What's new

Girl in Chair

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Mar 23, 2012
Messages
3,160
Reaction score
717
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I can't remember if I posted this before, but I don't think I did.... anyway, here's a picture I took of a girl a while back at Friday Night Live. What do you think?

$Girl.webp

Thanks!
 
Well, the low vantage point makes her legs and feet look enormous, she looks like she is bored to death and rather uncomfortable, the red chair is distracting, the light is very harsh and flat, the shadows under her chin are terrible, the composition is dead center, the only thing in sharp focus is the front of her blouse, and the background is ugly.

Good white balance and exposure though.
 
And that was his good C&C..lOL Ed
 
Haha thanks, but this was a momentary thing, and I was in the audience and she was on stage so there's only so much that can be done.
 
Well, the low vantage point makes her legs and feet look enormous, she looks like she is bored to death and rather uncomfortable, the red chair is distracting, the light is very harsh and flat, the shadows under her chin are terrible, the composition is dead center, the only thing in sharp focus is the front of her blouse, and the background is ugly.

Good white balance and exposure though.

:lol:

As a man I knew once said to a lady who asked him for a compliment said...

"You know, for a fat girl... you don't sweat much!"
 
Haha thanks, but this was a momentary thing, and I was in the audience and she was on stage so there's only so much that can be done.

Pictures that aren't great should be either binned or used as object lessons for how to do it better next time. Where you had no possibility of doing it better, I would hav binned this one and moved on.
 
Haha thanks, but this was a momentary thing, and I was in the audience and she was on stage so there's only so much that can be done.

Sometimes you just have to know when to say "No". This is one of the times I would have just left my camera in the bag.
 
So is there a good way to do theatrical photography, or is it just a waste of time?
 
When the conditions aren't favorable, you just can't make it happen. Or you might have to take 100 to get 1 good one. If you don't get a keeper, accept it. That's just the way it is. You can't expect them all to be presentable.
 
So is there a good way to do theatrical photography, or is it just a waste of time?

There is nothing even remotely interesting about this image. It's a bored looking girl sitting on a chair in the middle of the stage unengaged with the camera or the photographer. Snap shot 101.

Theatrical photography -- how about a fancy costume with the actor/actress doing something interesting? Peter Pan swinging from a rope but made to look like he's flying. Shakespearian costumes. ANYthing. Come on, man. :er:
 
The rules of composition matter regardless of your subject. You can make a theatrical shot work no question, but this s just a dead-center shot of a woman sitting in a poor pose in a chair, and from a bad angle to boot. Just not great.
 
So is there a good way to do theatrical photography, or is it just a waste of time?

There is nothing even remotely interesting about this image. It's a bored looking girl sitting on a chair in the middle of the stage unengaged with the camera or the photographer. Snap shot 101.

Theatrical photography -- how about a fancy costume with the actor/actress doing something interesting? Peter Pan swinging from a rope but made to look like he's flying. Shakespearian costumes. ANYthing. Come on, man. :er:

Our school doesn't have a budget for that. Boring girls in chairs are the best we get ^-^
 
Hi.

This is my first post only joined 30 mins ago. I have been interested in photography for a very short time so be gentle with me!
Can I ask you what you had in mind when you took the photograph? You obviously saw something in it or you wouldn't have posted it.
I don't like the picture and agree with most of the comments ( although I think they come across a tad harsh)

i think the picture would benefit from a bit of creativity in photoshop and some heavy cropping.
As I said before would be really interested to hear your thoughts as to why you decided to post this particular photo.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom