Give away pictures for free???

dbvirago said:
I have to say, these are better than I was expecting. I really like 2 and 5. In the 1st one, straighten the horizon and next time, tone down the flash and bounce some light from underneath.

Yeah, I agree.

Thanks for the input! It's really interesting to hear the input. No flash was used on any of the pictures--- Pic 1 was just a bright, sunny morning. It's amazing I got any kind of picture out of the light that morning. Flash is something I still need to learn.... So while I don't understand it yet, I simply don't use it. Mom's wrists are cropped because it was originally a vertical picture but I thought she would be self-conscious...

2 and 5 are my girls. :) The other kids are friends.

I think these shots are of very good standard, and yes, you should charge for sessions.

It is not about how much you charge, it is the fact that people understand that you value your skill and time enough that you will not do it for free. If you are uncomfortable with whether or not / how much you should charge, why not do the session for free, but then your clients only pay for what they want? You can make the amount a summountable sum ($150 per image for example) or rather piddly ($5 for example). As long as you are honest and up-front about the costs, your clients will be too - and the fact that they only pay for what they want is a fair, and open ended way of doing things. You will also quickly learn that when people are paying for images, they suddenly become a lot more critical...so get your thickest skin on!

And as a by-note, Walgreens (I guess the same As ASDA and BOOTS here in the UK?) will offer a crazy variant in print quality. I have worked with minilabs for nearly a decade now, and it is remarkable how much tlc the chemistry and racks need to consistently produce high quality prints. That is the key - consistency. You are much better off going through a pro-lab, whose sole job is to produce your images to their consistantly excellent standard, than you are a shop which sells jeans and pineapples on the side. You may get excellent prints 10,20,30 times from Walgreens - but if you go in and get them done the day the chemistry dies, you will be utterly disappointed. Trust me.

Lots of helpful information here. Thanks so much! I don't mind offering free sessions to help build my portfolio. But I just don't want to set a bad precedent because in the next few years (once my girls start school), I do want to go into business full time. My biggest issue was how he feels since they are my friends I should just give them the pictures on a CD. The thing is, I know what I would have done back before I knew anything about photography---- if someone had given me a CD of pics, I would have taken it to Walgreens for development. I work hard at my photos so I don't just want them printed at Walgreen quality. My other issue is if I tell them how much the pictures are at cost then in a few years when I try to charge them 10-20 times that, they will know that my prices are inflated.

What is the best way to post pictures here? Directly from my computer or from a URL? I don't mind posting with hopes of getting helpful feedback and not too much criticism (I've already admitted I'm still learning!)

Well, first, I'd say that YOU need to understand that your prices will NOT be "inflated" when you go into business and start charging.
The way your price would be set (or SHOULD be set), once you start charging, is based on your CODB, cost of doing business. You'll likely need better equipment than you have now, at the very least a lens upgrade or two, some flashes, reflectors, softboxes, diffusers, etc. That cost money. Then there's the wear and tear on your equipment--every shutter actuation brings that camera a teensy bit closer to the time you'll have to replace it. Then there's your TIME--possibly a BIG difference here from doing a few shoots as a hobbyist. You'll spend considerably more time PROCESSING photos than taking them, so--unless you just enjoy working for less than minimum wage--that's gonna add a considerable chunk to the CODB. Then there's the business license, a marketing budget and all the other things I won't even go into (and lots of things *I* probably don't realize as well, since I'm not a pro). THAT is why you'll be charging them so much more.

Once YOU understand that, then perhaps you simply make your FRIENDS aware of that too: Just make them aware, up front, that while you "practice," they get to reap the benefit of cheap photography service, but if and when you decide to make a business of it, you'll have to charge them and then explain why. Friends don't want friends earning $1.50 an hour, after all. ;)

Thanks for the input! It's really interesting to hear the input. No flash was used on any of the pictures--- Pic 1 was just a bright, sunny morning. It's amazing I got any kind of picture out of the light that morning. Flash is something I still need to learn.... So while I don't understand it yet, I simply don't use it. Mom's wrists are cropped because it was originally a vertical picture but I thought she would be self-conscious...

Hmmm. I thought the light was coming from high and slightly behind the subject. Thought it was a flash giving the hot spot on the child's forehead. Regardless, you have to learn how to control the light. Most important, you need to understand what is right and wrong with each of these; how to recreate what is right and how to fix what is wrong. That said, you have a good eye and a solid grasp of the basics.

In terms of charging, I think you should be charging. If you really want to do something for free, then like someone said, give them a 90% discount with the knowledge that the discount is a one time only offer. Two reasons for this, 1) No matter what anyone says, it's hard to charge people after you have given them something for free and B) People want and expect to pay for professional photography. If yours are free, then they will have no value.

No flash on #1 ? Your Exif data shows flash fired.. I checked! That shot would be impossible without flash, or at least some good reflector usage. That is obvious, just looking at it.

[PhotoME]
PhotoME version: 0.79R17 (Build 856)

[Overview]
URL: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ay-pictures-free-skyleighbeachwatermark-l.jpg
File type: JPEG
File size: 147.4 KB
Creation date: 7/17/2012 11:04
Last modification: 5/29/2013 13:59
Make: NIKON CORPORATION (Nikon | Home)
Camera: NIKON D50
Software: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.4 (Windows)
Dimension: 800 x 573 px (0.5 MP)
Focal length: 18 mm
Aperture: F7.1
Exposure time: 1/500"
ISO speed rating: 200/24°
Program: Not defined
Metering Mode: Pattern
White Balance: Auto
Flash: Flash fired, auto mode, return light detected

Hmmm. I thought the light was coming from high and slightly behind the subject. Thought it was a flash giving the hot spot on the child's forehead. Regardless, you have to learn how to control the light. Most important, you need to understand what is right and wrong with each of these; how to recreate what is right and how to fix what is wrong. That said, you have a good eye and a solid grasp of the basics.

In terms of charging, I think you should be charging. If you really want to do something for free, then like someone said, give them a 90% discount with the knowledge that the discount is a one time only offer. Two reasons for this, 1) No matter what anyone says, it's hard to charge people after you have given them something for free and B) People want and expect to pay for professional photography. If yours are free, then they will have no value.

I don't totally disagree with this, it's just that, for me, if you're charging, then you'd better also have your business "ducks" in a row. Business license, state sales tax forms, quarterly income reporting. A LOT of the amateur photographers out there charging for sessions are NOT doing this, and many, many of them are getting away with it...for a season. And I have no idea whether the OP cares about keeping things completely ethical and legal or not, but for me personally, I just wouldn't charge unless I was willing to START THE BUSINESS and do it the right way. Because if you're one of the unlucky ones that the IRS *does* catch, it WILL end badly.

That actually surprises me but that's the one picture I took last year before I knew what I was doing. You can check the other pics--- they were all taken recently, no flash, manual. Sorry to mislead, I really did think it was no flash because it was such a bright, sunny day.

I really did think it was no flash because it was such a bright, sunny day.

This speaks VOLUMES about your knowledge of photography. Bright sunny days are often the days when you MOST need a flash.

My other issue is if I tell them how much the pictures are at cost then in a few years when I try to charge them 10-20 times that, they will know that my prices are inflated.
I find it utterly amazing just how many people don't get it.

Walgreens, or any other print lab, do not sell photographs. They sell paper, and ink. The print lab customer has to provide the photograph that a print lab prints.

No one can go to Walgreens or any other print lab, and get photographs you made printed, until they have some how gotten the photographs you have made from you.

You will be selling a luxury service, luxury product - custom made, high quality photographs.

That picture was taken last year when I didn't know what I was doing so I'm surprised the camera's flash came up in such bright light. And I have already admitted that I don't understand flash yet which is why I don't currently use it. Clearly I still don't know what I'm doing.... thanks for pointing that out.

I don't know. I think these look pretty good. Right on par with a lot of the established businesses where I live.

Thank you! I know I'm still learning.

I wont go into a whole dissertation on starting a business because you clearly stated that you aren't, but i will point out a few things.
(some of these thing you might care about, some you may not)
when you charge money, even at "cost", that is income and should be reported as such for tax purposes. i know many here would call that silly but im a stickler for that one. (wife did a portrait for a neighbor last year. ONE 8x10 print, nothing else. $75 cash. it got reported on our business taxes)
also, when you start charging money for your work, no matter what the cost is, you are putting yourself out there as a professional.
you are telling people "I produce professional quality work that is good enough to charge for". this doesn't mean that every picture has to be perfect before you can start charging. Lord knows I have been paid for work that was good, but not great. what it SHOULD mean is that you have enough knowledge, experience, and proper equipment to produce quality work on a consistent basis in many types of shooting conditions.

more important than any of those things is a well laid out business plan. when/if you ARE ready to make your photography a business, there is as much research and learning to do on good business practices as there is on the actual photography itself.

That actually surprises me but that's the one picture I took last year before I knew what I was doing. You can check the other pics--- they were all taken recently, no flash, manual. Sorry to mislead, I really did think it was no flash because it was such a bright, sunny day.

I would highly recommend that you get and learn to use, a good external flash! Especially if you are in any way, considering starting to shoot for money. Flash will allow you to shoot anywhere, anytime, any light... without it you are limited to ambient light (which is not usually a good thing). Many of us use flash even on bright, sunny days... myself included!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back