Give away pictures for free???

Id say at this point you should start researching the in's and out's of running a business. You will deal with that part more then you will taking photos, so start learning all you can. While you are learning and getting your ducks in a row you should start going out and working on the parts of photography you don't know. To many people get good at one thing and tend to stick to it instead of working on the areas of there photography that they are lacking in Hence the huge amounts of "natural light photographers" (no offence to anyone who is, but you should learn flash, learn how to cope with low light situation, learn to shoot different aspects of photography so you can become a well rounded photographer. By then you should have a good grasp on the fundamentals on the business side of things and ready to open shop.

Of the photos you posted I'd describe some as portraits and others more as the type pictures people take of their kids; but the photos seem to show that you have talent and potential to develop this into a photography business. The portraits of your kids are really quite lovely (I think adjusting exposure and framing etc. can be learned.)

I think it's a good idea to make clear from the beginning that this is (or will be once you get it off the ground) a business and it's your job/work. I wouldn't work for free - ask your husband if he wants to do his job/work and not get paid! LOL (He might be just as glad down the road when you're making some money at this!) I think you're right, if it's free now people may continue to have that expectation in the future.

When you start charging for your photos part of what people are paying for is not just your time but your training, even if you're self taught - it's the time you're spending learning and improving your skills, for portraits it could include buying lighting equipment and learning to use it, learning how to set yourself up in business, handling money and taxes, etc. etc.

It sounds like you're planning to spend time getting yourself set up in business instead of jumping into it which is probably a wise decision. That will give you time to keep working on your skills to be able to be consistent with getting a proper exposure and well framed photographs.

It sounds like you're planning to look into how to set up a business, where to get your prints done for future clients, etc. You could find info. on websites like ASMP and PPA; I recently got the latest edition of ASMP's book on professional business practices, as well as a book of sample photography forms by Tad Crawford. If you take some time to learn about doing this as a business that will probably be to your benefit in the long run.

Last edited:
Everyone here is so helpful. Thank yall very much! You are all definitely right..... I had no intention of starting my photography business just yet anyway so that gives me time to improve my photography, learn flash, and start to understand the business side of things. I'll just let all my Facebook fans know that I'm not re

I loved Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson for learning general non-flash photography. Does anyone know of a similar, simply written book, that teaches basic flash photography? Or a book that would help me specifically when it comes to using flash with portraits? What kind of flash should I look at getting? I don't even know where to start! (Sorry, maybe these questions are better asked on a different forum....)

Does anyone know of a similar, simply written book, that teaches basic flash photography? Or a book that would help me specifically when it comes to using flash with portraits? What kind of flash should I look at getting? I don't even know where to start! (Sorry, maybe these questions are better asked on a different forum....)

First, welcome aboard. As far as information on flash, you can find a lot of good information at The Strobist

I can't think if I ever actually read any specific single educational Thing on flash. I think I learned what a Guide Number was somehow years ago, and I've just thought through whatever it is that I know now in the intervening years. Of course you pick up a bit here and there when you're reading something specific on how to create some lighting pattern. Me, I'm the kind of guy where I have to make sense of it my own way anyways, so other people explaining it isn't that valuable for me. Just gimme the principles and then wait. Potentially for quite a while...

The thing about flash is that the principles are really pretty simple, and there's a ton of stuff that follows from them. Other things, there's a lot of principles, a lot of simple Facts You Gotta Know and Cannot Deduce.

Everyone's learning style is different, though!

Everyone here is so helpful. Thank yall very much! You are all definitely right..... I had no intention of starting my photography business just yet anyway so that gives me time to improve my photography, learn flash, and start to understand the business side of things. I'll just let all my Facebook fans know that I'm not re

I loved Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson for learning general non-flash photography. Does anyone know of a similar, simply written book, that teaches basic flash photography? Or a book that would help me specifically when it comes to using flash with portraits? What kind of flash should I look at getting? I don't even know where to start! (Sorry, maybe these questions are better asked on a different forum....)
Welcome to forum. You have successfully survived your first thread here with grace and class. :) You should be proud and you will do well here, as well as learn a ton! Stick around and I promise you will take so much away from this forum if you put yourself out there.

Welcome to TPF! I have only skimmed the responses, so I may be repeating what others have already said. If you charge ANYTHING (even a nickel), you are in business. If the tax man catches up with you, it can get ugly and expensive in a hurry. Until you are ready to set up a legal business with a business license, pay taxes, have insurance, etc; it is probably best to shoot your friends for free. Let them treat you to lunch or swap babysitting or whatever to return the favor.

Also, you mentioned not wanting to set a pricing precedent-- In general, your buddies that are lining up for free or very inexpensive sessions are probably not the same people that will be willing and/or able to pay full prices that reflect the full cost of running a legitimate business.

Welcome to forum. You have successfully survived your first thread here with grace and class. :) You should be proud and you will do well here, as well as learn a ton! Stick around and I promise you will take so much away from this forum if you put yourself out there.

Good post, I was really expecting to see a lot of bashing going on at this point. The Op has a lot to learn, the images posted were pretty much what I was expecting. The only thing I want to add is, don't rush into charging people for shoots, regardless of how great your face book friends believe they are, at this point in your photography, there is no pressure or stress to deliver consistently good photos, everything will change once you are being paid, you will start to stress over every detail, and it will only take one unhappy customer to de-rail your train.

Just enjoy what you are doing, you don't have to become a professional, it's an easy word to toss around, it's a tough word to consistently live up to.

When I first started I did not charge anything. I would get the concept in my head of what type of shoot I wanted to do, and then I would find the right people that I needed to fill those gaps. Once I was done, I would give them the top twenty or so images on a CD. I wanted the shoot to go the way I pictured it in my head. Therefore, I can't expect them to pay for it. I would also post watermarked images on my FB page to start building my portfolio. It was a win win situation. It is just like if you go to college, you have to pay for your education. Same here. You are paying, in terms of time and small amounts of product, to build your portfolio, get your name out there, and gain experience.

Thank you all very much for all of the great advice!

So although there are a number of people who have posted on Facebook that they want me to take their kid's pictures, until today no one had actually sent me a private message about it. Well today a good friend messaged me, asking if I would take portrait beach pictures of her girls. She even stated in her message that she is willing to pay me for my work. I sent her this message in response:

Yes, I would love to take your girls pictures on the beach one evening! I'm not planning on going into business just yet but it is a future goal that I have. Right now I'm trying to build my portfolio and to get experience. So basically I'm looking to shoot completely for free with your payment being permission to use the photos to better my business (like to display them on my business website, Facebook page, etc). And if you like any of the pictures that I take then I'll make prints for you at a very discounted rate. The 3rd or 4th week of June would likely work best for me. As far as what to wear--- it seems to me that white looks best but any color should work. Looking forward to it!

Guess I've got a lot to do between now and then to prepare for my first "official" photo shoot. By "discounted rate" I mean I'm going to give her pictures at cost so I'm not making any money off of the session. I'm sure to have plenty of questions as I prepare so I'm definitely glad I found such a helpful forum. Thank yall!!!

As long as you don't lose money doing any shoots, it's the hidden costs that you may not think about, gas being one of them, it's a small cost even if you only drive a few blocks, but it adds up. You could also barter for the shoots, if the person you are dealing with had something they could trade off, everyone wins. There was a thread started on her a few weeks back by Steve 5D that we talked about trading goods for services. It turns into a win/win

Most reactions

New Topics

Back