Gimp users, looking for some tips for portraits, example included.

Tulsa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I feel like I am limited in my abilities in GIMP2. I realize there are endless posibilities with PS, but GIMP is the tool for now.

Here is the original out of the camera, followed by my PP version

7B8B7973-1.jpg

7B8B7973.jpg

I sharpened and adjusted curves, pretty basic. Is there anything else I could do? I would love to see your take, and what you did.
If there are photoshop people looking too, I would love to see what I am missing with PS if you do not mind taking a stab at it.

Are you trying to save a rather underexposed OOF image?

You think its underexposed?

No, I don't think so.

I looked at the second, larger image's histogram...it seems to be underexposed by 1.7 stops, give or take...

I looked at the second, larger image's histogram...it seems to be underexposed by 1.7 stops, give or take...

hmm, well there you have it!

Any Gimpers out there?

hmm, well there you have it!

Any Gimpers out there?

I use digiKam and GIMP in Linux. I did the following using digiKam, and the reproduced in GIMP.

885760111_6TW7T-L.jpg

Adjusted curves, then gamma, tweaked contrast, and decreased saturation. Then sharpened. Nothing too fancy.

I use GIMP. But only for certain things. I mainly use Digikam at the moment.

This image is underexposed and OoF though, not a lot can be done without messing it up more.

MHO

*EDIT* Wow, well that was a nice coincidence. Nice job too Sleist.

I use digiKam and GIMP in Linux. I did the following using digiKam, and the reproduced in GIMP.

885760111_6TW7T-L.jpg

Adjusted curves, then gamma, tweaked contrast, and decreased saturation. Then sharpened. Nothing too fancy.

Ouch.

I use GIMP. But only for certain things. I mainly use Digikam at the moment.

This image is underexposed and OoF though, not a lot can be done without messing it up more.

It must be time for an eye appointment, It looks focused to me:confused:...

I guess to get the style of shot I am going for here, I need to work a bit more. Trying to keep it the background dark and subject correctly exposed. Like I have said before, I am new to portraits, so I am trying to get it down... slowly.

I used to use gimp until i purchased ps elements cause thankfully it is very affordable....so I can't tell you how to do certain things in gimp....what i can tell you is what i did in ps...the photo unfortunately was pretty darn OOF but I used the unsharp mask to try and get it somewhat focused...I lightened the pic...then i reduced the noise a little...i then just darkened the background to get rid of the wrinkles that show through....
Now, as far as her pose...since you are new to portraits....I would suggest not having your subject do that pose while you are facing the person square on. Her shoulders look HUGE cause they are bulging due to her pose. That pose would have worked if you were shooting her from the side or at an angle and she was doing a cute little head turn towards the camera while she is leaning back. Girls do not like to see any part of their bodies looking bigger than they are.

7B8B7973-1-2.jpg

Sorry if that came out wrong. I was just trying to say that it would not be too involved - mainly becuase I don't know enough to to do anything more involved.

Wasn't trying to be a jerk - I guess it just comes naturally. ;)

As you can see by the edits, the shot wasn't taken well enough in the first place.
No disrespect to the editors, but the image isn't really usable, you cannot fix up such an underexposed and OOF shot to look good.

Most reactions

Back