Yea.. Mexico is great... love the water, and the people are usually so nice! Where you going, Kathy?
Riviera Maya.

Just got back from Riviera Maya! The turtle pics I just posted are from Akumal, about 1 hr south of Cancun. I also recently posted some pictures of the milky way galaxy; those were taken on the beach near Tulum. I've been to Riviera Maya a few times, so let me know if you have any questions!

Most reactions

Back