• Yes - But I've made my own presets

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope, I edit from scratch

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • I don't edit my pictures

• I shoot jpeg

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I'm a Fujifilm shooter - Film Simulations FTW!

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I shoot film.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • I went to financial debt buying presets....

• Total voters
Yup there's a mistaken belief that if you buy XYZ presets, then your photo will look just like the sample. Unfortunately doesn't work that way.

I remember your parametric mantra. I work that way to a point, but when I get into some of further processing, there's just no way around it.
For me the way around it was to say goodbye to LR. Using LR I also found too often I was pushed to PS. I wanted that to stop and I wanted it to stop bad enough that I made the break. There's still an odd image that C1 or PL6 can't handle and I'm pushed to a raster editor (PS or AP) but I reduced the incidence of that dramatically with leaving LR.
LR updates have taken great strides but I don't think it will ever replace PS.
I've continued to have access to LR (employer supplied) and kept up with the changes and yes it's much improved but I suspect the Adobe engineers by simply knowing that the PS fall back is there lack some needed incentive.

I cast my vote for edit from scratch. However, I have a few Mastin Lab presets that I've used several times. I've saved my own preset if editing a batch from the same session or use the select all & sync method.

continued to have access to LR (employer supplied) and kept up with the changes and yes it's much improved but I suspect the Adobe engineers by simply knowing that the PS fall back is there lack some needed incentive.

It's always better to work non destructive as much as possible, but there comes a point, especially in advanced editing where you have to push some pixels around. Swapping backgrounds. Thinning necks, arms, tummies, and thighs. Repairing bad skin, bad hair crooked smile, the list goes on. About the only thing you can do is be cognizant of your layer stack, consolidating into smaller groups and don't flatten the file.

Never heard of presets before but guessing it's like what Picasa has. Yep do it all the time. Not a clue how to edit other wise. Works for me!

Since I primarily shoot wildlife, I really only do very minor corrections so presets really are just a waste since I can edit a photo usually in about 10-20 seconds.

A preset is a pre-selected set of edits. It can be any of the edits available in the app you're using. Sharpness, contrast, saturation etc....

I don't like using presets. I do copy my settings in the develop settings in LR when I have several photos which are similar. I have gone back and forth between RAW and Jpg. I've been saving to RAW since I got my R5, but have been playing with the Jpg files. I really can't see much difference in my PP between the two. I may just go back to Jpg.

I use them as a starting point, maybe to get an idea of where I want to get with the photo. I love some of the Photoworks effects, though, and use them a lot, but the complete presets are tricky, they might suit one picture and not the other, and if changes have to be done, why not do everything from scratch.

I do both, as the image may warrant. Any presets I use are in the NIK collection.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back