Gimp...

Raw photographer

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I know alot of people use Lightroom and/or Photoshop and that that works great. In fact I wish that I had at least one of the two. I am an amateur photographer and I am on a tight budget so I didn't bother purchasing Photoshop or Lightroom. Instead I looked around for a free alternative, and that's when I found Gimp. So I downloaded it, watched a few tutorials on how to use it and after editing the a couple images I fell in love with it. I use it to this day and it works fine for me. So I was wondering if any of you use Gimp here and how do you like it. If you don't use Gimp I'd love to hear what editing software you use.

P.s I couldn't find an editing section to post this in.

Thanks.

As someone also on a limited budget, I have Gimp loaded onto my home machine.

There are limitations but for all intensive purposes, Gimp like many other such open source software is typically about 3-5 years or versions behind the big guys.

There are exceptions to the rule and obviously many differences.
but simply because it doesn't have a name brand doesn't mean it cannot work.

I’m using paint.net but it strips the data from my TIFs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raw files only for me and so that negates GIMP which is a pixel editor. I do the best I can to avoid using pixel editors as I want my workflow to be as close as possible to 100% non-destructive and non-linearly re-editable. If I were on a budget then I'd opt to work with DarkTable.

Joe

I use other apps for the heavy lifting when it comes to editing raw files, but GIMP is more than what I need to polish them off.

I use darktable because it's non-destructive. I used to Elements a lot but darktable has pretty much replaced it. Pretty good learning curve if you're going from a pixel editor to it but tutorials will show the way. I've used GIMP to design some board game cards though. It's a very powerful app.

I use Adobe DNG Converter and Adobe's Lightroom nowadays, and have for several years. I have used Fuji EX Converter, Silkypix, MacBibble, Photoshop 2.5, 4.0, and 5.0, Nikon Capture 1.0-4.1, Canon's DPP, and maybe another app. or two in the past 29 years. Lightroom has been my Main editor since 2013.

Years ago, raw file converters were few; at first Nikon's earliest .NEF file was un-readable by Photoshop, and Nikon Capture 1.0 was needed.

Fuji's .RAF file was for a while, un-readable by MOST apps..

These days, converting exotic or newly-developed raw file formats using Adobe DNG Converter is a work-around to create what could be considered a "universal raw format", openable by many,many applications.

Last edited:
Krita is far better than Gimp. I honestly don’t know why people even use Gimp.

Photoline32 is another option, I haven’t used it for some time, but it has some very functional capabilities that I wish photoshop had.

...... I honestly don’t know why people even use Gimp........

Well, lets try:
1. I've used it for years.
2. Tons of 3rd-party plug-ins.
3. It does everything I need it to do.
4. It works.
5. It's free.
6. I'm an old fart, and I really don't want to mess around learning a new app.

Well, lets try:
1. I've used it for years.
2. Tons of 3rd-party plug-ins.
3. It does everything I need it to do.
4. It works.
5. It's free.
6. I'm an old fart, and I really don't want to mess around learning a new app.

I've always used Gimp. Since all my computers run Linux, Gimp comes with most Linux distributions, so it's there.
I've also used mtpaint which also in some linux distributions. Mtpaint is good for quick cropping and resizing.

I also belong to the group described in 6. above!

You old farts should really give Krita a shot! it's also free and runs native on Linux, has a lot of features Gimp is lacking and isn't nearly as much of a clusterf*ck from a development standpoint.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back