GIMP subforum?

Installing Python scripts is a little easier in Linux, since you don't have to worry about installing Python (Python ships with most, if not all, Linux distributions). This should be exactly the same on a Mac, except that I don't think Mac comes with Python on it, so you'll have to install that first.

The first step is to download the script you want to install... The GIMP Plugin Registry is a good place to find plug-ins...

Now, Python scripts end in .py - you might notice that a lot of the scripts you can download end in .txt or .py.txt... All you have to do is change the file name to make it end in .py.

Now, you have to make the file executable. To do this, just right click on it and check off the 'make executable' box under the Permissions tab.

Now, you just have to put that file into the plug-ins folder for GIMP. If you don't know where that is, start GIMP. Go to Edit -> Preferences. Expand the 'Folders' section, then find the plug-ins option. Click on that and it will tell you where the folder is. There are probably two folders (it doesn't matter which one you put the file in, but if you want it to be available to all users, you should put it in the one that starts /usr/share/... NOT the one that starts /home/yourname/...).

You can't just drag and drop the file into the folder (you don't have permission), so you have to do it as root. That is easily done in the Terminal on Mac and Linux. Take note of where the file is now, and where you want to move it to...

Open a terminal and type in the following: sudo mv /home/username/folder_you_put_the_script_in/script.py /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins
(Obviously, you'll need to change the location and file name to match whatever it is on your computer.)
Then press Enter, then enter your password. That's it. Next time you start GIMP the new script should be ready to use.

Script-Fu scripts are pretty much the same, except you put them in the Scripts folder, and you don't have to make them executable.

Dave- just fyi, GIMP is not capable of producing true HDR images. That requires 16 bit depth, GIMP is only 8. You can do tonemapping though.

jowensphoto said:
Dave- yes, when you are in curves, if you click the + next to the presets drop down, you can save the existing curves to use again later.

Josh- what was the last script you installed? Was it that Python xpro? LOL! The instructions said it would be under filters --> Generic -->xpro. It wasn't, so I assumed the install failed (that was like 3 weeks ago, right?). Just yesterday I realized that it has it's own menu. Honestly, it wasn't worth installing. The way I used gave much more control over the final image.

Isn't there a photoshop challenge subforum? Heck, I'd go for a GIMP challenge one... would still be a great way to toss ideas around and figure the program out.

Really excited to see this took off last night; does anyone know how many people we need to be on board to get this started? If any Mods are reading, please let us know :)

Thanks
I have been saving some curves, but with 100 or so photos to open, apply, and save each one, it is pretty slow. I was hoping there would be away to apply a saved curve over all the photos at once.

I'm +1 for a GIMP sub forum.

What OS are you running?

This is one of those things that are easier to do in the terminal. I don't know of a GUI way to do it, but it can be done from the command line.

Basically, EVERYTHING that can be done on the computer through the GUI can also be done through the terminal. Sometimes the terminal is easier/faster. And there are some things that can only be done from the terminal...

This explains how to do it:
GIMP - Batch Mode

That probably looks pretty alien to you though. :lol:

I think you could enter those scripts into the Script-Fu console instead of the terminal...
6796633429_e752e1b138_o.png

6796634545_d3191c07bb_o.png

There is also a plug-in that does it:
DBP - David's Batch Processor

6796632631_82015bdff8_o.png

6796634299_6a269469e6_o.png

I don't batch process much, but that plug-in is probably what you're looking for.

Dave- just fyi, GIMP is not capable of producing true HDR images. That requires 16 bit depth, GIMP is only 8. You can do tonemapping though.
It should have it in version 3.0, whenever that's going to come out... (They're working on 2.8 now.)
GIMP - Documentation

O|||||||O said:
What OS are you running?

This is one of those things that are easier to do in the terminal. I don't know of a GUI way to do it, but it can be done from the command line.

Basically, EVERYTHING that can be done on the computer through the GUI can also be done through the terminal. Sometimes the terminal is easier/faster. And there are some things that can only be done from the terminal...

This explains how to do it:
GIMP - Batch Mode

That probably looks pretty alien to you though. :lol:

I think you could enter those scripts into the Script-Fu console instead of the terminal...

There is also a plug-in that does it:
DBP - David's Batch Processor

I don't batch process much, but that plug-in is probably what you're looking for.

Thanks.
I'm running win7 (64 bit)

I look into those links. I've got LOTS of learning to do.

Totes trying to stay away from becoming a GIMP fangirl... but seriously, from what I just read, the new version will be sick.

I have a dream that one day GIMP will render PS utterly pointless.

OUCH! My head hurts.

I decided to add the Resynthesizer(content aware fill) plug in which requires "python stuff" installed with gimp.

After several hours I have succeeded. There are several methods for the "python stuff" but this is the only one that worked for me. (Boy do I wish I found this link first.)
The Gimp: Adding Python Support in Windows
FYI I have win7 64 bit

Most reactions

New Topics

Back