Gitzo 3531 RRS BH-55 and Plate for Canon T3????

buckspa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey all. First time poster, long time browser. First, thanks for all the valuable insight you have lended. It took me to a whole new level. Anyway, my 1228 tripod crapped out after my 230 pound body landed on it :x . So, that puts me in the market for a new tripod. I have a 7D, and a heavily used backup Canon T3 body. I like the Gitzo GT3531 setup with the Really Right Stuff BH-55 head with Lever Release. Plates are undoubtedly available for my 7D, but I can't say for sure what plates I would need for the T3. Any thoughts on what would work with this setup?

Not sure about plates for the T3, you may need to get some kind of "one-size-fits-all" type plate for it.

But I just wanted to say the GT3531 is a great choice, I use one and it's absolutely fantastic. You won't be disappointed. I would recommend picking up some spikey feet for it though, they make some that take rubber caps for when you're inside.

gryphonslair, do you have experience with the Lever Release? Just curious how you came to the conclusion that the clamp is more secure? I'm not opposed to the Pro Kit. I may have to contact RRS directly, as the L Plate you linked is for the T3i, not the T3. The bodies are slightly different in size. Hopefully someone could answer which LR Plate or Clamp Plate would fit the T3.

I use a Markin's Lever Release and I trust it. I've read that the screw release was more useful if you have QR plates from several manufacturers, because you can adjust for slight differences. I only have 1 plate, so, the lever is quite secure for me.

gryphonslair, do you have experience with the Lever Release? Just curious how you came to the conclusion that the clamp is more secure? I'm not opposed to the Pro Kit. I may have to contact RRS directly, as the L Plate you linked is for the T3i, not the T3. The bodies are slightly different in size. Hopefully someone could answer which LR Plate or Clamp Plate would fit the T3.

If you are shooting quickly, catch a sleeve, finger what ever on the lever an pull it you now have an unsecured QR. Also, the Lever is set to latch at a certain distance. If you have a QR plate that is a bit worn, a fraction of a mm smaller then you don't get as secure a hold. With the knob type you can ratch it down as tight as you want.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back